My Low Carb Diet Experiment

ketosticks only show what is in the urine, and once adapted, the kidneys increase resorption of ketones. Which means the levels of ketones in the urine will lower.  Blood ketones would provide a nicer number, but a tad more difficult to perform at home.

<div>
(stevejones @ May 12 2008,5:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Okay, end of week #2, measuring day, weighing day, etc.

Waist:  39.5
Weight: 280
Calories this week: 22,400...maintained 3200 every day

So, seems I have lost some fat this week.  </div>
Not to rain on your parade, but what makes you think that you lost fat?

A big boy like you could lose a good amount of water weight from the lack of carbs (which you may have already lost, but maybe this was more water)...

<div>
(jwbond @ May 13 2008,1:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(stevejones @ May 12 2008,5:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Okay, end of week #2, measuring day, weighing day, etc.

Waist:  39.5
Weight: 280
Calories this week: 22,400...maintained 3200 every day

So, seems I have lost some fat this week.  </div>
Not to rain on your parade, but what makes you think that you lost fat?  

A big boy like you could lose a good amount of water weight from the lack of carbs (which you may have already lost, but maybe this was more water)...</div>
Well, Steve's waist measurement has apparently dropped from 40.25 to 39.5 which is a sign that some fat has been mobilised.

The truth is that I don't know if I lost any fat.  Maybe my gut isn't as bloated because I'm eating less salty bacon, therefore holding less water.  That's why I used the word &quot;seemed.&quot;   At least I know that my ketone strips are pretty much useless at this stage of the game. I'm starting to do less sets on the leg press and more sets on deadlift and squat which is starting to tire me out more at the gym.  Will be interesting to monitor my energy level as I move toward my maximum effort days.

<div>
(stevejones @ May 13 2008,7:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The truth is that I don't know if I lost any fat. Maybe my gut isn't as bloated because I'm eating less salty bacon, therefore holding less water. That's why I used the word &quot;seemed.&quot; At least I know that my ketone strips are pretty much useless at this stage of the game. I'm starting to do less sets on the leg press and more sets on deadlift and squat which is starting to tire me out more at the gym. Will be interesting to monitor my energy level as I move toward my maximum effort days.</div>
Did you take a before picture Steve?

<div>
(jwbond @ May 14 2008,4:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">take one now then...sometimes the mirror/camera is a better indicator than the scale and tape!</div>
I know what you mean but tapes, callipers and scales don't lie much (assuming they are of a decent quality) whereas lighting conditions can change the look of a pic dramatically. That's why photographers get paid lots of money! Sometimes I look pretty good in the bathroom mirror under relatively low lighting but the reality, in the cold light of day, is somewhat different. On the other hand, if you can keep the lighting consistent then yeah pics and mirrors can be a very useful gauge of progress.

Can't agree more! In some lighting conditions I think, &quot;Hey, I am bigger than Ronnie&quot;...while others I ask &quot;who is the skinny kid with a beer gut?&quot;

In the end the mirror IS the most important guide, but you must keep conditions constant.

Steve used to not be able to post on the net due to business reasons. Otherwise I could show you how he used to look - think of a bear -  
biggrin.gif

I just got a Photoshop CD the other day and now I don't think I can really trust anyone's photos on the web anymore! (well, except for most of you guys)
OTOH, I now have me a &quot;goal&quot; pic of myself for the wall:
NewGoal-1.jpg

...I GOTTA get me some test!

I've cut plenty of times in the past, twice from high bodyfat levels. In the first 3-4 weeks, you really can't tell that much, even with a mirror. You have to give it time.

Quad, that's a pretty good job. The photoshopped photo looks as real as the original

Wow, the photo shopped picture on the right does look pretty good. Nice goal setting technique!

You can trust my pictures on the web. It isn't like I photo shopped myself to be a lard ***!

Lol @ Colby!!! Good call.
I was amazed at how EASY it actually is to do using only the morph tool. As long as you don't go overboard, it looks acheivable and real. If you will notice, as JW said, lighting can really make things stand out. Look at the left (original) pic and picture that with direct lighting. It wouldn't be near as telling.
My open door policy stands. Any HST regular is wecome to come work out with me in my gym at my house with a small amount of planning (I do have a wife) - and any one of you should be available for a visit at YOUR gym at any time by any member.
If you can't do the stuff; don't make the fluff!

End of Week #3

Waist:  39&quot;
Weight: 277

Last day of HST cycle, now I begin one week off, where I won't do anything more difficult than mowing the lawn and wiping my butt.  Speaking of butts, I've had a bad case of diarrhea this past week.  Seems many GI doctors on the internet think that the most common undiagnosed case of diarrhea is malabsorption of fat (eating too much fat, body can't digest it).  I haven't calculated my fat intake, but it's probably close to 300 grams per day (unsaturated and saturated combined).  Might be even more.  I'll have to add it up. Maybe I'll stop drinking so much olive oil, see if that helps.  

Strength:  Awesome....lost a little bit of weight on the deadlift, but not nearly as much as when I've cut in the past.  No loss of strength in the incline bench, which is pretty surprising.  Squats....i'm losing the average amount I usually do, which is fine by me.  All the little stuff---pretty much the same.   This was my 2nd cyce of 5's, so had a much better idea of strength levels.

Energy: Diarrhea is taxing me a little, but other than that, it's all systems go
weight room, good....cardio--excellent

Diet has become very boring, which is not so bad.  I just think about food a lot less.  Getting difficult to maintain 3200 cals per day due to lack of hunger, but am doing it.

P.S Blood pressure has moved down to 105/60 heart rate--54bpm

stevejones, to digest fat, we need bile and bile is made partly of cholesterol. While there's little evidence that cholesterol intake affects blood cholesterol, I think it makes a difference for fat digestion. But I may be mistaken. Anyway, instead of olive oil, look for fats that contain more cholesterol and see if that makes a difference in digestion and perhaps help you with the runs.

Leaving early today because I&quot;m supposed to be in this memorial day parade thing.  

Completed 4 weeks on 0-5 grams carbs per day diet

Stats*
BP: 112/61  
Pulse: 50bpm
Waist: 38.5&quot;
Weight: 273.5

*Stats recorded first thing every Monday morning

I have just completed my SD period.  Haven't exercised in seven days.  Achilles tendinitis slightly better, left elbow feels good, no pain in right rotator cuff...so I&quot;m ready to start tearing up my body again.  Going to start another cycle of standard text book HST.  Going to try deadlifting twice per week this cycle...pretty aggressive...will probably have to adjust it to once per week later.  

My week off sucked.  I haven't been sick, but might as well have been.  I've been going to the toilet about 6 times per day with a bad case of diarrhea all week.  Martin suggested I stop taking my multivitamin/vitamin c supplements.  Seems like a wild goose chase, but I&quot;ll give it a try anyway.  I am making progress and do feel good on this diet, just wish my intestinal tract agreed with me.  

Want to be bored?  Read my workout this cycle:

8 week workout
15,10,5,5 reps
65%, 72%, 79%, 86%, 93%, 100%

Incline Bench press:  3 sets
Pullups:  3 &quot;&quot;
Diamond PUshups: 3
Deadlift:  3 (only on Monday, Friday)
Leg Press: 3 (only on Wednesday)
Tricep Pushdowns: 3
Barbell Curls: 3

Cardio:
60 minutes low intensity on workout days
32 minutes moderate inensity on off days

I'm glad the diet is working for you in many ways. Although, if you can't get control of your stomach I think you should abort the mission. It's not good to have the runs for that long and it is an indication that something isn't agreeing with you. Hope it works out though.

<div>
(soflsun @ May 26 2008,3:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">it is an indication that something isn't agreeing with you.</div>
Yeah, maybe you're being poisoned by those 5 grams of carbs...
wink.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ May 14 2008,7:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Steve used to not be able to post on the net due to business reasons. Otherwise I could show you how he used to look - think of a bear -
biggrin.gif

I just got a Photoshop CD the other day and now I don't think I can really trust anyone's photos on the web anymore! (well, except for most of you guys)
OTOH, I now have me a &quot;goal&quot; pic of myself for the wall:
NewGoal-1.jpg

...I GOTTA get me some test!</div>
Quad you're frigging huge on the left side too! Stop crying about losing muscle lol ;)

Steve: I'm doing a CKD alla UD2.0, but virtually no animal/sat fat. This got rid of my diarrhea entirely somehow. Now I have diarrhea when I carb up haha.

But when I was doing this anabolic diet style with 60% animal fat and a lot of saturated to boot, I was squirting every time I did bent over rows. Almost literally.

Good luck!

Back