LDU's 1st HST training cycle (LOG)

LDU

Hey all,

today was my first HST training session, and i loved it! but was i shocked!

Here it is, all 2 sets of 15

decline bench 36kg -79lbs
Lat pull down 30kg - 66
DB shoulder Press 10kg-22lbs per DB
dumbell bicep curl - 13kg- 28.6lbs per DB
Lying tri press - 24k-52.8lbs
deadlifts 64kg - 140lbs
BB shrugs 58kg -127lbs

this was one intense session, the burn and pump was crazy, i thought this would be a walk in the park, i did the reps nice and slow and was struggling on the 2nd set of a few excercises. This will be a tough 2 weeks, maybe ive set my 15RM to high? well we'll see!
Ill take measurements tomorrow when my body tape arrives and relly see how much size this HST will put on me.

Currently slowly upping calories to around maintenance and then into surplus for the 10's onwards.

i took a starting pic which ill post tomorrow

Regards

Jason

i did the reps nice and slow and was struggling on the 2nd set of a few excercises.
Don't worry. That's often the case after a period of SD. If you set your maxes and increments correctly, you will find that your strength will pick up each workout.

If I were you I'd pick your cals up now.

thanks for the reply lol, yer was shocked to say the least at how hard the session was, ive never hit over 6 reps for anything in the last 6 months so my muscles would definitley not be used to it!
Calories heading back up this week, im thinking 3000 per day, ill be at 193lbs (pic attached)

Any info on the amount of caloric surplus to maximise mass and minimise fat gain would be appreciated.

I cant wait for my next session!

LDU, what %age of your 15RM did you use on your first session? If you are not used to 15s and SDed, I have to tell you, it is not going to be pretty :)
Regarding the calories, depends on how you want to go with this. If you want to grow as much as possible and is willing to put a little extra fat in the process try upping the calories to the higher end of whatever calculation you are using and if during the course of the cycle you think you are gaining too much fat you slowly reduce the surplus until you think that fat gain is under control. If you want to get as little fat as possible but reduce your potential gains you can start with a 100-200 calories surplus and slowly raise that if you think you are not gaining weight/LBM. Formulas can only do you so much until you need to listen to your body and adjust things according to your own necessities.

LDU, what %age of your 15RM did you use on your first session? If you are not used to 15s and SDed, I have to tell you, it is not going to be pretty :)
Regarding the calories, depends on how you want to go with this. If you want to grow as much as possible and is willing to put a little extra fat in the process try upping the calories to the higher end of whatever calculation you are using and if during the course of the cycle you think you are gaining too much fat you slowly reduce the surplus until you think that fat gain is under control. If you want to get as little fat as possible but reduce your potential gains you can start with a 100-200 calories surplus and slowly raise that if you think you are not gaining weight/LBM. Formulas can only do you so much until you need to listen to your body and adjust things according to your own necessities.

thanks electric, i used 36kg, max is 60kg, so around 60% i guess of my 15RM, and today im sore as hell! Im not used to any more than 6 reps and anymore than a 7 day SD. I agree this is going to be one tough cycle of 15's!
Not worried about fat at all, just dont want any uneccesary fat gains. ive worked out maintanence caloires for my weight are around 2800per day. (32 x 88.5kg). Im thinking ill start at 3300 per day aiming for about 1 - 1.5lbs weight gain per week. any more ill reduce calories, less ill increase them.

I have session number 2 tonight, this is going to be insane! cant wait!

thanks alot for the info!

tonight was my 2nd session for the 15's. Another tough one although slightly more comfortable than the first. Had some sorness before training.

decline bench 41kg -90lbs
Lat pull down 35kg - 77
DB shoulder Press 10kg-22lbs per DB
dumbell bicep curl - 16.5kg- 36lbs per DB (2nd set clustered reps, 8, 4, 3)
Lying tri press - 21kg-46lbs (first session was 19kg not 24kg as listed)
deadlifts 71kg - 156lbs
BB shrugs 63kg -138.6lbs

Hit all 15reps for both sets
Measurements for comparison at end of cycle

right bi 37cms - 14.6inch
left bi 36cms - 14.2inch
chest 102cms-40.2inch
shoulders 118cms - 46.5inch
waist 92 - 36.2inch

Last edited:
3rd session tonight of the 15's. felt good , no real soreness, energy levels high. Had a training partner so slightly longer rests between sets.

Here it is, all 2 sets of 15

decline bench 45kg -90.2lbs
Lat pull down 40kg - 88
DB shoulder Press 10kg-22lbs per DB 1st set(forgot to up weight) 2 sets 13kg-28.6lbs per DB
barbell bicep curl - 26kg- 57.2lbs
Lying tri press - 20k-44lbs
deadlifts 76kg - 167lbs
BB shrugs 68kg -149.2lbs

supps
controlled labs green mag creatine
controlled labs white flood

overalll really good session, slowly working alot of the soreness out i got throught the MAX OT

worked out why biceps curls were killing me,was doing DB curls with the 15rm worked out on BB curls so the weight was way too high for DB curls.Barbell curls from here on in.

Last edited:
Session 4,
weight up around 2lbs since starting bulk 7 days ago.
Soreness now ok, a little after each session but nothing too bad. These 15's are still tough sessions, massive burn, there really tiring. Looking forward to starting the 10's soon.
Struggled today on second set of bicep curls (9reps) and lying tri ext (11 reps).
I believe i read somewhere that its most important to hit the 15reps first set and that not hitting 15 second set is nothing to worry about, can someone please confirm this for me.

Weight 89.5kg 197lbs
supps -
COntrolled labs white flood
" " green mag creatine
WPC

decline bench 51kg -112.2lbs
Lat pull down 45kg -99lbs
DB shoulder Press 13kg-28.6lbs per DB
barbell bicep curl - 31kg- 68.2lbs (2nd set 9 reps)
Lying tri press - 23k-50.6lbs (2nd set 11 reps)
deadlifts 81kg - 178.2lbs
BB shrugs 71kg -156.2lbs

LDU, not hitting the 15 reps on assistance exercises is not a big deal since you have already worked those muscles on the compounds. If you are frequently not getting the 15 reps maybe you've set your load too high or the volume is too much. It is not really a big deal but pay close attention to signs of overtraining and reduce volume and load to avoid it.

Thanks electric,

ill also try add a little more rest in between sets to see if that helps, and this was the first week i didnt hit 15 reps for everything, only 2 sessions to go on the 15's

Session 5
weight 89.7kg - up 1.2kg(2.5lbs)
calories around 3000 to 3200 per day, increasing to 3500 next week.
Overall felt good, hit 15 reps for everything, increased break between sets to 1 min
supps
white flood, green mag creatine
other supps taken daily, NOW joint formula, AST multi

Seem to be looking fuller since starting the 15's, havent taken measurents yet, will save until after the complete cycle.

Decline bench 56kg -123.2lbs
DB Rows 30kg(66lbs per DB) x 10reps x 1 set, 20kg(44lbs) x 15reps x 1 set injury in arm and irritates during lat pulldown, still not the best during DB Rows, Will try close grip pulldown next session.
DB shoulder Press 15kg-33.3lbs per DB
barbell bicep curl - 34kg- 74.8bs (2nd set 9 reps)
Lying tri press - 25kg 55lbs
Deadlifts 88kg-193.6lbs
BB shrugs 78kg -171.6lbs

Session 6 - End of the 15's

Found the 15's hard and painful.

weight 89.7kg, uparound 2.5lbs, 1.2kg

Heres the measurments update,

before AFTER
right bi 37cms - 14.6inch 37.6cms 14.8inch (+.6cms, +.2inches)
left bi 36cms - 14.2inch 37cms 14.6inches ( + 1cm,+ .4inches)
chest 102cms-40.2inch 105.5 41.5inches (+ 3.5cms , +1.3inches) checked this 4 times to see if accurate
shoulders 118cms - 46.5inch 118cms 46.5inch no change
waist 92 - 36.2inch 91.4cms 36 inches (- .6cms,-.2inches)

Very happy with the growth!

supps same as listed previously.

decline bench 60kg -132lbs
Close grip pull down 55kg -121lbs (changed to close grip due to arm injury, alot better)
DB shoulder Press 18kg-39.6lbs per DB
barbell bicep curl - 28kg- 61.6lbs
Lying tri press - 28k-61.6lbs
deadlifts 91kg - 200.2lbs
BB shrugs 83kg -182.6lbs

Session 6 - End of the 15's

Found the 15's hard and painful.

weight 89.7kg, uparound 2.5lbs, 1.2kg

Heres the measurments update,

before AFTER
right bi 37cms - 14.6inch 37.6cms 14.8inch (+.6cms, +.2inches)
left bi 36cms - 14.2inch 37cms 14.6inches ( + 1cm,+ .4inches)
chest 102cms-40.2inch 105.5 41.5inches (+ 3.5cms , +1.3inches) checked this 4 times to see if accurate
shoulders 118cms - 46.5inch 118cms 46.5inch no change
waist 92 - 36.2inch 91.4cms 36 inches (- .6cms,-.2inches)

Very happy with the growth!

I hope the 15s being painful was just metabolic pain and not anything more serious.

You added over an inch to your chest measurement in just 2 weeks of 15s?! I'll bet you are happy with the growth. If you've recently started taking creatine that might explain some of it -- some folks get a bit of water retention. There could also be some increase in intra-muscular glycogen storage due to the high rep work. Actual skeletal muscle remodeling usually takes a good 8 weeks to show up measurably. Certainly, by the end of the cycle you should have some solid gains that will stick around for longer.

Keep up the good work!

hi LOL thanks for drooping in!

painful in a good way! massive burn!

yer i must have measured differently somehow on chest, i dunno. cant explain it, i think my chest is looing bigger than before.

Also been on creatine for a long time, at least 4 months with out any time off.

Looking forward to the 10's now and really growing, i think next cycle ill start on 12 reps assuming im injury free.

Id love to get both arms to 15inches this cycle, that would be great! and 16 inches by the end of year and chest 45 inches!

was thinking about the difference in chest size. one reason could be i either measured wrong the first time. The other think i was thinking is that they way i measure incorporates lats and back also, i could have gained a little in each area to add up to a bigger overall gain.
Who knows, see what happens after the 10's! just about to have my pre workout and smash it!

Session 1 of the 10's x 2 sets

usual supps used.

Hit 10 reps for everything listed. Noticed vascularity has increased through shoulders.

Good session overall, the 10 reps felt good. Prefer over the 15's

Decline bench 48kg -123.2lbs Stuffed this up, should have been 56kg ( including bar)
Close Grip Pulldown 50kg x 110lbs
DB shoulder Press 15kg-33.3lbs per DB
barbell bicep curl - 21kg , 46.2lbs- for 2 sets of 10 then realised id stuffed this weight up also, then 1 set @ 28kg 61.6lbs (including Bar)
Lying tri press - 25kg 55lbs (not including bar)
Deadlifts 91kg - 200.2lbs (including bar)
BB shrugs 88kg-193.6lbs(including bar)

Session 2 of the 10's

supps used,
USPlabs Jack3d (alot smoother than the white flood)
Controlled labs green mag creatine
WPC

starting to look noticeably fuller. Biceps, Chest and back/Lats especially.

as you may notice for some exercises im repeating the load, ie for shoulders. (kg) 15, 15, 18, 18, 20, 20. Can i get some info whether this is ok and the pro and cons. (If any.) I also changed starting weights so as not to zig zag too much.

all weights listed include bar weight, previously some were included, some were not.

10 reps hit on all sets

Decline bench 61kg -134.2lbs x 3 sets - will add a 3rd set on (for the 10's) in the future depending on how i feel at the end of the 2nd set.
Close Grip Pulldown 55kg x 121lbs x 3 sets
DB shoulder Press 15kg-33.3lbs per DB x 2 sets
barbell bicep curl - 28kg , 61.6lbs x 2 sets
Lying tri press - 31kg 68.2lbs x 2 sets
Deadlifts 91kg - 200.2lbs x 3sets
BB shrugs 91kg-200.2lbs x 2 sets

Last edited:
Session 3 of the 10's

Weight 91.5kg 201.3lbs (+ 3kg, 6.6lbs)
supps used,
Controlled labs green mag creatine
WPC

Did the reverse session tonight, probably wont do again unless as the start of a 2 week cycle on lower weights, got to bench press last and stabiliser muslces were fried, could press ok but couldnt stabilise the bar, it was swaying all over the place. It was so weird, never experienced anything like it before. Even had trouble unracking the bar. Did first set on decline and second set on flat.

Was really pumped afterwards, never looked so big after a session or any other time actually. Was tempted to snap a pic but thought id wait until the end of the whole cycle.

10 reps on all sets

BB shrugs 91kg-211.2lbs x 2 sets
Deadlifts 96kg - 211.2lbs x 2sets
Lying tri press - 34kg, 74.8lbs x 2 sets
barbell bicep curl - 34kg , 74.8lbs x 2 sets
DB shoulder Press 18kg-39.6lbs per DB x 2 sets
Close Grip Pulldown 55kg x 121lbs x 2 set
Decline bench 68kg -149.6lbs x 2 sets

Back