Low carb and beta cell atrophy

kyleman1

I started going out with a girl in December, and I instantly began to diet so I could have lower body fat. I've been using a low carbohydrate diet. I eat alot of protein, and to accelerate the fat loss, I ate only moderate amount of plant fats.

I'm lean now. The outside is pleasing. The inside is hell. I had blood drawn and I passed out (1st time this ever happened). I'm unable to lift weights or exercise I'm so low on energy. Evertime i stand up from sitting, my blood pressure bottoms out. I was unable to pass a swimming test to be a lifeguard I was so low on energy. Today, I passed out at the mall after I ate an apple. Heart fluttering, hypoglycemia, low blood pressure, lethargy, you name it, I have it.

At this point, I'm scared to death. I am wondering if my beta cells of my pancreas have begun to atrophy. Since they produce insulin, and my eating habits for the last 2 months have been nearly insulin free, I'm wondering if these cells are just wasting away since they literally don't have to do anything. You know, use it or lose it. I know my carbohydrate metabolism (and my beta cells) will get with the pace once i reintroduce carbohydrates into my diet. But I'm wondering If i've done any substantial damage to myself?

Thanks for your help, whoever replies. I'm scared to death right now. I'm never messing wtih low carb again
-Kyle

First of all, a qualified (in person) doctor should be your first stop I think.

I would think that introducing more complex carbs - wholegrain bread etc - into your diet would be better than the high glycemic carbs, because you won't get the hypoglycemic response (to the same degree).

Slowly move from one postural position to another.

Go to a doctor

potentially get a oral glucose tolerance test

Introduce more carbs into your diet, but do so slowly.

Back