Lose body fat first or just bulk up

bandekk

I'm 6ft, approx 200lbs, and have 30% (according to BF scales) body fat. I done HST off and on for the last few months, but having been off it for a while now and not eating properly, I've gained some body fat.

My question is, is it better to diet first and lose the body fat, down to approx 15-20%, or is it better to to bulk up first, then effectively cut down the body fat.

Or, is there some sort of combination or dieting and listing you can do. I estimate 2500cals is maintenance level at the moment.

thanks.

Diet down to 10% and then bulk up. Unless your long term goal is 17-18% bodyfat (which I doubt) in which case you can only diet down to around 15%.

This is the long term plan, which may take you 1-2 years. You will inevitably have some well-contolled bulking periods during this time, but they will only serve as small breaks from diet (1-2 weeks of slight bulking every 2 months of dieting).

If you bulk from your current bf level, you will need one more life to get lean.

In that case, the only real success I've had with dieting, is doing the atkins diet, this really seems to burn the bodyfat off and according to some studies, minimizes muscle loss. The only problem with this is sticking to atkins, as its as boring as F**k.
I could go down the normal calorie restrictive route, which is easier to maintain, but slower in weight loss, and possibly resulting is some muscle loss aswell.
So, what sort of successful type of diet have people used in the past, I'm leaning towards atkins because of the speed.
thanks

Any diet will do the trick, as long as:

- You train with weights
- Get adequate protein (2gr per lean kg)
- Don't throw your calories ridiculously low for an extended amount of time

Atkins is no faster than isocaloric or low fat diets. It's calories-in vs calories-out that counts.

There is potential for a low carb diet to be better for some people, although this hasnt shown up much in the research.
Basically being overly fat, extremely insulin resistant/type2 diabetic.
But once you add in exercise it will make things a lot different, as it decreases insulin sensitivity

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]bandekk,
is there some sort of combination or dieting and listing you can do
The only problem with this is sticking to atkins, as its as boring as F**k.

Hi bandekk,

I like this "diet" 40% P, 30% C, 30% F

It's easy to follow and easy to stay on
crazy.gif

IF 2500cals are your maintenance start at 2200-2300 cals

Protein: eat 200 -225 gms
Carbs: eat 150 gms
(Example: 1 cup oatmeal morning, apple pre WO, the rest post shake and after meal)
Fat: 70 -80 gms

Shoot to loose 1 - 2 lbs per week.

Like micmic said this will take some time (60-90 weeks)

Try to lift with less rest between sets and don't forget some tye of cardio every other day.

Good luck.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ July 13 2003,10:50)]But once you add in exercise it will make things a lot different, as it decreases insulin sensitivity
I thought exercise increased insulin sensitivity? Or at least made the muscle more insulin sensitive?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ July 14 2003,4:49)]a complete typo, its hard typing with a kid on each knee
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
Good for the calves tho! Keep bouncing them (kids) there until they're 21 and marvel at your ginormous soleus (soleus's/soleusi/ da*m it, whatever the plural is! )
thumbs-up.gif

Back