My First HST Run.... Bring on the BIG Gains

Zeebodybuilder

Hi, I have just signed up at this forum a few weeks back I have been using my time to learn about how to set up a HST program to use for more mass gains. With the help of many members and forum expert reps i manged to get things together, I belive this Hst deserves a Log. So I will be logging it on a regular basis. I will get right into it.

Below are the exercises I have chosen and my current 15 rep max on all. The weight is written in Kg not lbs.

Squats 90kg
Bench Press 80kg
Bentover Barbell Row 60kg
Triceps pressdowns 35kg
Deadlift 100kg
Shoulder Press 55kg
Pulldowns 70kg
Biceps 35kg

The program is boken down into a A-B split. The days I will be training are Sat/Mon/Wed/.
Below is the Split:

A
Squats
Bench Press
Bentover Barbell Row
Shoulders
Triceps pressdowns

B
Deadlift
Bench
Pulldowns
Shoulders
Biceps

Last edited:
Week 1
1st Workout Sat 26th feb
A
Squats 72kg
Bench Press 67.5kg
Bentover Barbell Row 47.5kg
Shoulders 42.5kg
Triceps pressdowns 27.5kg

2nd Workout Mon 28th feb
B
Deadlift 80kg
Bench 70kg
Pulldowns 56kg
Shoulders 45kg
Biceps 27.5kg

3rd Workout Wed 2nd mar
A
Squats 80kg
Bench Press 72.5kg
Bentover Barbell Row 55kg
Shoulders 47.5kg
Triceps pressdowns 32kg

Week 2
Today Was My 4th workout which was on Split B.
B
Deadlift 90kg
Bench 75kg
Pulldowns 65kg
Shoulders 50kg
Biceps 32.5kg

All the above sets were met using the 15 rep scheme I only did 1 work set @ 15 reps. Som days it did feel like i was weak maybe due to the bad weather but I never gave up as I knew I could lift heavier weight then the one I was lifting. I was mentally pushing myself. I dont feel any real soreness yet.

I will update accordingly now after I attend my wokrouts at the gym. I will keep my log informed and how I feel the gains and if they are coming along.

Next workout 5 on Monday.

Last edited:
Your plan looks great, Zee! Based on your effort putting together the perfect program - I'm certain your gains will be impressive.

You're right that the 15s are sometimes more of a mental challenge than a strength challenge. But you could start feeling some burn this week. I usually lift with a slower tempo during the lighter sessions.

Good deal. Keep at it.

Your plan looks great, Zee! Based on your effort putting together the perfect program - I'm certain your gains will be impressive.

You're right that the 15s are sometimes more of a mental challenge than a strength challenge. But you could start feeling some burn this week. I usually lift with a slower tempo during the lighter sessions.

Thanks for your replies and joining in guys.. Next update in a few hours..

Workout 5

A
Squats 90kg
Bench Press 77.5kg
Bentover Barbell Row 60kg
Shoulders 52.5kg
Triceps pressdowns 35kg

Todays workout was kind of tuff. As even though had a shake for breakfast like I normally do The weights seemed abit heavy, lol. I know sounds wierd as I have maxed out using slighty heavier weights for 15 reps.

I started off with squats I noticed i was feeling abit weak not sure why. Then same happened on bench and barbell rows then shoulders and even triceps. But I didnt give up. even though I raced some of my reps through I still hit all 15 reps for all the above exercises. I now have 1 more workout which is on wednesday and that concludes my 2 weeks on 15 reps. I have started to use my time to plan out my next 2 weeks cycle using 10 reps.

I ahve 1 question though whihc seems to come to my mind. For example My 10rep for bench is 100kg? How can 1 do 2 sets of 10 reps using the same weight. For example if he barely managed to squeeze out his 10th rep first time round in set 1. I dont see it possible to get 10 reps in his 2nd set.? What do you experts have to say on this.

Also so fgar I ahve been using minimum rest between these 2 weeks as I have just been performing 1 set of 15 reps. Only today I needed like 3 mins rest before my main wokring set etc.
I think I will be needing 5 mins or slighty more to achieve 2 sets using a 10 rep mark next week.

Stay tuned for the fun. Im so excited...

Workout 5
...I ahve 1 question though whihc seems to come to my mind. For example My 10rep for bench is 100kg? How can 1 do 2 sets of 10 reps using the same weight. For example if he barely managed to squeeze out his 10th rep first time round in set 1. I dont see it possible to get 10 reps in his 2nd set.? What do you experts have to say on this.

Also so fgar I ahve been using minimum rest between these 2 weeks as I have just been performing 1 set of 15 reps. Only today I needed like 3 mins rest before my main wokring set etc.
I think I will be needing 5 mins or slighty more to achieve 2 sets using a 10 rep mark next week.

Hi

Your strength will improve as the program goes on, so I think you have no problem with your previous 10RM, even with two sets. And as you said yourself, a longer break might do the trick. If not, I would not recommend pushing to failure, instead "cluster" the set... Quit just before you would fail, take a short break and finish the set.

Lookin forward to see your progress!

Hi

Your strength will improve as the program goes on, so I think you have no problem with your previous 10RM, even with two sets. And as you said yourself, a longer break might do the trick. If not, I would not recommend pushing to failure, instead "cluster" the set... Quit just before you would fail, take a short break and finish the set.

Lookin forward to see your progress!

Hi thanks for joining in, Also my current 10 rep and 5 rep max which I will be using for all exercises is taken from a calculator which generated them for me. All I did was find out my 15 rep maxes and then used that in a calculator to work out my 10 rep and 5 rep maxes. I hope they are near accurate, lol.

You mentioned not to go to failure in workouts 1-4 I was told and also read if you mange 10 reps first set and then 2nd set only achieve 5 then take a rest and lift the bar agin and if you only get 3 then take a rest again and do the last 2 reps that will total 10 reps. Is this what you meant by cluster the set.. Am I right guys..

Basically I had a image in mind to ( I ahve to achive 10 reps in 2nd set no matter what happens) .

Here's my rule about more than 1 set and hitting desired reps:

(for the sake of this example, I'll refer to 10 rep series):

If I can't complete 10 reps unbroken (on the 1st and 2nd set) at all, I repeat that load next session
If I complete 10 reps 1st set, but not the 2nd - I just rack the bar, wait a few seconds, then finish the set with however reps remain
If I can't complete 10 reps the 1st set, but can the 2nd, I re-evaluate my warm up sets.

Week 2
Last Workout Day 6
OH YES

I knew what I had to achieve today. I knew I had to just bang this day out and hit my rep mark. I was thinking about todays workout since 2 days, lol.
I went in fuming after taking my preworkout supp. I started with the following exercises and I'm glad I hit all me rep marks. I did started to take about 3 mins rest just before doing my main working set. I noticed while performing my main sets on some exercises I really though I couldnt mange any more reps normally I would just put the bar down. But I didnt I kept taking a breath while holidng the bar and squeezing out the reps I manged all 15 reps.

Deadlift 100kg
Bench Press 80kg
Shoulder Press 55kg
Pulldowns 70kg
Biceps 35kg

Now its all about 10 reps wokrout starting This saturday. I can already feel the pressure building upon me. As I know doing 2 sets of 10 reps while take alot more effort then 1 set of 15 reps. Plus it will definately take more time in the gym.

Stay tuned guys.. In the mean while if any1 has got time got the put my 15 rep maxes for all the above 8 exercises in a calculator and see what they find out would be my 10 rep mark weight. As I would like to see what weight you get. I have used a few calculators and they all are showing a few kgs up or down on each exercise I really cant find which is giving me the right weight. Thats if some1 got time. It will be really apprecaited.. Let th big gains rain on Me...

Here's my rule about more than 1 set and hitting desired reps:

(for the sake of this example, I'll refer to 10 rep series):

If I can't complete 10 reps unbroken (on the 1st and 2nd set) at all, I repeat that load next session
If I complete 10 reps 1st set, but not the 2nd - I just rack the bar, wait a few seconds, then finish the set with however reps remain
If I can't complete 10 reps the 1st set, but can the 2nd, I re-evaluate my warm up sets.

Hi thanks for your reply..

I think line 2 applies to me where you have wrote:
So for this basically on my 2nd set if i hit 5 reps i shoudl put the bar down or weight depending on what I'm training and then take about 20-30 secs rest then do about 3 that will then add to 8 reps. Then I can take another short rest and bang the last 2 reps out. How does that sound. Is this the right way.. Cheers..

Week 3 Saturday 12th March

Below is what the calculator has calculated for me at 10 rep max weight..

10 rep maxSquats105Bench press95Bentover Row70Shoulder Press65Tricep Pushdown42Dead lift120Lat Pull Downs83Bicep Curls42

Week 3
Workout 1

Today I went in to perform my 1st wokrout for week 3 whic uses the 10 rep scheme for all exercises using slighty heavier weight then previously used weeks. Today I knew what I had to achieve so I had been well focused before hand.
Todays workout:

A
Squats 85kg x2 sets 10 reps
Bench Press 82.5kg x2 sets 10 reps
Bentover Barbell Row 55kg x2 sets 10 reps
Shoulders 52.5kg x2 sets 10 reps
Triceps pressdowns 32.5kg x2 sets 10 reps

I did a few warm up sets for Squats bench barbell rows etc. then went straight to the main work sets which were 2 sets for 10 reps. I manged to hit all 10 reps sets after another I did not need to cluster them. For those who dont understand cluster I meant take a break and try again if I couldnt achieve 10 reps. I noticed strength was decent but nothing special yet as its just the start. During todays workout the whole upper body felt seriously pumped I loved the feeling.. I believe week 4 would be very taxing and I'm mentally prepared to take it on.

Next update will be monday stay tuned...

Below is what the calculator has calculated for me at 10 rep max weight..

10 rep maxSquats105Bench press95Bentover Row70Shoulder Press65Tricep Pushdown42Dead lift120Lat Pull Downs83Bicep Curls42

Hi,

With quick glance the values seem right.

Quoting Brian from the HST FAQ:

"Add 20% [to 15RM] to get your 10RM. Then add 15% to your 10RM to estimate your 5RM.

So if your 15RM for bench is 200lbs, you can estimate that your 10RM will be around 240lbs. And further, if your 10RM is 240 your 5RM will be around 276lbs.

When estimating your maxes, be conservative. It’s better to guess too light than too heavy."

Hi thanks for your reply..

I think line 2 applies to me where you have wrote:
So for this basically on my 2nd set if i hit 5 reps i shoudl put the bar down or weight depending on what I'm training and then take about 20-30 secs rest then do about 3 that will then add to 8 reps. Then I can take another short rest and bang the last 2 reps out. How does that sound. Is this the right way.. Cheers..

Yeah, you've got it. Actually, working the reps this way is in my opinion more effective than resting longer and trying again to hit the full 10 reps.

Hi,

With quick glance the values seem right.

Quoting Brian from the HST FAQ:

"Add 20% [to 15RM] to get your 10RM. Then add 15% to your 10RM to estimate your 5RM.

So if your 15RM for bench is 200lbs, you can estimate that your 10RM will be around 240lbs. And further, if your 10RM is 240 your 5RM will be around 276lbs.

When estimating your maxes, be conservative. It’s better to guess too light than too heavy."

Hi thanks for your reply. I will use your formula to see if my weights are accurate. Thanks

Workout 2

Hi today was the day I did my 1st workout for split B. Todays workout was done perfectly. I did a few warm up sets for all exercises and then performed 2 sets of 10 reps. Im very happy so far so good. Not feeling the struggle yet.

B
Deadlift 95kg x2 sets 10 reps
Bench Press 85kg x2 sets 10 reps
Shoulder Press 55kg x2 sets 10 reps
Pulldowns 65kg x2 sets 10 reps
Biceps 32.5kg x2 sets 10 reps

I really cant wait for the next workout as each workout is started to bring more increase of weight and the heat is really on now, lol. Im really loving it. I have started to notice some slight changes and lean mass coming slowly. I surely believe the HST will
Deliver gains for me like no other program has.

Stay tuned next update Wednesday...

Workout 3

Today I had a home made weight gainer which consisted of 100grams of grinded oats which is about 60 grams of pure carbs mixed with 2 scoops of when protein in water as my breakfast. After about 2 hours I drank 2 scoops of my preworkout powder and mixed my Xtend with water and headed off to the gym. I started off with a slow cycle warm up which was about 2 mins then started on my first exercise which was Squats. Below is what I have achieved today. Todays workout was using my 90% wokring weight for 10 rep max.

A
Squats 95kg x2 sets 10 reps
Bench Press 87.5kg x2 sets 10 reps
Bentover Barbell Row 62.5kg x2 sets 10 reps
Shoulders 57.5kg x2 sets 10 reps
Triceps pressdowns 37.5kg x2 sets 10 reps

I did started off weak on squats then managed not to drag myself down. I dont know why I was feeling like this. I hit all my sets for 10 reps sets after set. I took about 3-4 mins rest in between my main working set. My confidence has started to grow slowly, lol. I even feel the lean mass and my whole body hardening up. I am loving this feeling. I have 2 days to rest now and eat. Can wait for workout 4.

For those who think im keeping my log small. This is because right now when I get back from gym I have about a hour to log this and eat and get ready and leave for work. therfore I try to keep it small and direct to the point. I like to log it and so I do.

Next update Saturday

Week 4
Workout 4

Hi firstly I have some bad news to report My extrenal hardrive droped and now does not work. I mention this as All my aplining or sets reps weights were saved on this alonside all my pictures and movies and so many othere documents. The reason Why I had to save them on this was My pc had to be formatted. Its really a shame as my harddrive is dead and I have lost so musch work that was on it incluidng other training material etc etc. Also this means I ahve to create and do all the spreadsheets for my weeks 5-6 and 7-8 on this plan. I ahve been very busy running around trying to get it sorted but so far no luck.

Anyway back to the topic. Workout 4.

Todays workout was another big success for me. I hot all my sets for 10 reps for a total of 2 sets per exercise. Theses were my main working set. Below is what I achieved today.

B
Deadlift 107.5kg x2 sets 10 reps
Bench Press 90kg x2 sets 10 reps
Shoulder Press 60kg x2 sets 10 reps
Pulldowns 75kg x2 sets 10 reps
Biceps 37.5kg x2 sets 10 reps

With great success and some speedy reps I belive I achieved 2 sets od 10 reps on bench press this was my kind of worry for me. As I really never could belive I could achieve that. Does this mean my strength has gone up? My whole body was pumped and I was fully focussed with the help of usplabs jacked at 2.5scoop preworkout.

Next update Monday. Cany wait Im really digging in deep for these big gains in mass.

Back