My first HST, rep max problem

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by TuVieja, Jan 17, 2014.

1. TuVieja

TuVieja New Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I have to say, so far I'm loving it and I've found it very very helpful :)

So, like the title says I'm going to try my first HST cycle. I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to lifting, but I wouldn't consider my self to be at an intermediate level either. I started lifting on february 2013 but I had to stop around june-july thanks to my studies, but now I've decided to give it another go.

Yesterday I went to the gym to measure my 15 rep maxes and realized that some of them are so low that I wont have the equipment to do a proper progressive loading.
    For example, for my DB shoulder press I got 12.5 kg (something in between 25-30 lb) per dumbell, If I do the calculations for all the percentages like the ebook suggests I get something like this (without rounding up so you can see the actual numbers):

workout 1 -> 9.375 -> 75%
    workout 2 -> 10 -> 80%
    workout 3 -> 10.625 -> 85%
    workout 4 -> 11.25 -> 90%
    workout 5 -> 11.875 -> 95%
    workout 6 -> 12.5 -> 100%

(all in kg, sorry guys we use the metric system in here hahaha)

The problem is that at my gym I only have access to 7.5, 10 and 12.5 kg dumbells. What can I do to still get a proper progressive loading? I apologize if this has already been asked, but I looked around and didn't find anything.

If it is of any help, I'm 24, 6' 1", and weight something like 170 lb, I've always been skinny although last year I did get some gains from all the lifting, I think (and this is a total guess based on pictures) I'm around 15% body fat.

2. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Just round to the nearest usable load. In your case, do 7.5, 7.5, 10, 10, 12.5, 12.5.

3. TuVieja

TuVieja New Member

ok, will do that, thanks! =)