Infant Oatmeal!

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Falco, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Falco

Falco New Member

I've been looking for an alternative to Drive+ (Sorry Bryan, I was a faithful consumer, but the budget is getting tight these days).

I'm mixing egg & casein protein and then looking for a good, cheap carb to mix in for a post-workout meal. I think I found my solution with infant oatmeal cereal (We just had our second kid, so I had the stuff laying around to try). It mixes real easy with water or milk and is pretty much tasteless; it just thickens up the shake.

Here's the nutrition info:
    <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Per 1/4 Cup (15 g): Total Fat 1 g; Potassium 50 mg; Total Carbohydrate 10 g (Fiber 1 g); Protein 2 g; Calcium; Iron; Vitamin E; Thiamin; Riboflavin; Niacin; Phosphorus; Zinc; Oat Flour; Tri- and Dicalcium Phosphate; Soy Oil-Lecithin; Tocopherols (Vitamin E); Electrolytic Iron; Zinc Sulfate; Niacinamide</div>

I'm using 1/2 cup (so ~20 carbs) mixed with the protein and milk post-workout. The best part is that the stuff is cheap. A box will run you about $3 (15 servings if you double it like I am).

So what do you think? Is this a decent alternative for a man on a budget?

2. shwaym

shwaym New Member

lol good thinking [​IMG]

i take A LOT more carbs post even if i was cutting, part of that comes from fruit, dex/malt as well as minute Oatmeal.

i think quick oats are cheaper though arent they? like 3 bucks for one of those big silo things.

Also, where do you get your casein and at what price?

I pretty much want to get my post-w/o protein exclusivly from casein (in milk) but i end up using whey (in milk) just because its half the price.

3. Falco

Falco New Member

This is the Casein I use

Eating a bowl of Oatmeal would be a bit cheaper, but whole oats don't mix so well in a shake. The infant oatmeal mixes like a powder

4. shwaym

shwaym New Member

why must it be in shake form?

ya that casein is too much for me

5. Enigma66

Enigma66 New Member

Not sure if you'd be interested in doing it this way.... but if you use a blender instead of physically shaking it yourself I've found that it mixes in any oats just fine. Pulverizes them.

6. Falco

Falco New Member

<div>
    (Enigma66 @ Mar. 22 2006,18:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Not sure if you'd be interested in doing it this way.... but if you use a blender instead of physically shaking it yourself I've found that it mixes in any oats just fine. Pulverizes them.</div>
    Blender would be nice, but I have a 2 year old and a newborn and I work out early in the morning. I'm trying not to make so much noise. [​IMG]