My Low Carb Diet Experiment

<div>
(Lol @ May 06 2008,7:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">... but I hope Martin is reading this thread.</div>
*Ouch!!*

Gently insert the blade between the third and fourth rib, then twist slowly...  
wink.gif

Haha, you guys are out for blood, and I don't blame you.

I've been perusing around on some other low carb websites and most of them say you do have to watch your calories somewhat.  Even Atkins admitted that a sedentary person can't lose weight on 5k calories per day.  So, most of those guys don't entirely discount calories.  

I'm a very sedentary person.  I sit behind a computer all day.  One hour in the gym and one hour on the treadmill or half hour on ski machine during off day is nothing compared to someone like quadancer who is out jumping around in mud, hanging off eaves, and carrying lumber around for 8-10 hours.  I think I'll calm down on the calories and maintain a strict 3200 cals per day, as initially planned.

I do like the diet, as I'm more alert and I feel good.  That is the way I feel NOW, anyway.   I don't know what the future holds.  

I didn't have any bloodwork done before the test, but I still think I'll get some done after I finish.  Took blood pressure this morning....116/72, pulse rate 55bpm.  Pretty average stats for me.

Day #9

Eating less bacon and more salmon to keep calories at 3200.

Day off
32 minutes moderate cardio

At this point I think I'll just give weekly updates on my progress

lol...yeah, there's a pretty big difference tween what you're doing and what I did. My low carb nightmare was also hypocaloric, and my fat content was only @33% or so, the rest being lean protein sources....no WONDER I wanted to slash my wrists!!!!

Honestly, the only way I survived it was by drinking like 4 black coffees per day, and popping a guarana pill when I spontaneously fell asleep at work or something
laugh.gif

Whatever the dietary intake, tho, I think the standard rule in weight loss is that unless calories in &lt; calories burned, the weight won't come off, at least over the long haul.

Everyone feels like **** when cutting...I will even feel moody or sad at times, which I am sure is my body trying to trick me into eating ;)

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 07 2008,1:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, cutting sucks no matter how you do it. Hypocaloric = no energy, feel like ****. At least for me.
sad.gif
</div>
Sci, this is why you won our little contest in December.
tounge.gif

Steve, good call on replacing bacon with salmon!

And now its time to cut again for me. I just started recently and I already hate it. I just can't stand being 'jiggly' anywhere. I tend to bulk too fast and get fat quick...after this cut I need to work on STAYING more lean. Your slow bulk idea sounds smart in hindsight.
blush.gif

<div>
(jwbond @ May 07 2008,1:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Everyone feels like **** when cutting...I will even feel moody or sad at times, which I am sure is my body trying to trick me into eating ;)</div>
The worst part is when you have dreams about food, and when your desire for food is much greater than your desire for sex. I mean, for a guy, that is terrible. That's when I know it's time to take a break from dieting...

How about you have a delicious slice of cake and then a load of sex to burn it off?! I know why not - for starters you'd have to eat the whole cake and then the misses would have a headache!

It has been a while since I hung around this forum much. I'm quite interested in your log, Steve.

Last I recall, you'd had a few good runs with HST, then one where you made no gains. Following that I believe you were trying Sheiko, or Smolov or at least one of the Russian high-volume routines, but had an injury that put you out of commission for a bit.

I'm curious as to how things have gone since, and what kind of HST routine you like these days. I'm thinking that before you may have been doing something like 12s/8s/5s for the first 6 weeks, with maybe 1 work set for usually 2 exercises per BP. Seems like that was with either no SD or a pretty short one. Looks like you have a little more volume now. If my memory is accurate, are you still using different rep ranges than vanilla HST for the early weeks?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This morning I weigh 169 pounds. No change from 30 days ago. </div>
That from the thread posted by Martin. Obviously the nocarb diet would be virtually impossible to bulk on. If you could, it would be the most uncomfortable eating regime on planet earth. Carbs win again, inasmuch as they have their uses. I do like, however the energy concept of ketones. I've felt pretty draggy on the IF so far, especially since I cut out the 'drol. He said IF along with the keto was actually making him high and he'd have to get off the diet to burn off or drop off some of the energy.
Dang, I could sure use THAT problem!
laugh.gif

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ May 11 2008,2:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Last I recall, you'd had a few good runs with HST, then one where you made no gains. Following that I believe you were trying.......</div>
Wow, you have an excellent memory.  You pretty much summed up what I've been doing.   The last program I did was a customized workout based on an advanced sheiko routine...basically 4 weeks on, 1 week off, repeat.    I was only able to do two cycles of that program until I couldn't take anymore and turned into an overtrained vegetable for four weeks.  Plus, I've had my fair share of injuries with other programs.  Too old for all that stuff.  Anyway, by the time all that was over I weighed about 305, now I'm down to 280-285.  With the help of this high calorie low carb diet I may get back up to 300 again, lol.
Yeah, I'm doing vanilla HST.   Look at Bryan's sample training program.  15,10,5,5...one week off...repeat.   Workouts are 65%,72%,79%,86%,93%, 100%.  I want an &quot;easy&quot; plan, something I can stick to and won't overtrain with while I cut.  In the past, when I was only doing one set with HST, my program was more like 85% through 100% instead of 65% through 100%.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That from the thread posted by Martin. Obviously the nocarb diet would be virtually impossible to bulk on. </div>

If you want to have that &quot;problem&quot;, go running for one hour, or maybe swim for a solid hour....Read some excerpts of posts by that guy Jeff.  How the heck are you going to BULK when you're doing this much exercise?  

&quot;I ran the equivalent of a half-marathon on my treadmill today-13.1 miles. This was in a show of support for Heather, who ran a REAL half marathon today.&quot;

&quot;I am in Panama City Beach!!!  I just turned onto Front Beach Road and I'm running along the beautiful beach.  It seems I actually have about 10 miles to go........&quot;

&quot;It will be a while before I catch you, all this running riding and swimming should keep me busy for a while though.&quot;

&quot;I tested positive for ketones today several hours after my 7 mile run.  It showed in between small and moderate&quot;

&quot;We've traveled 6105.7 klicks of this 40,075 kilometre Magic Bus World Tour!....Adding 11.6 km for a run in the park&quot;

&quot;I did 5.4 miles today running a new record!
Great job, Rich.  Do you have any goals for your running?  Like to be able to run x number of miles, or run several miles at x minutes per mile?&quot;

&quot;Sol, I do a little lifting, but mosty I run.  I sometimes dabble with IF, but for one week last summer I did it every day.  It did not hinder my workouts at all.  When I do it, I guess ...&quot;

<div>
(stevejones @ May 11 2008,3:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That from the thread posted by Martin. Obviously the nocarb diet would be virtually impossible to bulk on. </div>

If you want to have that &quot;problem&quot;, go running for one hour, or maybe swim for a solid hour....Read some excerpts of posts by that guy Jeff. How the heck are you going to BULK when you're doing this much exercise?

&quot;I ran the equivalent of a half-marathon on my treadmill today-13.1 miles. This was in a show of support for Heather, who ran a REAL half marathon today.&quot;

&quot;I am in Panama City Beach!!! I just turned onto Front Beach Road and I'm running along the beautiful beach. It seems I actually have about 10 miles to go........&quot;

&quot;It will be a while before I catch you, all this running riding and swimming should keep me busy for a while though.&quot;

&quot;I tested positive for ketones today several hours after my 7 mile run. It showed in between small and moderate&quot;

&quot;We've traveled 6105.7 klicks of this 40,075 kilometre Magic Bus World Tour!....Adding 11.6 km for a run in the park&quot;

&quot;I did 5.4 miles today running a new record!
Great job, Rich. Do you have any goals for your running? Like to be able to run x number of miles, or run several miles at x minutes per mile?&quot;

&quot;Sol, I do a little lifting, but mosty I run. I sometimes dabble with IF, but for one week last summer I did it every day. It did not hinder my workouts at all. When I do it, I guess ...&quot;</div>
First page of the thread I linked to, about half way down:

Quote from jeff:
&quot;No exercise is allowed in this metabolic ward.&quot;

I take it that by &quot;metabolic ward&quot;, he means his experiment. I don't think he's actually in a metabolic ward.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ May 11 2008,4:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Quote from jeff:
&quot;No exercise is allowed in this metabolic ward.&quot;

I take it that by &quot;metabolic ward&quot;, he means his experiment. I don't think he's actually in a metabolic ward.</div>
awesome, thanks

Hafta go back and check it out later (mother'sday movietime now) because that's gonna be real important to verify. And of course, it's just one anecdote, I realize.
...and what, NO exersize? No lifting? That would put the &quot;ward&quot; out of our jurisdiction of interest then. Or just no cardio? So as of now, Big Steve is our only viable candidate in action, and what? 2 others in here with experience.

Okay, end of week #2, measuring day, weighing day, etc.

Waist:  39.5
Weight: 280
Calories this week: 22,400...maintained 3200 every day

So, seems I have lost some fat this week.  I don't know what the deal is with my weight.  Guess my water levels fluctuate up and down.  In the past, my body has always been whacked...it hangs onto muscle and fat for dear life even with low calories, then after a few weeks it kicks into high gear and I start to lose both at a fast rate.  Maybe that is what is happening again.  Anyway, I have no clue....the numbers 'is what they is.'  

Strength/endurance in gym this morning:  great

Energy level while sitting on my butt all day behind computer:  great

Concerns:
I have had zero carbs this past week.  The only thing that could have put carbs in my body was cheese, which is about.....1/3 gram per ounce?  Well, my ketone levels have dropped.  The strips told me I had a large amount toward the end of last week, now they tell me I barely have a moderate amount.  I don't understand this.  I have to be surviving on them because I don't consume any carbs.  Odd....anyway, that's the scoop with me...On toward the third week

Back