interesting thread

Well...I have for one bought into a simple concept that seems to work regardless.

Keep your total reps per muscle group between 50 and 100 a week. ( I would say shoot for 100 reps for the lighter loads and then 50 reps would be plenty when it gets real heavy)

95% of your exercises should be compounds to get those reps in (ie) Bench,Row,Squat,Deads,Military Presses....etc.

Get your protein in "no matter what"

And eat...eat and eat.

If you do this you will grow regardless IMO.

So that could be once a week at 100 reps

Twice a week at 50 reps

Or HST 3 times a week at 30 reps!

I promise you if you increase the load...eat the required protein and get in the excess calories NO MATTER WHAT...even if you have to eat a OREA COOKIE to put you over your required calories then you will gain muscle. IMO
biggrin.gif

Hallo,

I have been working out using HSt method, since april 2002. Initially 3 times a week 1 exercise per bodypart.
Mostly compound exercises. One-hour sessions.
Had very nice results. ( Posted them long time ago under membername André, cannot get access anymore,well anyway)

When progress stopped, tried working out every 48 hours, every 36 hours, ( mondaymorning, tuesdayevening,thursdaymorning, fridayevening, sundaymorning etc), varied length and number of cardio sessions, more protein,less protein,whatever..

Lost interest, regained interest, etc etc.

Now in my 19th HSt cycle, i can say that since i stopped counting reps alltogether two years ago, just ramping up workloads everytime starting from workout one in each cycle and continuing throughout th full 6 to 8 weeks,
feeling the load "pulling" at the muscles involved and using just one workingset-only till muscles are pumped,full,heavy or "done"' (where did i read that before),

i again got the best results hypertrophy-wise.

Using compounds only also helps, and training in the basic 3 time a week HST fashion.

Excuse me for my pore english, did not use for a long time.

Bye
Andre

Oh yes, forgot.... use patience.results will come sllloooow eventually. Don't need to change a lot.

bla bla bla

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Aug. 19 2007,09:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well...I have for one bought into a simple concept that seems to work regardless.

Keep your total reps per muscle group between 50 and 100 a week. ( I would say shoot for 100 reps for the lighter loads and then 50 reps would be plenty when it gets real heavy)

95% of your exercises should be compounds to get those reps in (ie) Bench,Row,Squat,Deads,Military Presses....etc.

Get your protein in &quot;no matter what&quot;

And eat...eat and eat.

If you do this you will grow regardless IMO.

So that could be once a week at 100 reps

Twice a week at 50 reps

Or HST 3 times a week at 30 reps!

I promise you if you increase the load...eat the required protein and get in the excess calories NO MATTER WHAT...even if you have to eat a OREA COOKIE to put you over your required calories then you will gain muscle. IMO
biggrin.gif
</div>
YESYESYES SPOT ON JOE MA MAN! i reckon that's a GREAT summary ay! but yeah THAAAT's the thing i'm debating regarding total volume (whether it be per week or per muscle group/session)! i don't know if what i'm doing is enough, i still think that enough volume is needed of course to elicit that microtrauma (without OVERdoing it though ;) ), but with the right load for THAT PARTICULAR volume, arrrrgh i need to read more as if i haven't enough... lol

ALSO, why do you say between 50 and 100 total reps per week? if it's based on real-life studies, can i have the links please? thanks heaps dude!
biggrin.gif

and welcome to the forum again Andre! what's your opinion on volume? what volume did you use to start with? hehehe sorry for swamping questions at you ;). hmmm it sounds as though you worked the muscle/s until they FELT done, i'm wondering about that cos even bryan himself says that you can TELL if you've done enough to elicit growth.

okay, sssssseeya!
smile.gif

The 50 to 100 reps is derived from Kelly Baggett and Lyles Forum.

It seems to be right on with my expierence in the Iron game of 13 + years.

Just look at all of the crappy and good routines and they fall in that category still for example.

Old school recommendation based on 12 sets per large muscle group of 6 to 10 reps falls inside those guidelines.

Lyles routine falls inside those guidelines.

Waterbury routines.

HST

max stim....

etc.

check out Higher-faster-sports with Kelly Bagget!

Yeah...he seems to be right on with his advice.

I like his bodybuilding articles..pretty straight forward/funny and good advice!

Hallo To Simon,

When i started out HST 1 st cycle , april 2002,
cycle consisted of 6 weeks, 17 workouts in total.
1 st 6 workouts 1 to 2 sets of 15 reps
2nd 6 workouts 1 to 2 sets of 10 reps
last 5 workouts 2 sets of 5 reps.

Full body workouts.Total 16 exercises.
Average duration of workout 40-45 minutes.
Low impact-low intensity cardio on non HST-days: 400 calories a session.
Eating every 3 hours,slightly below maintenancelevel.
High protein,moderate carbs,low fat.

Always increasing load throughout cycle.

My present cycle (cycle 19) i calculated as follows:
I do know my max load which i can handle for three sets of 5 reps.
From that load i calculate seven steps back.
3 workouts a week, cycle of 8 weeks., allows me to use each of the three workouts of the week different exercises.
All ( or mostly ) compound exercises.

Because i make bigger jumps in load that way, you WILL for sure feel the difference as opposed to smaller increments , repeating the same exercises too often.

Now, concentrate on these loads from the moment you grip the weights.Just pull slowly with your muscles, feeling the load on them, instead of focussing on target-numbers of repetitions to be reached.

Make the movements full, controlled and keep on pulling with your muscles well before you reach failure but until its not longer possible to move these weights in that fassion anymore.

Also, i have given up on the two weeks negatives or continuation of 5 RM's as the final two weeks in an 8-week cycle.

Instead you in this structure you will be able to work up to 3 x 5 RM over a full 8 week period with considerable loadincreases, and without too much volume-worries.

Large Relative Loadincreases All the Way,way to go.

Hope you will enjoy it, good luck!

Bye
André
The Hague,Netherlands

Hi Andre,

It is inspiring to hear from one of the long-time HSTers. Can I ask some more questions?

Are you working with 3 sets per exercise throughout the whole 8-week cycle?

Are you doing the 15s and 10s as well?

How do you warm up for each lift?

Do you SD after every 8-week cycle?

<div>
(navigator @ Aug. 21 2007,03:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hi Andre,

It is inspiring to hear from one of the long-time HSTers.  Can I ask some more questions?

Are you working with 3 sets per exercise throughout the whole 8-week cycle?

Are you doing the 15s and 10s as well?

How do you warm up for each lift?

Do you SD after every 8-week cycle?</div>
We normally don't work off of sets...but you could if you want to. We normally shoot for around 30 reps total.

So in sets that 2 sets of 15, 3 sets of 10....6 sets of 5...but you could drop the 5's to 20 reps or 4 sets.

A lot of us skip the 15's but I don't recommend you do. Do at least 1 to 2 cycles of 15's first...it helps with recovery and joints.

Yes we warm up...or greese the groove with lighter weights.

We warmup but a real light set or two of the exercise we are starting with...then depending on each individual they may or may not warm up after there first exercise unless they feel the need to.

Some do 5 to 10 mins on cardio bike...real easy just to break a sweat!

Yes you must SD after each cycle and SD before your first cycle.

All of this above needs to be done with a Calorie surplus as WELL.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info! I do understand the idea of working to a rep-quota, but it is not clear to me that Andre is doing so because he mentions working up to 3x5RM.

With regard to warming up, I was curious what Andre does because some people like to ramp up to a work set on each exercise (i.e., like the Intermediate 5x5) whereas others prefer to just warm up muscle groups with the first exercise.

Also, with the SD thing, I'm just wondering what is Andre's preference. I recall that some people don't SD after every 8-week cycle (Dan Moore comes to mind).

I'm just very interested in Andre's experience because has been using HST for so long, and because he mentioned his gains having slowed down, and then he found ways to start gaining again without jumping from routine to routine and all that.

Well...a couple of things to consider.

How long have you been lifting?

If you are fairly new to lifting then do just as we recommend.

Bottom line is you can count sets or reps...but the idea is to progress in load every workout.

Were SD comes into play is making the muscle tissue detrained or &quot;softer&quot; that when you do start back working out as sub-maximal weights the muscle responds and grow b/c of SD.

What Dan and some of the other guys do as well as myself sometimes is De-load which is cutting down volume of your workout greatly.

Quite honestly if this is your first HST routine you need to go right by the book.

Do not tweak HST at least until after 2 cycles.

So my recommendation are.

First SD for 10 days.

Start you cycle with a rep count of 30 reps

Start with the 15's and keep going until the end of the cycle.

Make sure you are increasing load each workout...and dont forget to eat everything in sight.

USE Compounds see the simply and win thread.

ITs that simple. IMO
biggrin.gif

Hello Navigator,

I will try to answer your questions:

Not counting reps and sets means not counting reps and sets.

I know that the sample basic HST routine as outlined in the website ( or at least it was when i started) consists of 2 weeks 2 sets of 15's, 2 weeks 2 sets of 10's, 2 weeks 2 sets of 5's, and finally either 2 weeks of 2 sets of 5RM's, or a final 2 weeks of negatives.

That is a good routine to start with and can be done multiple cycles, with an inbetween SD period of 2 weeks every time.

Later on, on the forums, volumecontrol became popular.

What i personally think contriibuted to overcome stagnating growth, was not to train more ( both volume-wise or more frequent), but to split the exercises i used to divide over two different alternating workouts (A and B), now spreading over 3 different workouts per week instead ( A B and C).

So to be specific: Workout A monday, B wednesday, C friday.

I try to minimize time-impact and keep the workout within one hour.That's possible except for maybe the last few workouts( week 8).

Average Five exercises per workout.

Workout A:
Squat to Parallel
Bench Press ( very low incline)
Reverse grip Weighted Chins
Shrugs
Standing Incline EZ SkullCrusher
Standing Calf Raises

Workout B:
Reverse grip Barbell Row
Bent over Weighted Dips
Olympic Style Overhead Shoulder Press
Standing EZ Bar curl
Seated Calf Raises

Workout C:
Regular Deadlift (under/overgrip)
Dumbbell Pullover
Small grip Bench Press
Seated one arm Dumbbell Curl
Standing Calf Raises

Now as i mentioned, i don't count reps. Still, to have a target load to work up to for the last and heaviest workouts of week 8 of the cycle, i must know what weights i can barely handle in good form for three sets of five reps. ( so for all exercises of workout A B and C )

To give an example:
Suppose your 3 x 5 load for Squat is 150 kilograms.
thats your workoad in week 8 as part of workout A)

Calculate bacwards:
week 7 140 kilograms
week 6 130 kg
week 5 120 kg
week 4 110 kg
week 3 100 kg
week 2 90 kg
week 1 80 kg

In that way you have nice large ( percentage-wise ) load increases. These larger load-increases are far more important (IMO) than clustering reps using volume control system or whatever.

And, but of course that is also my personal view from experience, i believe in calculating back from the final and heaviest load, and not starting with too light a load at the beginning of your cycle.

No,I wont use 3 sets throughout the cycle.

Now , staying with the squat as example, for the first and lightest wotkout of the cycle i just go under the bar with the load involved, and start squatting under tension as long as my body can handle the strain of the load. No counting involved, keep going until you are on fire or whatever you want to call it.
Lactid acid buildup.(Hm sounds pretty)

So one set per exercise for the early phase of the cycle .
If you insist on numbers, well i gues maybe 30 ,40 reps and decreasing in week 2 to 20 , 15?
IMO:no second set needed if you are already rubbing your burning sensations if you know what i mean.

Then of course the loads become more and more difficult to really &quot;feel&quot; on the muscle itself as the loads become heavier during the cycle ( at least thats in my case: difficulty sensing the weight instead of just wanting to push it)
In that case : throw in another set. And again:dont count the reps but let the load become your &quot;tool&quot; to finish what you are after and that is causing microtrauma to the muscles involved.

Never go to failure though...

So do i do 15'and 10's ? i think you can call it that way, although i dont feel &quot;harnassed&quot; to reprangesanymore .
Al long as the loads ( again..) jump higher and higher..

I dont believe in repeating the same workloads,tried that but got better results ramping up quickly.

In the final two weeks of course the weights are that heavy that, again,depending on how i feel the load on the muscles, i throw in maybe an extra third set.At most.

Warmups: yes i do them on main exercises like squats deadlifts and rows, : 1 set of 5 reps with 50 % of workingset-weight, 1 set of 3 reps with 70% of workingset-weight, and 1 set of 80 %.
For remainder of exercises like shoulders, triceps and biceps i use 1 set of 5 reps with 70 % of workset-load.

Pretty sure you can be in and out within an hour.

SD i do always, and always after the eighth week.Always, even if i think i can go on for another week (or two.)

I feel ( again maybe just me) that sustaining 5RM periods ,negatives, after already such a strenuous (?) 6 - 8 weeks gave me small but irritating elbow,wrist and shoulder and knee pains and strains.

Since working up this slightly different way and using HST's same methodic loading scheme, made new growth possible and no more injuries. ( hm, so far..)

Oh yes, about my eating slightly below maintenance, and adding in cardio : that simply had to do with my targets then: to come down from above 20% bodyfat to a more reasonable 15%.

I dont believe in eating everything in sight unless you have a skeleton-type of body.
Depend of course on your goal, but i would say, if you want to lose fat:
use the same HSTworkout principles you would when trying to bulk up, but eat slightly below maintenance ( find that out first of course), with focus on high protein, low but essential fats, and moderate in slow complex carbs.Dont forget your pre and post workout-shake!
And throw in some cardio on non HSt days.

On the other hand, when you try to bulk, you dont need to eat much above maintenance either..

Cut until you have visible abs ,whether that is 12% , 10% or 8% or whatever, (if you still feel well of course)

Then slightly build up the contents of each meal again.
Always eat around eacht three hours, a small meal.

Well, bedtime for me, i hope this is of some help.

Andre

Hey, nice info Andre, and btw, nice name! (same as mine)

I myself have been not making progress for a while, but that is possibly because I have dieted down 12 kgs (26-27 pounds) in 5 months. So it will probably take time before i see new personal records.
I also think I might be on my way to get overtrained since I havent had a break from training for a looong long time. Recently started a week off and many of my symptoms has started to disappear, extreme allergy, much worse astma than normal, more skinrash than i usually have. I also had low energy levels and decreased strength and lowered recovery and it &quot;feels&quot; like they are disappering too now but I cant know for sure until i start to train again.
Ill see when I start again if I can train the same way I usually do or if I should adjust frequency/volume or something.

/André
biggrin.gif

Hi fellow-André,

good to read you are just as human as me, with ups and downs, and skinrash ,whatever.

You mention not having a break from training for a long time..
You mean you were not having regular SD periods after your cycles?

Or did you prolongue your last cycle in order to continue cutting?

( Or maybe you just did not use HST method as workout-regime)

Anyway, congratulations with losing that much bodyweight. A pound a week, five months long, thats not bad at all.
Did you meet your bodyfat-target , or somewhere in the neighbourhood? (abs visible )

Maybe a good time to start eating somewhat normally, just above maintenance-level.

If you've been dieting so long, and losing weight as a result, it will take not too many calories above maintenance to create an anabolic response when you will start training again.

Just wait another week..( or maybe two, or three..)

And then:
Combine that eating strategy with a simple 3 day a week HST routine using basic compounds and good load progression, and ENJOY, without too much worries on sets,reps,diets.

O, are you Dutch? I mean, if so , i hope your membername Sniggel isnot your nickname
laugh.gif

Rest a bit
and wish you good luck with your renewed training efforts coming months!

Bye
André

Back