Lol's New HST Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Lol, May 16, 2007.

1. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

Sun 16/11/14 - Short PM Session

Clean-grip, High-pull (kg)
    70/5
    90/5
    100/5
    110/5,5,5
    Straps from 90kg

Notes
    110 felt much heavier than expected so I focussed on good form and height. Hip felt fine after yesterday's squats so that's a good sign.

2. Lol

Mon 17/11/14 - Short eve session ~ 30 mins

Snatch with pause at knee (kg)
    20/3
    30/3
    40/3
    50/3
    55/3
    57.5/3
    60/3,3
    Straps for last few sets, not that there was any real need.

Front Squat (kg)
    60/15
    80/15
    Sleeves.

Notes
    Good pump from the second set of squats. All continuous reps.
    No pain or discomfort in left hip but I am still reluctant to do any back squats just yet.

3. Lol

Thu 20/11/14

Been fighting a bug for the past couple of days. General lack of energy and glands up in neck. Improved a bit by this eve so did a short session.

Warm-up then...

Snatch
    40/2
    50/2
    60/1
    65/1
    70/1
    75/1
    80/1
    82.5/0 FF - only just missed
    90/0 FF

Front Squat
    40/5
    60/5
    80/5
    90/2
    100/2,5
    Sleeves

Notes
    Pleased I made it up to 80kg. Haven't lifted that in a while. Left hip didn't complain at all. Just missed 82.5kg but not quite so close with 90kg, which I thought I'd try for fun.

Left hip complained a bit during first set of front squats with 100kg. Decided to rack it after a double. Second set felt better but I evidently still need to be a bit careful. Called it quits.

Feeling tired after only that! Might have another crack at it tomorrow.

4. Lol

Mon 1/12/14
    Progress Report
    Front squats back up to 100kg for sets of 5 (no belt). Made 110 for a triple last eve and 120 for a single towards the end of the workout. I'm continuing to work on my form: attempting to maintain solid knees out position when coming out of hole. Not easy for me at all, especially as the load gets over 90% 1RM. Right patellar tendon is thanking me.
    Worked up to a comfortable 80kg snatch again on Sat, so I should be entering PR territory soon.
    Still not back squatting yet. Probably being a bit cautious but I'm going to wait until my left hip feels 100%.
    I have invested in a few different rubber physio bands to help me with general mobility and rehab. They are great. Got them from Strength Shop as they were on offer.

5. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

There's two PNF hip stretches I do which I think really help. One involves doing your typical piriformis stretch but on a wall, using the contract-relax modality to push into new ranges of motion. Here's a picture of how you'd set up on the wall.

Come to your current end range and contract your glutes hard while pushing at the knee with your hand. Count to 10, then in one motion, stop contracting your glutes and use your hand on the knee of your crossed leg to push into a new range of motion. Stay there for 10 seconds. Repeat for at least 2 minutes.

The other is where you lay down, scoot your butt up to the wall and put your legs onto it as if you're squatting (and squatting real wide) on the door. Then you PNF by pushing on the insides of your thighs with your arms/elbows while squeezing your glutes/hip flexors/etc for 10 seconds, and then in one motion, release tension and use your arms to push your thighs outward into the new range of motion. Stay there for 10 seconds. Repeat for at least 2 minutes.

I tend to do them at night before bed when I'm going to lift the next day. I think they make a huge difference. When I don't do them, I get hip flexor pain and I can't sit back as much into my squat.

Hope this helps...oh, and you can use bands for these too if you can jerry-rig a good way to do it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  6. Lol

Cheers, TG. Much appreciated. I haven't done the first one up against a wall like that so I'm going to give it a go. I've had a go at it when sitting in a chair but I like the look of the wall version.
    The second one is one I've had a go at more and it is definitely improving my ROM.
    Thanks again.

7. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

No problem, bud.

8. Lol

7/02/15

Hope you folks are all ok and your year is off to a good start.

My left hip is still mending. I haven't back squatted any real weight in half a year but I'm gradually increasing my front squats. I'm back up to comfortable singles with 115kg (252lbs) now and trying to get in three squat sessions a week — not always possible. I'm keeping my volume at around 20 reps for my work sets but I'm doing plenty of warmup reps beforehand. I'm also adding in two or three heavy singles at the end of a session to give my CNS something to think about.

I'm still doing a bit of snatch and C&J work, but not as much or as often as I would like. I'm 50 this year and my goal is to break into new PB territory in the O-lifts. I'm looking for a 90kg snatch and 120kg C&J.

My body fat %age is a bit higher than I'd like so I may do something about that as well. Don't want to sacrifice energy for improvements in the lifts though.

Because of my hip issue, I shelved plans to compete this spring and will see how I get on in the next few months before deciding if it's on the cards for next spring.

All the best to all you HST'ers still hanging around here.

9. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

Welcome back, man. What stretching/mobility work are you doing on that hip?

10. Lol

Hey TD, the PNF stretches against the wall that you mentioned plus sitting in a deep squat and using elbows against knees to PNF stretch in a similar way. I'm also doing various couch stretches (a la K Starrett) for quads, general hamstring stretches and some ankle mobility work (as I have a tight right ankle). Along with time, it's all helping to keep things progressing in the right direction. Once I start back squatting again, I'm going to really focus on form and consistency. I'm in no rush to pile on the load.

I've been more consistent with shoulder mobility work too. My shoulders are feeling pretty good for a change. I've been using a 41" x 1.5" rubber resistance band for dislocates instead of a rod and it's been great because I can put it in my suitcase when I'm away from base (which is just about every week now) so it's always handy. I can be sitting in a chair and reading some work-related blurb while my shoulders are getting a good stretching session. The rubber allows a bit of give through the sticking point but not that much. Hands can be rotated differently during the movement and gradually worked closer together as the old shoulders warm up. I find 15 rep sets with a couple of minutes in between sets works really well. The first set is always a little uncomfortable (even with thumbs looped into band for widest possible hand spacing) but by the second set things have warmed up and the discomfort vanishes. Then I work my hands in along the band until they end up about 26" apart. I hold the band with a double thickness in each hand rather than just a single thickness so that it doesn't flex too much.

11. Lol

This chap provides a good hip/knee/ankle stretching/mobility 101 in his YouTube vid:

Browner likes this.
  12. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

I completely forgot I suggested those to you.

Starrett might talk like he's on speed (and is a Crossfitter...), but his mobility stuff is top-notch. He's got a book out called "Supple Leopard" that has all of his mobility shit in it if you didn't know.

I need to do some shoulder mobility stuff myself....and mobility stuff in general. Been neglecting...

13. Lol

Fri 13/02/15

Morning shed workout

Warmup
    500m C2 row: 1:54 gentle pace @ 24 spm
    Deadlift: 10 x 75kg
    Snatch-grip High-pull: 5 x 75kg; bar paused below knee each rep and no contact of weights with ground.

Cleans
    Triples from 40kg. Worked up to a triple with 100kg with belt and sleeves for final set. Last rep with 100kg was a bit forward so reset and did an extra single. Feels quite easy standing up with 100kg now.

Front Squats (Kg)
    90/5
    95/3
    100/3
    110/3,3
    115/3,3
    120/3,2 - close to RPE 10 for first set.
    110/3 - right after double @ 120

Feels good to be clawing my way back up again. I'm happy to stick with front squats this year but will probably give back squats a go once in a while.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  14. Lol

Sun 15/02/15

Home-gym session

Warm-up stretches plus snatches & OHS with bar then...

Snatch (kg) - pause just below knee
    40/5
    50/5
    55/5
    60/5
    65/5
    67.5/3
    70/3
    75/2

Front Squat (kg)
    60/5
    80/5
    90/3
    100/3
    110/3 - belted from here on
    120/2
    125/1 @ RPE 9.5
    120/2
    110/3
    Sleeves throughout. It's still quite cold in my little gym room so wearing sleeves is as much for knee warmth as support.

Notes
    It may be that the bar I use for my shed workouts is under 20kg by more than I thought. I always add an extra 2.5kg to the bar to compensate as I thought it was 17.5kg. I will have to weigh it properly. 120kg seemed a little harder than expected today but it was good to get a solid single with 125kg. Maybe I'll get 130 next week if I eat and sleep well.

15. Lol

Mon 16/02/15
    Home-gym session

Snatch-Grip High-Pull
    40/5
    60/5
    80/5 - losing height by final rep
    90/3,3,3,3,3
    (plus 3 hp from high-hang after final triple)
    100/1
    Straps

Sn-grip DL
    100/5
    Straps

Pendlay Row
    90/5
    100/5,5,5
    Straps; last set no straps

Notes
    Short workout but enough for my weak back right now.
    Final high-pull with 100 was a height test. I think it was definitely "snatchable" height if I only had better technique. A work in progress.
    Performed snatch-grip deads stopping short of full hip extension at the top to maintain tension on posterior chain. Bit of an experiment. Definitely feel extra strain on traps.
    Compared straps with no straps for rows: not really any obvious advantage to straps at this load. Also, I'm holding a single breath for all 5 reps each set. Do you folks do similarly or breathe between reps? I've done both but I prefer a single breath if I can manage it.

@TD: my brother has K-Star's "Supple Leopard" so I get a chance to flip through it and pick out the bits I like.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  16. Lol

Wed 18/02/15

Shed Session - Late evening

Warm-Up
    500m C2 Row: 1:51 @23 spm
    Band stretches; nekkid bar snatches and presses.
    Muscle snatches: 40kg/10

Snatch Complex (kg)
    (High-pull + snatch + hang-snatch)
    50/1
    55/1
    60/1
    65/1
    70/1,1,1
    70/1 - snatch + hang-snatch only

Paused Front Squat (kg)
    70/5
    80/5
    90/5
    100/5 - belt & sleeves
    Paused for a count of 3 each rep.

Front Squat (kg)
    110/1
    120/1
    122.5/1
    Belt & sleeves. Felt like doing a few heavier singles.

Notes
    Short workout tonight. Better than nothing. Not much volume so I should recover well enough for a Friday morning session. Heaviest front squat in the shed so far.
    Bashed my hand between two metal plates when I was unloading the bar and gave myself an almost instantaneous golf-ball-sized knuckle. These are problems I never have with bumpers. More care required next time.

17. Lol

Fri 20/2/15

Shed Workout - Early morning session

Warmup
    Band stretches; air-squats

Muscle Snatch (kg)
    40/10
    50/10
    Continuous reps. Part of warmup

Press (kg)
    40/10
    50/5
    60/5
    First presses in a while so careful start.

Hang Cleans (kg) - above knee
    60/5
    70/5
    80/5
    90/5

Front Squat (kg)
    60/10
    70/5
    80/5
    90/5
    100/5
    110/3
    115/3
    120/3 @RPE 8.5
    Sleeves throughout; belted for last three sets.

Notes
    Ended up doing a shorter workout than intended but still hit an ok final set for my front squats. My left hip is feeling good so far. Building up slowly and focussing on form seems to be working.

18. Lol

Sat 21/2/15

Home-gym Session

General Warmup
    Air squats, stretches
    Nekkid bar cleans

Cleans (kg)
    Warmups
    40/5, 50/5, 60/3, 70/1, 80/1
    Then On-The-Minute reps:
    90/1
    95/1,1,1,1,1, 1,1,1,1,1, 1,1,1 (13)
    100/1,1,1,1,1, 1,1 (7)
    105/1
    107.5/1
    110/1
    Sleeves throughout.

Notes
    I was pushed for time tonight so this w/o was performed against the clock in ~30 mins.
    I had planned on doing 15 OTM cleans @ 95. After 13, I thought I'd do a couple @ 100 to finish off but then decided to do an extra 5 plus another three heavier ones for fun. 110 wasn't easy but I was tired so I'm hoping this is a good sign as I head towards PR territory: 120 is my next milestone to reach. Need to get my front squats up to 130 for doubles in order to achieve that.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  19. Lol

Mon 23/2/15

Home-gym Session

Warmup
    Band stretches; air-squats

Front Squat (kg)
    50/10, 60/10
    80/5
    90/5
    100/5
    110/2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2 (16 reps)
    130/1 @RPE 10
    Sleeves throughout; belted for last three sets.

500m C2 Row: 1:41 @27 spm; ~41 cals

Notes
    Only a short session tonight as I was held up with other stuff.
    For the doubles, concentric performed as-fast-as-possible but with controlled eccentrics and brief pause in hole on second rep.
    Single with 130 is my heaviest front squat in a while. Unracking 130 felt fine but leg fatigue made it tough to stand up with. Still, I'm happy as my hip was fine. I'm thinking that once I get up to 140 I may try some back squats again.

20. Lol

I forgot to log that I did a set of deads, 20 x 100kg (220lb), as a quick warmup yesterday before going out. 100kg happened to be on the bar so I just went at it. No need to warmup with that load. All reps stopped on the floor (ie. no touch-and-go). Got to 20 and decided that would do. Glutes were beginning to burn. As I walked up the road moments later, I enjoyed the powerful after-effect as my body tried desperately to suck in more air than a dragster at full throttle! I'd forgotten what hi-rep deads were like. :)