"learning" to do squats

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by hardvig, Aug 2, 2013.

1. hardvig

hardvig New Member

I was just having a discussion with a friend of mine regarding my squat technique (or rather lack of...)

I know what the correct technique is
    Arch your back
    brace your abs
    look ahead or up
    put the weight on the heels
    squat below horizontal
    don't let your upper body go below 45 degrees

The

2. hardvig

hardvig New Member

Stupid iPad :(

...keep your knees from going over your toes

The problem that i have, and the subject of the discussion is, that when i follow the rules above, i fall on my ass...

I say that my problem is that i have the wrong dimensions (length og legs/upper body) to do squats properly, my friendly argues that i am an idiot and should just learn to do it...

But when i already have the weight on my heels, how in the world am i going to get my knees behind my toes (move the weight further back, without falling over backward?

Or am i right in saying that i just have the wrong dimensions for squats?

3. Bulldog

Bulldog Active Member

You have to make sure your feet are wide enough so that you can squat "between" your legs.

squat.JPG

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. dempsey

dempsey Member

This is a good vid to watch it helped me decide that high bar squats are infact better for me after a few years of trying to get the low bar Ripptoe style of squats to feel
    correct, which never happened! lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  5. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

6. manimal

manimal New Member

7. BPM

BPM Member

Also, try to sit instead of just bending at the knees, plus concentrate on raising your rear as you ascend.