micellar casein vs calcium caseinate

johnblake99

Hi,
What is the difference between these two proteins and which is the better choice? Do they both get absorbed the same?

johnblake99

Interesting question. Is there a major difference in taste, for those that have tried both?

The molecular structure of miscellar casein forms a "flower" shape. To get this requires some filtering, which adds to the cost.

From what I have read/heard, its effectiveness of miscellar casein is not much different from that of calcium caseinate, which in turn is equivalent to milk protein isolate. The cost:
miscellar casin > calcium caseinate > milk protein isolate > soy protein isolate.

Lately, I have read that soy protein isolate (fortified with methionine) is as good or better than casein, with additional benefits in terms of fatloss and cancer fighting effects. If you do a pubmed search, there are study abstracts that indicate this; very interesting indeed. Note that soy protein is also slow digesting.

I havent tried micellar casein by itself, only in driver which has other proteins in it (calcium caseinate as a matter of fact) I have calcium caseinate by itself, ordered it off protein factory. The only thing i notice when comparing driver and plain caseinate is driver is super thick (which i like) whereas caseinate is runny, almost like my whey is. Maybe thats just my opinion of it... i wish i could make my caseinate thicker (any ideas?)
Soy by the way is crap (for guys) its estrogenic so ive read, check out t-mag, they have a couple articles on the "dangers of soy"
I finally start HST cycle tomorrow...
Keith

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thedrivethruguy @ July 14 2003,4:58)]Soy by the way is crap (for guys) its estrogenic so ive read, check out t-mag, they have a couple articles on the "dangers of soy"
Keith
Just because Tmag have a cross to bear against soy doesnt mean that everyone in the world shares their opinion.
As a part of a complete diet, there is absolutely nothing wrong with soy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thedrivethruguy @ July 13 2003,10:58)]Soy by the way is crap (for guys) its estrogenic so ive read, check out t-mag, they have a couple articles on the "dangers of soy"
Keith
Just to continue on what Aaron said ...

The error is in thinking that phytoestrogen contained in soy protein increases estrogen in human body. The phytoestrogen is NOT the same thing as estrogen. The phytoestrogen, if anything, DECREASES estrogen in men. It also does NOT decrease testosterone.

Well, this is according to a number of pubmed studies. One or two claim otherwise.

referring back to the original question, ive found calcium caseinate and milk protein concentrate for sale at same price (www.myprotein.co.uk). info on both looks very similar on the website.  i'm looking for a slow release protein powder to use post workout and just before bed.  any suggestions as to which would be best? im currently doing standard hst prog and cutting just below maintenance cals.  any views much appreciated

[b said:
Quote[/b] (teethy @ Mar. 11 2005,4:46)]referring back to the original question, ive found calcium caseinate and milk protein concentrate for sale at same price (www.myprotein.co.uk). info on both looks very similar on the website.  i'm looking for a slow release protein powder to use post workout and just before bed.  any suggestions as to which would be best? im currently doing standard hst prog and cutting just below maintenance cals.  any views much appreciated
MPI usually mixes a wee bit better (but not a whole lot better) blending helps...

other than that, you wont notice a difference

Back