Let's talk Nutrient/Calorie DENSITY!!!

_Simon_

okay, i've been searching through the forums but can't yet find one topic dedicated to calorie/nutrient dense foods.

i know that rice is more nutrient dense than potatoes in terms of carbohydrates.

what are some tips or ideas regarding eating more nutrient dense foods (and not just say, adding fat because fat is more calorie dense, i mean more dense forms of protein/carbohydrate/fat foods)?

cheers!!!
smile.gif

HAHAHA!!! thanks guys, i know that peanut butter has calorie-dense fats and olive oil too.
BUT! ;)

ok, but any carbohydrate ideas? protein ideas? lol
biggrin.gif

Have you read the label on a peanut butter jar? Seriously, like omg, really. You can't ask for a better combination of protein, carbs and fats. Like lol, I mean, just read one label sometime.

Look here
biggrin.gif
these are the stats for the reduced fat peanut butter I just found in my cupboard:

Per 1 tablespoon
6 grams fat (only 1 is saturated, the rest are poly and monounsaturated)
7 grams carbs (1 is fiber)
5 grams protein

hope that helps ;)

haha! thanks totentanz!

yeah i have read peanut butter labels yeah, but yeah i guess that's the thing though! i'd have to have a LOT of peanut butter for my needs!
biggrin.gif

I'm just checking the peanut butter in our pantry now haha, and it's got 4.1g protein, 10.5g fat, 3.1g carbs per 1 Tablespoon.

it's pretty good i GUEEESS hehe but i'm looking for things which i can have AS a main carb source AND a main protein source that is very dense in it's nutrient (are there any 100% protein sources? hehe)

thanks!
laugh.gif

Generally, it's difficult to find anything that is carb or protein dense. Several types of fish can be found for quite cheap that are usually almost all protein. When cutting, I check out the cheapo-mart around here and can find fillets that have 16 grams of protein per fillet and only half to one gram of fat in them (according to the label) so you could try checking those out.

For 100% carb source, you can look to sugar. It's all carbs, nothing else. Can't get much more carb dense than that. I guess you could sprinkle sugar on the fish fillets I mentioned above to get a source dense in protein and carbs, but not in fat. Haha.

Fish and lean meats such as 95/5 ground beef or skinless chicken will be mostly protein. Vegetables and fruit are mostly carbohydrates.

Low fat meal replacements and drinks may be what you're looking for. Maybe powdered egg whites that you can add to other foods.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Aug. 12 2007,20:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Have you read the label on a peanut butter jar?  Seriously, like omg, really.  You can't ask for a better combination of protein, carbs and fats.  Like lol, I mean, just read one label sometime.</div>
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

ahaha cool thanks heaps

but yeah, i'm looking for something that's nutrient DENSE as opposed to ummm nutrient isolated lol
eg something which has MORE grams of protein/carbs per 100g of the food itself. like, most rice has about 70grams of carbs per 100g of rice, whereas potatoes is well something like 20g of carbs per 100g. rice would be more NUTRIENT DENSE than rice

i'll keep the search up however haha thanks

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">rice would be more NUTRIENT DENSE than rice</div>

Than potatoes is what you meant...

<div>
(colby2152 @ Aug. 14 2007,08:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Than potatoes is what you meant...</div>
Yup, maybe try potatoes slathered in peanut butter...
rock.gif

<div>
(_Simon_ @ Aug. 14 2007,07:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">ahaha cool thanks heaps

but yeah, i'm looking for something that's nutrient DENSE as opposed to ummm nutrient isolated lol
eg something which has MORE grams of protein/carbs per 100g of the food itself. like, most rice has about 70grams of carbs per 100g of rice, whereas potatoes is well something like 20g of carbs per 100g. rice would be more NUTRIENT DENSE than rice

i'll keep the search up however haha thanks</div>
Well, like I said... sugar, or dextrose. 100 grams of sugar or dex has 100 grams of carbs in it. So... if you need more carbs, you can just add some sugar in to whatever.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but yeah, i'm looking for something that's nutrient DENSE as opposed to ummm nutrient isolated lol
eg something which has MORE grams of protein/carbs per 100g of the food itself. like, most rice has about 70grams of carbs per 100g of rice, whereas potatoes is well something like 20g of carbs per 100g. rice would be more NUTRIENT DENSE than rice</div>

Man, it sounds like you just want a list of low fat foods with low moisture content.

haha AH woops yeah a mistake i made there haha, yeah i meant rice is more nutrient (carb) dense than POTATOES.

OH and when i said protein/carbs i didn't mean together haha, yeah i should've been more clear on that, i was just not saying fat cos i know a good dense source of that is olive oil.
but i'm looking for a dense CARB source and seperately a good PROTEIN source as well.
and yeah actually a combined one WOULD actually be good ay hehe

hmm yeah i've thought about using sugar, but um, not quite sure if that's the healthiest alternative haha... then again, if i'm not using TOO much ay, it would be great to sprinkle a bit.
biggrin.gif

i guess the NEXT dense carb would be rice and pasta with 70g carbs per 100g rice/pasta.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fish and lean meats such as 95/5 ground beef or skinless chicken will be mostly protein. Vegetables and fruit are mostly carbohydrates. </div>

yeah well fish that i have alot (salmon) has about 22g of protein per 100g, and others are even lower i'm sure, chicken is better with 25g ay. veggies are very low-dense form of carbs, but yeah fruit is okay but filling haha!

thanks heaps everyone! ;)

<div>
(_Simon_ @ Aug. 15 2007,00:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">hmm yeah i've thought about using sugar, but um, not quite sure if that's the healthiest alternative haha... then again, if i'm not using TOO much ay, it would be great to sprinkle a bit.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Well all carbs end up as sugar once you digest them anyway.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">yeah well fish that i have alot (salmon) has about 22g of protein per 100g, and others are even lower i'm sure, chicken is better with 25g ay. veggies are very low-dense form of carbs, but yeah fruit is okay but filling haha!</div>

About fish ... you may think 22 out of 100 grams is not very &quot;dense,&quot; but what do the other 88 grams of fish consist of? A little fat? Yes. Carbs? No. Alcohol? No. Micronutrients? Several mg., but not that much.

So what makes up the rest of the nutritionally &quot;undense&quot; stuff? Water. Most of those 88 grams of non-protein is water. Is it that important to you to avoid water?

Similar reasoning goes for any lean meat. It's protein dense because of how much of it's calories come from protein (percentage-wise), not because of how many grams come from protein.

Back