My first HST, rep max problem

TuVieja

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I have to say, so far I'm loving it and I've found it very very helpful :)

So, like the title says I'm going to try my first HST cycle. I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to lifting, but I wouldn't consider my self to be at an intermediate level either. I started lifting on february 2013 but I had to stop around june-july thanks to my studies, but now I've decided to give it another go.

Yesterday I went to the gym to measure my 15 rep maxes and realized that some of them are so low that I wont have the equipment to do a proper progressive loading.
For example, for my DB shoulder press I got 12.5 kg (something in between 25-30 lb) per dumbell, If I do the calculations for all the percentages like the ebook suggests I get something like this (without rounding up so you can see the actual numbers):

workout 1 -> 9.375 -> 75%
workout 2 -> 10 -> 80%
workout 3 -> 10.625 -> 85%
workout 4 -> 11.25 -> 90%
workout 5 -> 11.875 -> 95%
workout 6 -> 12.5 -> 100%

(all in kg, sorry guys we use the metric system in here hahaha)

The problem is that at my gym I only have access to 7.5, 10 and 12.5 kg dumbells. What can I do to still get a proper progressive loading? I apologize if this has already been asked, but I looked around and didn't find anything.

If it is of any help, I'm 24, 6' 1", and weight something like 170 lb, I've always been skinny although last year I did get some gains from all the lifting, I think (and this is a total guess based on pictures) I'm around 15% body fat.

Just round to the nearest usable load. In your case, do 7.5, 7.5, 10, 10, 12.5, 12.5.

Back