Lol's New HST Log

Hi all you HST'ers! Hope everyone is fighting fit and training hard.

Well, it's been a rather longer time away from posting in my log here than I anticipated. It's been a good five months!!

For the past couple of weeks I've been getting over a nuisance left-groin injury and a right forearm strain. The left-groin issue (in region of gracilis or adductor brevis/longus origin) meant any form of squatting was painful. Prior to that, I'd had two weeks away from any training and before that, training was patchy. Not good. :-/

The groin strain was a little disconcerting as it's a sharp pain when it happens. It happened on three successive sessions: each time I thought I'd waited long enough for it to heal but evidently I hadn't. I only allowed a couple of days the first time before trying some light squatting. Worked up to 70 kg without any obvious pain but then at 85kg, zing, it went again, and rather than dump the bar I stood up with it which probably didn't help. The pain occurred about half-way between the bottom position and standing, just around or slightly above parallel.

Anyway, after a couple of days rest, I did a bunch of rehab movements over the following days including SLDLs and a good deal of stretching and rowing, and I am pleased to say that it seems to be sorted now. My hunch is that it was due to a change in my form for snatching. I'm gradually improving my bottom position but I'm also improving my first and second pull positions. I was experimenting with a more knees-out pull which translates to more force applied to the floor on the outside of my feet. It's seems to be a more powerful position but I think the forces on the muscles are distributed differently and a weak link got pulled. I think it happened when snatching with 70kg for triples, followed by front-squatting with only 100kg. Using the same form for squatting was the straw that broke this camel's ass!

I've been neglecting my rowing for warming up which was also dumb, especially at my age (49 any day now) so I'm going to make sure I always do that. I'm messing with my form on that too: regular rowing and then rowing knees-out, like a frog, which puts more emphasis on the adductors. I'd never row like that in anger but it's good for warming up.

The weather is improving here and I need to get back to some consistent training and into PR territory again. I'll post my session from last night a bit later.

Last edited:
Tue 15/04/14 - evening session

So I'm just getting back to training after a few set backs (see previous post). I didn't push anything hard and I was hoping not to get any left groin/adductor pain,

Warmup

C2 row: 500m in 2:00 @ 27 SPM - various leg positions to thoroughly warm up adductors following recent injury.
Muscle Snatches with nekkid bar.
Various shoulder raises holding 5kg plates.

Clean & Jerk
1 x 40kg - 3 jerks
1 x 50kg - 2 jerks
3 x 60kg
3 x 70kg
3 x 80kg
3 x 90kg
3 x 100kg (220lb) - 1,Jerk FF,Clean only; belted.
5 x 1 x 100kg (220lb)

Pleased with the triple clean with 100kg but it wasn't great that I just missed the second jerk. I didn't try for the third jerk. No adductor pain.

High-bar Back Squat
W-U: 10 x 60kg, 5 x 80kg, 3 x 90kg, 3 x 100kg, 3 x 110kg

3 x 120kg (264lb)
5 x 120kg (264lb) - third rep paused and it wasn't hard or painful so did two more reps.
3 x 125kg (275lb) - decided to risk a slightly heavier triple; all ok.

I'm going as deep as I can go for all my squats. Oly shoes and belted once I'm at 100kg or above. Good feedback from the belt on my torso position.

That was it! It was a good session and I am confident that I can make some progress again now.

Good to see you back! Looking forward to seeing how things go for you, hopefully the strain gets itself sorted and doesn't bother you too much.

Cheers, Totz. I think things are healing nicely now. Stretching has definitely helped.

After a good warm-up on Saturday, I worked up to a set of 5 x 130kg for back squats without any ill effects, so I'm hoping that's the end of that little issue. I'm looking forward to clawing some strength back. It's been too long.

We are all getting older... I am more focused now on health in my training and diet than ever before. The older I get the more it makes sense to train for health and not just for huge numbers.

@Sci, I promise you that everyone here, 'cept maybe O&G (but his T supplement sort of lumps him in with us) has nothing to worry about in that respect yet. Not saying you should throw 200kgs on the bench and be a superhero, just that training alone will preserve and extend your work capacity, no need to tailor it down at our ages.

I'm finding that improving my flexibility/mobility is something that I'm benefitting from in and out of the gym.

Improving my shoulder mobility over the past couple of years has definitely reduced the incidence of shoulder niggles, aches and pains that I was always getting. It has also helped with nerve impingement issues that I used to get a lot at night: I would wake up because my hands had gone numb. It very rarely happens now and, if it does, it is much less severe: perhaps a "buzzy" finger or two.

Stretching my quads regularly has helped with a bit of patellar tendinitis that I was getting from front squats.

I'm working on hip mobility and hamstrings flexibility at the moment. I can't do the splits yet but I'm getting closer. Don't know if I'll be able to make it that far, but I'll give it a shot. A pic will be forthcoming if I do.

Lol's New HST Log

Yeah, same here Lol. Stretching has helped me out as well. Hip flexibility has helped reduce my lower back from pulling out. I am still working on shoulder issues, but mobility work has played a major part there as well.

Lol's New HST Log

Fri 25/04/14

Evening Session - Snatch/Press/F-Sq

Warmup
C2 row: 500m in 1:57 @ 28 SPM
Various shoulder raises and rotations with 5kg plates.
Wooden pole dislocates
Nekkid bar work

Hang Snatch
First rep from the floor; subsequent reps from high-hang.

3 x 40kg
3 x 50kg
3 x 55kg
3 x 60kg (132lb)
3 x 65kg
3 x 70kg (154lb) - did this set after full snatches

Snatch
2 x 70kg (154lb)
2 x 72.5kg (159.5lb) - 2nd rep slight PO on left
0 x 75kg (165lb) - FB, FF
1 x 75kg (165lb)
1 x 77.5kg (170.5lb)
0 x 80kg (176lb) - FF
1 x 80kg (176lb) - PR
0 x 82.5kg (181.5lb) - FF

No straps for any of my snatch work tonight. I only find straps are useful for sets of 5 reps or more.

Push-Press
5 x 60kg (132lb)
5 x 60kg (132lb)
5 x 60kg (132lb)
5 x 60kg (132lb)
10 x 60kg (132lb)

I need to do more pressing as my shoulders need building up to help my jerk confidence.

Front Squat
W-U: 10 x 40kg, 10 x 60kg, 5 x 80kg

5 x 90kg (198lb) - last rep paused
5 x 100kg (220lb) - last rep paused
2 x 110kg (242lb) - slight pause both reps

Not much volume due to recent groin strain. Pleased it seems to have healed. No pain or discomfort for any reps.

Notes
Getting an 80kg PR in my snatch was a milestone that I've been hoping to reach for a while now. Very pleased I got there. Next stop: 85kg (187lb), just over bodyweight.

Last edited:
Cheers, NTB. Good to see you still logging here too.
I was quite surprised that the groin strain didn't rear it's ugly head again last night, esp. when doing the snatches. I think the stretching I'm doing has helped a lot with the speedy recovery
I have a kitchen bar with an oak shelf about 4ft high that I am using to prop one foot on while standing on the other. It's a great way to stretch out my adductors and hamstrings. By rotating my hips I can attack both.
I'm adding books on top of the shelf as I improve in order to get a bigger stretch. I'm currently at a height of 50".

Lol's New HST Log

Sun 27/04/14

Warmup
500m C2 row: 1:53.9 @ 27 SPM
Shoulder rotation complex and raises with 5kg plates
Shoulder dislocates with wooden rod
Nekkid bar snatches

Snatch
5 x 30kg
5 x 40kg
5 x 50kg
3 x 55kg
3 x 60kg

A quick session for form practice. Working on speed getting under the bar. The last triple with 60kg was probably my best ever snatching. It certainly felt like it. I just hope I can maintain this form with heavier loads.

HBBS
W/U 10 x 60kg, 5 x 80kg, 5 x 90kg, 5 x 100kg

5 x 110kg - belted; last rep paused
5 x 120kg - belted; last 2 reps paused
2 x 120kg - belted; paused reps
3 x 125kg - belted
3 x 130kg - belted
3 x 130kg - belted

No groin pain which was excellent news. :)

Dips
30 x BW
20 x BW

A couple of burn sets to keep my pecs and delts working. Strict form.

Mon 28/04/14

After a day of train travel, I managed to squeeze in a quick front squat session at a friend's place.

Front Squat
W/U: air squats, 10 x 40kg, 10 x 60kg, 5 x 70kg

5 x 80kg - last rep paused
5 x 87.5kg - last rep paused
5 x 110kg (242lb) - belted; last rep paused

Legs were slightly sore going into this from last night's squats. Pleased with the last set. Relatively straightforward reps with 110kg, and, more to the point, no groin pain.

That was it! Time to eat.

29/04/14–04/05/14
I've been digging, concreting and laying a patio all week and my lower-back has been complaining for most of the time. :)
I've been doing all the concrete and mortar mixing by hand so it's been like one long workout. 10-12 hours most days. I really haven't felt like hitting the gym at midnight.
I did manage to do a few short coaching sessions and demonstrate good form for some key lifts to my friend's eldest lad. As part of that I did a set of 30 reps with 60kg for bench. I didn't get any soreness the next day, which was a little surprising seeing that I haven't benched in forever.
I have two more weeks away from base again soon. I will be hoping to train at my brothers then. He has a not-so-great bar but plenty of weight. I shall be able to do squats and deads and regular exercises, but not much in the way of OWL. Bit of a pain but not the end of the world.

How do you find belts on squats, and what's the reason for using it? Does it lean more towards injury prevention (by way of form and stability etc.) or is there a significant load advantage by way of mechanics and spinal, cavity assistance as well?

I don't feel a belt makes a massive difference to what I can lift (it does help though) but I definitely do benefit from the positional feedback and stability I get from it.
With a belt, I can instantly tell when my lower-back begins to lose extension on any rep and so I can immediately respond. A delay in tightening up will reduce efficiency which will then increase fatigue in my lower-back for any subsequent reps.
I think there's a psychological element too: I'm used to wearing a belt for my heavier sets and so not wearing one can sometimes make a load feel heavier than it otherwise would. I'd rather that didn't happen.

A belt makes a difference, it adds stability to the waist, by giving the abdominal muscles something to squeeze against, creating intra-abdominal pressure. It isn't a huge difference, but significant, maybe 5% increase in lifting capacity for deads and squats, when used properly.

By giving your abdominal muscles something to squeeze against you increase the stability of your lower back, thus reducing the possibility of injury. A belt won't prevent injury by itself, it needs to fit you properly (meaning tighter than you think), you need to use it properly, and maintain good form. Also, you need to ensure it's a proper powerlifting belt, not something you would likely find at a local sporting goods store.

Example of a great belt (this is the belt I use, I love it):

econo-belt-web2.jpg

I have a chunky 4" powerlifting belt, like the one in NTB's pic, only with a funky lever fastener, and a traditional buckled weightlifting belt (4" wide section at back, 2" wide everywhere else).
For FS and HBBS, I use the weightlifting belt because the powerlifting belt limits my ROM. If I drop down into a deep squat it's just too bulky and hits my hips. It's great for deads but I haven't deadlifted in ages so it's been gathering dust. Maybe I'll use it again one day if my goals change.

Last edited:
Back