My First HST Run.... Bring on the BIG Gains

Hi firstly I have some bad news to report My extrenal hardrive droped and now does not work. I mention this as All my aplining or sets reps weights were saved on this alonside all my pictures and movies and so many othere documents. The reason Why I had to save them on this was My pc had to be formatted. Its really a shame as my harddrive is dead and I have lost so musch work that was on it incluidng other training material etc etc. Also this means I ahve to create and do all the spreadsheets for my weeks 5-6 and 7-8 on this plan. I ahve been very busy running around trying to get it sorted but so far no luck.
I’m not sure what it costs but there are places that specialize in recovering data off broken hard drives.

Workout 5

Hi today was going to be a tough 1. As I was meant to max out on Squats, Barbell rows, Triceps using 100% of my working weight at 10 reps for 2 sets. Deep inside me I knew it would be very tuff. I had a home made weight gainer shake as my breakfast. I always use this for breakfast as I cant really eat much its easier for me to drink the good calories down, lol. 2 hours later I took 2 scoops of jacked preworkout and headed off to the gym. I then started off with 2 mins cycle warm up to loosen out my leg muscle. Below is todays workout and what I achieved. Im glad its over, lol.

A
Squats 107.5kg x2 sets 10 reps
Bench Press 92.5kg x2 sets 10 reps
Bentover Barbell Row 70kg x2 sets 10 reps
Shoulders 62.5kg x2 sets 10 reps
Triceps pressdowns 42.5kg x2 sets 10 reps

I had taken about 4-5 mins rest after doing my first main working set at 10 reps. I hit both 10 reps for 2 sets on squats and bench press and yes they were very hard but I did not give up. When I got to my 2nd set of 10 reps on barbell rows I noticed on 8th rep I was lagging so I put the bar down and had about 25 secinds rest and then did the 2 extra reps to complete that set into 10 reps. This is what I was told to do its called a cluster set. I then happened to get 7 reps on shoulder press and did the same and completed the last 3 reps too. I then struggled to achieve 10 reps on the 2nd set of tricep pushdowns and I got 7 then took 25 seconds rest and banged out the last 3 which then completed my 2nd set into 10 reps. Im glad its done. It was a hard workout. I really feel the program is taking a toll on me know and I am started to feel how difficult its starting to get, but its not bringing me down its making me more excited, lol.

For some reason I was really feeling wak even after taking my preworkout supp, But didnt care myabe the nergy rush from jacked died out on me too quick, lol. But I could afford to not complete my sets so I stayed motivated and banged all I had to do.

Next update Wednesday

Nice work, Zee! The program definitely isn't easy. You should be seeing some good results by now, though. That's usually enough to keep the engine running!

Nice work, Zee! The program definitely isn't easy. You should be seeing some good results by now, though. That's usually enough to keep the engine running!

Hi thanks for your reply. I am definately start to notice some lean gains in size on my arms and back. I had some1 compliment me in the gym yetserday saying its been few weeks since he saw me and im looking more bigger. Im definately feeling great and pumped. Canmt wait to get to the end of this..

Workout 6
End of Week 4

Hi today was my last workout on week 4 and I knew it would be very brutal as I would be using 100% weight on split B. I took my normal weight gainer shake as breakfast then about 2 hours later I took 3 scoops of Usplabs jacked and headed off to the gym. I did a 2min slow run to get warmed up then went staright to the weights. When I unpacked my bag whihc inlcudes my training manual, belt, mp3 player and stop watch I realised I ahd left my chalk home meaning I would struggle for grip. Damn I was very pissed. As I knew I would loose grip on Deadlifts and other exercises. I couldnt go back home so had to just focus on my grip and watch my hands in the mirror. Todays workout is below.

B
Deadlift 120kg x2 sets 10 reps
Bench Press 95kg x2 sets 10 reps
Shoulder Press 65kg x2 sets 10 reps
Pulldowns 85kg x2 sets 10 reps
Biceps 42.5kg x2 sets 10 reps

Today I had to cluster most of my sets due to loosing grip very fast. But I didnt give up all exercises were hit till i reached 10 reps. I took 4-5 mins before starting my main working set 2. 1 thing I will mention and I am very pleased with myself about today Is I manged my 1st and 2nd set on bench press using 95kg for 10 reps without slustering it. This was awesome and I really felt like I made some progress in strength to my bench press. I caould just remeber my last workout where I kind of struggled using 92.5 kg on bench press and today I have achieved a bigger rep mark. I really am so excited. This concludes my journey on weeks 3-4 on doing 2 sets of 10 reps. Saturday I will start my first workout on week 5 doing 3 sets of 5 reps Cant wait now. Im really exicited.

Stay tuned next update saturday..

Now for the fun stuff, Z - the 5s!

Don't be surprised if you feel stronger in 2 weeks. Like TR says, the 5s are like your reward for hard work during the 15s and 10s!

I have been using the 2 rest days to plan out my workout starting saturday whihc will be week 5. I will be starting the 3 sets of 5 reps plan. I have noticed using my current 15 rep max for example on squats it says my 5 rep max is about 122.5kg looking at this I realise how low this is as actually I can easily perform 130kg for 5 reps. I ahve done 140kg for 5 reps aswell but judging as perfect reps I would say 130kg or slighty over can easily be achieved for 5 reps. I dont know why my 5 rep max is so low. Maybe it was because I didnt actually work out my 10,5 rep max and just used the calculator to work them out using my 15 rep mark. Anyway wiull continue and finsih it this time round. When I start it next I know I should Go in and do everything and work out all rep maxes myself. Hopefully I can get a higher mark then what the calculator has given me.

Week 5
Workout 1 3x5 reps

Hi I woke up and had my brekfast as usual and then few hours felt hungry and had 2 slice wholemeal toast with chees and beans with some milk. Then about 1.30mins after I was getting ready for the gym and had my 2 sccops of Usplabs jacked and headed off to the gym. W hen I got there I did a 2.30 seconds cycle warm up I really feel this warms up my legs and prepares me to squat perfectly. I then went and started my 1st workout.

A
Squats 97.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Bench Press 97.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Bentover Barbell Row 65kg x3 sets 5 reps
Shoulders 62.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Triceps pressdowns 37.5kg x3 sets 5 reps

I started off with squats and felt the weight felt more heavier lol, Well kind of. I always get that feeling but I never take it to heart as then it will definately bring my sterngth down. So I continued and balsted out 3 sets for 5 reps. I took only 3 mins rest between bog exrcises like legs, chest etc. Thje rest was just over 1.30 secs I personally think that was great as I really dodnt feel the urge of rest needed. I then went to my first work set on bench after doing a few sets warm up here. I noticed again this was feeling heaier thinking back at last workout I did 95kg for 10 reps with eas and today with 2.5kg increase it felt heavier. I knew straight away it just I wasnt feeling to energized that all. As I do feel my body is getting used to the stim in jacked, lol. So once again I blasted out 3 sets for 5 reps here. After then It was just too easy for me barbell rows, shoulders, triceps Piece of cake seriously. Weight was too light, lol. But this is what the calculator worked out for me at 80% my working weight for squats, bench rows, triceps.

I cant wait for wokrout 2 on Monday. Stay tuned I feel like going in now again and doing that, lol But I,ll Wait.

I will say this porgram really is drilling the gains on me. Im looking far more muscular then I have ever been and my weight is gone up slighty but most important my arms look huge and very lean. As I was lean anyway, lol.

Thanks Im Loving it..

Workout 2

Today I was up early from bed about 10.00am, I had my gainer shake and went out to do my monday shopping. It took about over 2.30mins when I got back home. I was then feeling like I hadn't ate for hours. I was hungry and stomach was scribbling, lol making sounds etc. I looked at the time and knew if I had ate some thing small like cereal It will still take atleast 1 hour 30mins for it to digest meaning I would get late for gym and get back hom for time.

Fo I decided to go as it was. I took over 2 scoops of jacked and headed off to the gym. When I got there I did 2 mins slow run to get things heated up. When I started my training it felt like I had energy aggression, lol. I do belive I have built up a atolernace to stimss and thats why I dont feel jacked energizing me any more. I still continued as theres no looking back once I'm in the gym.

Im wondering Now what could I use to some off stims?

Todays workout

B
Deadlift 112.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Bench Press 100kg x3 sets 5 reps
Shoulder Press 65kg x3 sets 5 reps
Pulldowns 75kg x3 sets 5 reps
Biceps 37.5kg x3 sets 5 reps

Starting from Squats it did feel abit heavu but nothing that bad that I couldnt handle I took my time while performing the 5 reps. I had no energy at this time. By energy I mean aggression. I did my sets and hit all reps with ease. I then amanged the same on bench and I was pleased as really it was me pushing the weight without the aggression. Normally aggression powers me here, lol. Shoulders again felt abit heavy but still hit all my sets. After this the rest 2 exercises were really so easy I didnt even need teh rest, but I still took like 1.30 seconds on lat pulldowns and about 1 min on biceps. These were really too easy today light weight ababay, lol.

Next Update Wednesday Stay tuned..

I have been using the 2 rest days to plan out my workout starting saturday whihc will be week 5. I will be starting the 3 sets of 5 reps plan. I have noticed using my current 15 rep max for example on squats it says my 5 rep max is about 122.5kg looking at this I realise how low this is as actually I can easily perform 130kg for 5 reps. I ahve done 140kg for 5 reps aswell but judging as perfect reps I would say 130kg or slighty over can easily be achieved for 5 reps. I dont know why my 5 rep max is so low. Maybe it was because I didnt actually work out my 10,5 rep max and just used the calculator to work them out using my 15 rep mark. Anyway wiull continue and finsih it this time round. When I start it next I know I should Go in and do everything and work out all rep maxes myself. Hopefully I can get a higher mark then what the calculator has given me.

Don't worry if the weights are a bit too light in the end of 2nd week of fives. You can always try to increase them step by step during the 3rd and 4th week of fives to find your true 5rm and then stick with that to the end (if you aren't doing negatives of course).

Don't worry if the weights are a bit too light in the end of 2nd week of fives. You can always try to increase them step by step during the 3rd and 4th week of fives to find your true 5rm and then stick with that to the end (if you aren't doing negatives of course).

Yeh I know what you are saying here. I still need to understand that part again for weeks 7-8 as I wound be doing negatives instead working on 5 reps for 3 sets for the last 2 weeks aswell.. But Im currrently hinking if my current 5 rep max on bench press is 110kg at week 6 last workout and I hit all 3 sets for 5 reps. Then starting week 7 what weight do I use for my first workout on bench press?

Yesterdays update (Wednesday)

End of Week 6
workout 3

Sorry couldn't update yesterday as I got back late from gym and had to rush to work as I work nights. So here was the workout and what I had achieved below:

A
Squats 110kg x3 sets 5 reps
Bench Press 102.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Bentover Barbell Row 72.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Shoulders 67.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Triceps pressdowns 37.5kg x3 sets 5 reps

I hit all my rep marks. I had decent energy levels after taking jacked. I think this was because I went on the running machine at higher speed level which really bought my heart beat and blood flowing fast which probably got things started up. I will use the same tactic again on staurday and see how ity goes.

Next update saturday..

Week 6
Workout 4

I slept about about 10 hours yesterday, lol. I love to sleep for hours. I got up at about 3pm Uk time. I had Muscle juice 4 scoops as breakfast couldnt really be botherd to make a home made shake today. 2 hours later had 1 slice wholemeal toast. I know its very poor to supply my enough energy for my brutal workout But time was getting close and I didnt want to bloat myself as then wouldnd feel the energy from jacked during my workout. 1 hour later it was time to go gym. I had 3 scoops jacked today. I was feeling some energy levels. I went to the gym and didnt even bother doing a slow walk on treadmill etc. Just wnet straight down to the weights did a few stretches and thats it started my Deadlifts. Below is my workout for today:

B
Deadlift 125kg x3 sets 5 reps
Bench Press 105kg x3 sets 5 reps
Shoulder Press 70kg x3 sets 5 reps
Pulldowns 85kg x3 sets 5 reps
Biceps 42.5kg x3 sets 5 reps

I started off with a bang and smashed out the 3 sets on dead lifts. then went to bench and after my first sets at 105kg I felt pain in my right shoulder. I knew the rest or the workout will be more hard, But theres no stopping no. I manged to do the remaining to sets at 5 reps each. Then moved to shoulders bang bang I couldnt believe it 3 sets at 70kg 5 reps easy with this shoulder pain aswell. I really can tell strength is increasing. Im loving it. I then finished teh remaining wokrout for all sets at 5 reps. Today I didnt need to cluster my sets. I was focussed and I stayed slight aggressive as it really helps me lift.

Netx updat will be Monday. Where I will be maxing out on Split A. Cant wait. Bring on the Gains..

Yeh I know what you are saying here. I still need to understand that part again for weeks 7-8 as I wound be doing negatives instead working on 5 reps for 3 sets for the last 2 weeks aswell.. But Im currrently hinking if my current 5 rep max on bench press is 110kg at week 6 last workout and I hit all 3 sets for 5 reps. Then starting week 7 what weight do I use for my first workout on bench press?

Based on what I have read here there is 2 options:

1. [The standard option]: Repeat your before determined 100% 5RM for the last two weeks. That would mean you do the bench with the 110 in each workout for the weeks 7-8

OR

2. You can try to raise the weight each workout a bit, say 5 % or 2,5 kg or even in as small increments as there are plates, as long as you can lift all reps and find your true 5RM. Then just repeat that weight till the end of week 8. For example that would mean you'd start Bench on week 7 with 112,5 if you managed the 110 and then raise each workout 2,5 kg till you find your 5RM (I would stop there where you can lift it the first set 5 times but the 2nd or 3rd not anymore for full 5) and go with that to the end.

(OR 3. as in option 2. but repeat the last weight or "True 5RM" for whole 2 weeks and therefore also lengthen the cycle a bit as described here.)

I myself am thinking of going with the option 2 and increasing with as small steps as there are plates once I reach weeks 7 and 8.

Based on what I have read here there is 2 options:

1. [The standard option]: Repeat your before determined 100% 5RM for the last two weeks. That would mean you do the bench with the 110 in each workout for the weeks 7-8

OR

2. You can try to raise the weight each workout a bit, say 5 % or 2,5 kg or even in as small increments as there are plates, as long as you can lift all reps and find your true 5RM. Then just repeat that weight till the end of week 8. For example that would mean you'd start Bench on week 7 with 112,5 if you managed the 110 and then raise each workout 2,5 kg till you find your 5RM (I would stop there where you can lift it the first set 5 times but the 2nd or 3rd not anymore for full 5) and go with that to the end.

(OR 3. as in option 2. but repeat the last weight or "True 5RM" for whole 2 weeks and therefore also lengthen the cycle a bit as described here.)

I myself am thinking of going with the option 2 and increasing with as small steps as there are plates once I reach weeks 7 and 8.

Yes I think the option 2 will cuite me better as that could get me to aim higher and reach a higher 5 rep max each workout?

As I train shoulders and bench press each workout I could use the princilple of increasingh the weight by 2.5kg each workout If I hit my 5 rep mark on the sets. But how do I workout what weight I should use for the following:

Im rotating:
Squats with Deadlifts
Rows with lat pulldowns
Triceps with biceps

In my first workout Im using 80% of my wokring weigt then 2nd workout 90% thenm 3rd workout 100%.
So below is my current 100% wokring weight which I will be doing and maxing out on week 6 this week.

Squats 122.5kg
Deadlifts 140kg
Rows 85kg
Latpulldowns 95kg
Triceps 47.5kg
Biceps 47.5kg

So Like you mentioned How do I use this for weeks 7-8 How much weight should I add onto these maxes then work out my 80/90 and 100% max weight to train in weeks 7-8?

Workout 5
Maxing out on split A

I had about 40grams of whey with water then about 30mins after I had some cheerios wilth milk as breakfast. I thought Id chnge breakfast around for today. after about 1.30mins I took 3 scoops of jacked and went t the gym. I knew today was going to be difficult as I was supposed to ba maxing out on squats. Plus I still have some pain in my right shoulder from that day. Today was looking solid and very brutal. I did a 2.30 seconds rund on the treadmill instead of cycle warm up. I then went to start my squats.

Todays workout
A
Squats 122.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Bench Press 107.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Bentover Barbell Row 80kg x3 sets 5 reps
Shoulders 72.5kg x3 sets 5 reps
Triceps pressdowns 47.5kg x3 sets 5 reps

I can gladly say I was truley amazed how I maxed out today on bench, rows, I found my 3rd set on squats difficult and then just went half way. Just one of those days so not really worried at all. I know Im maxing out on bench on wednesday at 110kg and really cant weight. So far I can clearly see my sterngth is way up on bench after todays stats that was 107.5 kg for 5 reps 3 sets on my own. Bang BANG, LOL. Shoulders was abit hard as I do them standing but still manged them out.

Cant wait for my next workout. If I push out 3 sets at 5 reps for bench press on wednesday using 110kg does any1 know how to work out my 1 rep max. As before starting this program I could just do 1 set at 110kg for 5 reps and even then my 5th rep would be difficult to get up.Lol.

Stay tuned those who are following. Things are really going up hill know..

Yes I think the option 2 will cuite me better as that could get me to aim higher and reach a higher 5 rep max each workout?

In my first workout Im using 80% of my wokring weigt then 2nd workout 90% thenm 3rd workout 100%.
So below is my current 100% wokring weight which I will be doing and maxing out on week 6 this week.

Squats 122.5kg
Deadlifts 140kg
Rows 85kg
Latpulldowns 95kg
Triceps 47.5kg
Biceps 47.5kg

So Like you mentioned How do I use this for weeks 7-8 How much weight should I add onto these maxes then work out my 80/90 and 100% max weight to train in weeks 7-8?

There is no such thing as 80% 90% or like that during weeks 7 and 8. Its always at least 100% 5RM or trying to make a new 5 rep max.

So, if you can make those weights you listed in the last workout during week 6, use the same principle as in the bench, that is raise with about 5% ~2,5 kg or 5kg (or even less if you are close) and try to make a new max. It does not matter that you do these only every second training. The principle stays the same. When you are not able to raise the weight in some exercise, just repeat the weights in that exercise to the end.

So if you are really tough and could do new records every time, It might be like this during wks 7 and 8 [only an example!]:

Squats 125kg-127,5-130
Deadlifts 142,5-145-147,5
Rows 87,5-90-92,5
Latpulldowns 95kg-97,5-100
Triceps 50kg-52,5-55
Biceps 50kg-52,5-55

Of course you have to make the decision yourself if to raise the weight at all to the next session or just keep it the same, and how much to raise, based on how well you could lift it in the current session.

There is no such thing as 80% 90% or like that during weeks 7 and 8. Its always at least 100% 5RM or trying to make a new 5 rep max.

So, if you can make those weights you listed in the last workout during week 6, use the same principle as in the bench, that is raise with about 5% ~2,5 kg or 5kg (or even less if you are close) and try to make a new max. It does not matter that you do these only every second training. The principle stays the same. When you are not able to raise the weight in some exercise, just repeat the weights in that exercise to the end.

So if you are really tough and could do new records every time, It might be like this during wks 7 and 8 [only an example!]:

Squats 125kg-127,5-130
Deadlifts 142,5-145-147,5
Rows 87,5-90-92,5
Latpulldowns 95kg-97,5-100
Triceps 50kg-52,5-55
Biceps 50kg-52,5-55

Of course you have to make the decision yourself if to raise the weight at all to the next session or just keep it the same, and how much to raise, based on how well you could lift it in the current session.

Thanks mate Excellent reply couldnt get it any more simplar. I will use it this way. As it will suit my strength gains and move me up slowly. I as thinking of jumping higher but no that would be silly and very greedy. Thanks for your reply I needed it..

Late Update..

Update for Wednesday 6th April

Today was my last workout for week 6. Today I was going to max out on Split B. I had me breakfast and went out to do some shopping. 2 hours later had my jacked and headed off to the gym. Todays's Workout.

B
Deadlift 140kg x3 sets 5 reps
Bench Press 110kg x3 sets 5 reps
Shoulder Press 75kg x3 sets 5 reps
Pulldowns 95kg x3 sets 5 reps
Biceps 47.5kg x3 sets 5 reps

Starting off with deadlifts I manged 3 sets for 5 reps its was very brutal. That's all I have to say. I then shocked myself when I did 3 sets back to back with about 4 mins rest inbetween each set and manged 3 sets @ 100kg for 5 reps. I couldnt belive it I just manged it with ease. The most I ahve ever done is 1 set @ 100kg for 5 reps but today I managed 3. Incredible. then moving on to shoulders I found bit difficult on set3. Pulldowns seemed quite heavy too coulndt do full 5 all the way down to chest but they were close enough. Bicep sets were done with perfect form. This consuldes the last workout.

I know this is supposed to be a 8 week program but no I have gained a general idea on how this works. So I have decided to leave and end it at 6 weeks. I will now take a break from gym for 1-2 weeks then start my run 2 with soem chnges to my current training in the Hst. I really cant wait. It will really be exicting.

Overall. I can honetsly say my strength and confidence has grown on nearly every exercise which means I can lift it without thinking it will be heavy. Also I can confirm I have gained lean mass on my back arms shoulders and legs. and a small amount of mass on chest but not as much as all the other parts. I dont know why but chest really is lacking in size from after completing this hst run.

I would like to thnak every1 for following my log and Most of all thank all the rep forums and forum experts for being so helpful and helping me get started on the hst program. I wish every1 good luck at their first run. If I can be at any1 help please message me.. Thank you all...

End of Week 6

End of Log..

Will start 2nd log soon after taking a break... I will come back with some changes to my exercise list..

Thanks

Back