Macronutrient Absorption

Buzz

I'm curious. Reading about pre-workout and post workout eating for both lifting and cardio I have a couple questions:
1. On an empty stomach, pre-workout with weights how quickly are protien and carbs available to the body after having a protein/carb shake?
2. How about post workout?
3. After cardio, waiting to eat is important to allow for greater fat mobilization...I think. If I eat carbs in an hours time how quickly will they be absorbed/digested?
Your comments are appreciated.
Buzz

This is very dependent on the types of protein and carbs you consume, GI index, calories and fats as well. A fast acting protein and carb is good such as whey and maltodextrin or something like raisins. Slower proteins are casein. Both are actually available to tissues rather quickly. Does all this macro manipulation make a difference? Who knows. I feel the differences are negligible at best.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Buzz @ May 22 2003,8:47)]I'm curious. Reading about pre-workout and post workout eating for both lifting and cardio I have a couple questions:
1. On an empty stomach, pre-workout with weights how quickly are protien and carbs available to the body after having a protein/carb shake?
If the protein is whey, it will take upto around 30minutes to reach maximum levels in the blood, if its pure aminos or predigested protein, it will take 15-25mins.
Glucose will start to rise straight away and peak about 30mins after ingestion.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. How about post workout?
very similar, if its casein based post workout, a fair bit slower.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. After cardio, waiting to eat is important to allow for greater fat mobilization...I think. If I eat carbs in an hours time how quickly will they be absorbed/digested?
Your comments are appreciated.
Buzz
Depends on what you worry about. Taking in a 'fast' protein meal before or after cardio will potentially reduce fat burning, as hte muscle will be burning off that protien instead.
Carbs taken straight after aerobics will blunt fat loss, but its not a major worry, as its the total fat balance per day that will make the difference, rather than the small difference made straight after training.

:D
Thanks alot guys that's just what I wanted to know.

Buzz
worship.gif

Back