Muscle Glycogen and Growth

@nk1

I'd be more concerned about having enough building blocks for growth than enough energy to lift the bar. We grow in between bouts but only lift the bar for a short time. Fat contains building blocks. Proteins too. Carbs don't. Carbs inhibit the absorbtion of building blocks regardless of how much they contain themselves.

About IGF-1. It can do nothing without insulin. As cells become resistant to insulin, it's only natural that IGF-1 will have a harder time doing its job. We grow resistant over time. But the rate and amplitude depends on how much insulin we have in the blood. That, in turn, depends on how much carbs we eat.

We draw conclusions based on a carbohydrate metabolism. So when we flex muscles and we see insulin resistance drop, we think lifting weights is all we need to do for insulin and IGF-1 to do their job. The problem is we start we a high resistance because of the carbs. Once we take carbs out, insulin levels drop and as a result, resistance drops. Then, when we lift the bar again, resistance drops but from a much lower baseline than in a carbohydrate metabolism. So the ending resistance level is much lower and allows insulin and IGF-1 to do their job much more easily.

You say IGF-1 is the most potent anabolic agent (I'd say it's testosterone but that's not the point I'm trying to make here). I say IGF-1's potency is only made obvious by the diminished potency of all other anabolic agents because of the presence of carbs and the surplus levels of insulin in the blood and the high insulin resistance of lean tissue. It has become the most potent because all the other agents have been neutered. This is partly what I mean when I say carbs change the metabolic profile dramatically. Everything you see now is based on an abnormal metabolism. Therefore, any conclusion you draw is incorrect.

On another note. I read here that there are two kinds of IGF-1. The one produced in the cells as we flex muscles and the one produced elsewhere (I think it was the liver but I'm not sure). The point is that only the one produced in the cell as we flex muscles can be used effectively for growth. The one produced outside has little to no effect on growth for some reason. This tells me IGF-1 isn't as potent as we think. It also tells me that our perspective is narrow if all we look at is IGF-1 for growth. We conclude that only when flexing muscles can we stimulate growth and so don't consider other forms of stimuli. Such as diet. And so we dismiss diet as a potential growth stimulus.

In practice, that's precisely what happens. We see it so often. "Why don't I grow?" To which we reply "Eat more" It's all we can reply with because it's all we know about it. We've never delved deeper than "Eat more, grow bigger" That's the extent of our knowledge on the subject. Had we seriously considered diet as a strong anabolic agent, we'd also, by extension, considered it a potential catabolic agent if something were absent from our diet (which we somehow figured: Protein) or present (which we have yet to even consider: Carbs).

If your focus is only on IGF-1 because all other agents have been neutered yet you consider this environment normal, then you can't see that carbs is a catabolic agent because as you see it, it makes IGF-1 more potent. So your logic is that carbs is an anabolic agent. It can't be farther from the truth.

IGF-1 stimulates the growth and survival of cells primarily through the activation of the PI3K/PDK1/Akt(PKB)/mTOR and the (SOS)/RasGTPase/Raf-1/Mek/Erk signaling pathways. The study Nutritional Regulation of the Insulin-Like Growth Factors by Thissen et al states <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Because of the close relationships between protein intake and serum insulin concentrations, it has been difficult to determine whether the reduced IGF-I in low-insulin states is related to low insulin itself or to decreased availability of amino acids. A study suggest that dietary protein restriction decreases serum IGF-I independent of insulin and that protein restriction by itself is the major cause of reduced serum IGF-I. Across a broad range of amino acids concentrations (from 0.25 to 6.25, the normal arterial concentrations of amino acids in rat), insulin raised both IGF-I mRNA levels and stimulated release of IGF-I in proportion to the amino acid concentration. When the amino acid concentration was held constant, insulin produced a significant rise in IGF-I release. ... Low serum IGF-I values in fasted humans are not due to decreased GH secretion because fasted humans have increased GH pulse frequency, increased 24 h integrated GH concentrations, and augmented pulse amplitude. This disparity between GH and IGF-I suggests that fasted individuals have GH resistance, a presumption that is supported by the observation that GH given exogenously to GH-deficient fasted subjects causes only a 2-fold increment in serum IGF-I concentrations, while it produces a 10-fold increment in GH-deficient subjects fed normally.</div> There is a link to protein and nutritional levels, but not neccessarily to carbohydrate. I'm not saying that IGF-I is the only growth signaling factor, only that it is related to protein and insulin.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So your logic is that carbs is an anabolic agent. </div>No, I say protein is. Carbs would, according to studies, faster refill the glycogen stores needed for muscle to perform intense work (intense work is needed in order to get growth stimulation from tension). Also carbs have been shown to diminish the catabolic impact of cortisol during and after training. Carbs aren't magic in any way.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">we dismiss diet as a potential growth stimulus.</div>This post on a study on overfeeding and gain in LBM disagrees.  Link

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the diminished potency of all other anabolic agents </div> What other anabolic agents are you thinking of that becomes diminished because of the carbs?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">carbs change the metabolic profile dramatically. Everything you see now is based on an abnormal metabolism. </div>Is there any info on this anywhere so I can dig deeper?

Oh, bugger! Now, I'm hungry again! Time to chew some protein...  
wow.gif

There is a link between carbs level and nutrient levels. Look up Dr. Weston Price and his book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. It's not the only work but it will suffice for now.

-edit- More recently, see this link:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada....dy.html
-edit-

Carbs do refill glycogen stores faster than anything else. But only because that's the only apparent beneficial thing carbs can do. See Dr. Price. As I said, I'd be more concerned with nutrients to build muscle than energy to lift the bar.

Carbs have been shown to increase cortisol levels through lowering blood glucose levels by way of a too much insulin which in turn calls for cortisol to be released to produce more glucose through gluconeogenesis to bring blood glucose levels back to normal. So whatever apparent beneficial effect carbs have on cortisol is overshadowed by its negative effect on cortisol to begin with.

Studies don't do much for actual belief by the masses. We dismiss diet as a potential anabolic agent except perhaps in the case of protein because it's so obvious. Everything else that diet can do, we don't know about. So that study only tells us what happens in the the lab, not on the street. As I said, all we know is &quot;eat more, grow bigger&quot;.

I'm thinking of testosterone. While the other link I provided ( http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=2008....ans.htm ) is not the research itself, it says how testosterone is affected either way by macronutrient proportions. For instance, high fat means more test than low fat. It also say taking out carbs and putting in protein means less test. I can't draw any conclusion just from the article because it's missing quite a lot of details about the diets that were studied. For all I know, it may have been a full vegan diet compared with low fat diet.

Look for yourself at what carbs do to us. See obesity epidemic. See diabetes epidemic. See insulin resistance or Metabolic Syndrome. All this is not normal. See Gerald Reaven.

I just thought that, for anyone following this thread, it would be a good idea to also read Lyle's comments from the HST FAQ under Diet &amp; Nutrition:

Lyle discussing the various dieting approaches

It's a pretty easy read as he's not quoting studies but he does make some points based on studies. (Bear in mind that you will find Lyle's most recent thoughts on the subject over at bodyrecomposition.com).

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 22 2008,04:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just thought that, for anyone following this thread, it would be a good idea to also read Lyle's comments from the HST FAQ under Diet &amp; Nutrition:

It's a pretty easy read as he's not quoting studies but he does make some points based on studies. (Bear in mind that you will find Lyle's most recent thoughts on the subject over at bodyrecomposition.com).</div>
That's a good example of the reasoning behind the Positive Caloric Balance hypothesis. &quot;Eat more, grow bigger&quot; It's a good example of &quot;eating as a behavior&quot; hypothesis which makes the whole thing a psychological problem. As if we could control our hunger for the rest of our lives if we are prone to putting on fat easily and must cut calories to stay lean.

If one believes we must eat more to grow bigger regardless of macronutrient proportions, then that's a good piece to refer to for the logic that supports the belief.

Seems to me no matter what the macros are, one would have to eat more.
And don't classify me in with any of your antagonists: I have a reasonably open mind as an older lifter looking into other possibilities. I'm not trying to diss you or your reading per se: my questions just haven't been answered and I would have assumed that since you've taken a solid stance before a panel of science-minded lifters that you would have had at the very least some testimonials available without me having to take valuable time to research this for myself.
You just don't understand me.
Nobody understands me.
snif.
sad.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 22 2008,11:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Seems to me no matter what the macros are, one would have to eat more.
And don't classify me in with any of your antagonists: I have a reasonably open mind as an older lifter looking into other possibilities. I'm not trying to diss you or your reading per se: my questions just haven't been answered and I would have assumed that since you've taken a solid stance before a panel of science-minded lifters that you would have had at the very least some testimonials available without me having to take valuable time to research this for myself.
You just don't understand me.
Nobody understands me.
snif.
sad.gif
</div>
I don't classify you like that. I'm sorry if that's how it came across. I'm still looking for answers too. I'm trying make sense of it all by looking at it in different ways. For instance, nutrient utilization in between bouts. We can also look at it as the growth period.

Compare a lifter to a non-lifter. Give them the same bulking diet of high carbs and high calories. If carbs make us fat and lifting made us muscular, then the non-lifter would grow fat while the lifter would grow muscular. The body composition would be different only because one lifts the bar while the other doesn't.

Tell the lifter to stop lifting. Now he's a non-lifter as well. But don't change the diet. What happens? He becomes fat just like the other non-lifter.

This rather simple comparison tells us that lifting is a powerful growth stimulus. It also tells us that eating is a powerful growth stimulus. But the most significant thing it tells us is that if we don't lift the bar, the nutrients we eat are not used properly: We grow fat. In other words, the diet is suboptimal. If it's suboptimal for the guy who doesn't lift, it's not optimal for the guy who lifts either.

How do we fix this? Find the diet that doesn't make the non-lifter fat AND that contains the right amount of nutrients. In other words, find a diet that nourishes the guy. Then, just apply this diet to the lifter.

At first, we might think we should cut calories right away so the non-lifter doesn't grow fat. The problem with this is we have to deal with hunger that comes with caloric restriction. If he's hungry, we might say he's not getting the right amount of nutrients in his diet. Therefore, we might say that a diet that doesn't leave him hungry contains the right amount of nutrients. Further, we might say that such a diet is not calorie restricted. So the right diet contains the right amount of nutrients and doesn't leave him hungry and doesn't make him grow fat. Take this diet and apply it to the lifter.

A diet that contains carbs, which affects our blood sugar then insulin level then insulin resistance, doesn't fit the requirements of right amount of nutrients, doesn't leave him hungry and doesn't make him fat.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Mar. 22 2008,05:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ Mar. 22 2008,04:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just thought that, for anyone following this thread, it would be a good idea to also read Lyle's comments from the HST FAQ under Diet &amp; Nutrition:

It's a pretty easy read as he's not quoting studies but he does make some points based on studies. (Bear in mind that you will find Lyle's most recent thoughts on the subject over at bodyrecomposition.com).</div>
That's a good example of the reasoning behind the Positive Caloric Balance hypothesis. &quot;Eat more, grow bigger&quot; It's a good example of &quot;eating as a behavior&quot; hypothesis which makes the whole thing a psychological problem. As if we could control our hunger for the rest of our lives if we are prone to putting on fat easily and must cut calories to stay lean.

If one believes we must eat more to grow bigger regardless of macronutrient proportions, then that's a good piece to refer to for the logic that supports the belief.</div>
Except its not a belief, its a proven law.

What part of this is difficult for you to understand the simple truth of?:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here's the thing: all hypocaloric diets cause fat loss. And, for the most part, once you meet some basic requirements (mainly protein and essential fatty acids, without generating too massive of a deficit), the differences in fat loss are pretty minor and even more highly variable.</div>

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 22 2008,12:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Except its not a belief, its a proven law.</div>
That's a strong statement that demands equally strong evidence.

When you say proven, you imply the existence of proof. Where is that proof?

By definition a hypocaloric diet lacks the energy necessary to maintain existing body mass.  Its that simple.  Adipose, or fatty tissue is the body's means of storing metabolic energy over extended periods of time and is burned for energy during hypocaloric conditions.

If you can't understand these basic facts, then I can't help you.

SciMu, you won't find proof because there is none.

Gary Taubes explains it better than I can but I'll try anyway.

The conventional hypothesis is that we grow fat because we overeat. To prove this theory, we must make several assumptions. First, adipose tissue must be passive. Next, intake and output must be independent. Last, quality of food must be irrelevant.

The first problem is obvious. As Aaron pointed out, adipose tissue is active. This means it has a word to say about what goes in and out. It doesn't just get stuffed or looted.

Next, intake and output affect each other. We see it when we work harder or lighter and when we eat less or more. When we work harder, we work up an appetite. When we eat less, we become less active. I think it's the thyroid that controls BMR but the point is BMR is adjusted according to both intake and output. Lyle says so too.

Last, quality of food is entirely relevant as we can see with protein. Protein contains building blocks. If we lack any building block, our cells know it and send a signal to eat more. If we have ample building blocks, our cells see it too and send the opposite signal to stop eating. Aaron explained that too.

So what are we left with? Nothing. Since the assumptions don't hold up against scrutiny, the hypothesis disappears. So how then does it all work?

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 22 2008,14:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">By definition a hypocaloric diet lacks the energy necessary to maintain existing body mass. Its that simple. Adipose, or fatty tissue is the body's means of storing metabolic energy over extended periods of time and is burned for energy during hypocaloric conditions.

If you can't understand these basic facts, then I can't help you.</div>
Adipose tissue's job is not to store fuel for extended periods of time. That happens because of an adnormal condition. This condition is caused by carbs. Take out the carbs and the condition disappears. Adipose tissue then goes back to its normal function which is temporary (very temporary, hours or a day) storage of nutrients.

I admit, the above is only a hypothesis. But unlike the &quot;eat more, grow bigger&quot; hypothesis, we can find abundant proof of it in the scientific literature dating back maybe 150 years. So it should be easy to find.

&quot;A hypocaloric diet lacks the energy necessary to maintain existing body mass.&quot;

That is correct. The thyroid will then slow down BMR to balance intake and output. It will do this to prevent loss of existing nutrients. So how then can we lose weight if BMR drops to compensate intake reduction?

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Mar. 22 2008,15:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I admit, the above is only a hypothesis. But unlike the &quot;eat more, grow bigger&quot; hypothesis, we can find abundant proof of it in the scientific literature dating back maybe 150 years. So it should be easy to find.</div>
It should be easy for you to prove then.

You do realize that fat in the past was not used as a temporary storage (i.e. hours or a day,) right? Do you think our ancestors would have survived periods when food was scarce if fat functioned in the way you suggest?

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 22 2008,15:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ Mar. 22 2008,15:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I admit, the above is only a hypothesis. But unlike the &quot;eat more, grow bigger&quot; hypothesis, we can find abundant proof of it in the scientific literature dating back maybe 150 years. So it should be easy to find.</div>

You do realize that fat in the past was not used as a temporary storage (i.e. hours or a day,) right? Do you think our ancestors would have survived periods when food was scarce if fat functioned in the way you suggest?</div>
Do you think our ancestors would have survived predators if our ancestors were fat and slow if fat functioned the way you suggest?

See Gary Taubes book Good Calories Bad Calories.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Mar. 22 2008,19:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 22 2008,15:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

You do realize that fat in the past was not used as a temporary storage (i.e. hours or a day,) right? Do you think our ancestors would have survived periods when food was scarce if fat functioned in the way you suggest?</div>
Do you think our ancestors would have survived predators if our ancestors were fat and slow if fat functioned the way you suggest?

See Gary Taubes book Good Calories Bad Calories.</div>
What predators?

<div>
(nkl @ Mar. 21 2008,17:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is there any other evidence, anectdotal or otherwise, that we can do intense training without refilling glycogen in the muscle by eating carbs? Anybody? For a HST scheme it seems unlikely, but on HIT with a week or so between bouts, it might work (but who wants to do HIT?).
*edit: note that this question is perfectly in line with the topic of this thread.
wink.gif
</div>
Is there evidence that says we can't?

I've been looking at fuel efficiency as a means to explain which fuel is the most normal to use. One glucose molecule yields about 36 ATP. One fatty acid molecule yields between 100 and 200 ATP depending on saturation.

ATP can then be used however the cell wants.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 22 2008,19:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ Mar. 22 2008,19:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

What predators?</div>
Stalling. Find the answer yourself.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Mar. 22 2008,19:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 22 2008,19:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

What predators?</div>
Stalling. Find the answer yourself.</div>
Nope.

You are the one making claims, therefore YOU are the one who must prove it.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 22 2008,19:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nope.

You are the one making claims, therefore YOU are the one who must prove it.</div>
Sorry about that.

Paleolithic predators. Those predators. How about the ancestors to the predators existing today that can and do eat us from time to time? Pick one.

Some more historical reasons not to get fat. Check the health level of anybody who's obese. Check their resistance to illness. Check their propensity for chronic diseases and the resulting debilitating conditions. Compare that to anybody who's not obese or to populations that don't eat refined carbs. See Dr. Weston Price and his book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.

More recently:

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=2832781

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Mar. 22 2008,19:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 22 2008,19:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nope.

You are the one making claims, therefore YOU are the one who must prove it.</div>
Just like I said. You make no effort to seek proof yourself. You ask proof of me. If that proof is not good enough, then you can just dismiss it. If it's good enough, you'll still find a hole in it and eventually dismiss it. And since proof came from me, it doesn't matter anyway because anything I say, regardless of how much sense it makes, you'll just say &quot;Well, he lied so anything he says is a lie too&quot;.

You stall. You resist. Is there a point in the future where after all your objections have been voiced and clarified and after all your questions have been answered that you will finally acknowledge the information that I brought? Or are you just going to continue to ignore it and by extension, ignore me? I understand your reluctance to accept new ideas. But I wouldn't understand your tendency to stick with your old ideas when they stopped making sense.

Paleolithic predators. Those predators. How about the ancestors to the predators existing today that can and do eat us from time to time? Pick one.</div>
Here, you might read this link in order to improve your debate skills for the future:

Burden of Proof (logical fallacy)

Back