Need a little help with my HST Routine

bosbik

Hi!..just new to this type of training...
could someone help me out.

I took this from EctoSquat's post. It's the sample routine he gave out

Squat
Bench Press
Stiff Legged Deadlift
Bent Over BB Rows
Seated Shoulder Press
EZ Bar Curls
Lying Tricep Extensions
Standing Calf Raise

Do I do these exercises in this order?
Do I do my sets up to failure?
I'd appreciate the comments... :D

I would do the deadlifts before the squats IMO, other than that you could do it in that order.

DON'T do the sets to failure - that's a big part of HST. Lift till a rep or two before failure, when you have that burn in your muscles.

-Colby

Thanks colby!
Another question, after the 8 weeks do I change the exercises for another cycle to hit other muscles like do incline bench presses instead of flat?

Bosbik

That sample is not too bad, a simple one yet effective.

The order IMO is legs/calves/chest/back/shoulders/biceps/triceps/abs

In HST you always stay shy of failure, and that you would only get close to at the last day of each rep scheme. :D

Please read this to get the full picture:

FAQ E-book

Thanks for all the inputs!!
Another question, after the 8 week routine, do I change the exercises like do incline bench presses instead of flat benches?

Here's the order I use, with the exercises I alternate between workouts:

Chest - dips, bench.. I put this first, because back exercises stretch it a bit much to do them first
Back - rows, chins

Legs - deads, squats.. I like to do the big upper body compounds when I'm freshest, so legs come next

Shoulders - military press, db press

Calves - alternating upper and lower body exercises works well for me

Bis, tris, abs - last because they're the least draining, and I don't want them to lessen performance on my compounds.

Now, your recent question...

The 8 week routine consists of 2 wk blocks:

15s
10s
5s
Negs/5RM

For the 15s, 10s, 5s, the last workout in each 2 week block should be the only one to hit/just miss failure.

For Negs/5RM block, you can find yourself hitting failure more often - at least I do. Because the volume is less, I don't find this hampers me as much as if I was hitting failure in the 10s and 15s every workout.

Exercise choices:

You can alternate exercises between workouts, or between HST cycles.

As you can see, I like to alternate between workouts. Variety is the spice of life yeh...? :)

If you were going to alternate between workouts, here's an example of what you could do:

Squats - alternate with leg press
Bench - alternate with dips, or incline bench
SL Deads - alternate with hamstring curls (leg curls on the machine)
BB Rows - alternate with wide grip chins/pull downs
Seated shoulder press - not as much variation. There's military or behind the neck with BB, or just DB press
EZ Bar curls - alternate with DB hammer curls
Lying Tricep extensions - alternate with overhead DB tricep extensions
Standing Calf raise - alternate with donkey raises or seated calf raises

At the risk of confusing you, I'll also say this; after you complete your first HST cycle, comeback to the message board and give your results - size and strength - and then if you're looking to further improve the workouts, ask about stretch point isolations.

Don't worry about this now, it's best to do the standard/sample/vanilla HST cycle the first time around, and see how it works for you :)

thanks for the input guys!...one last question, is it safe to say that I do my routine with 2 exercises for each major muscle group?

Not sure what you gain from being able to say that
tounge.gif
....but yeh, you're legs, chest, back and shoulders with more than one exercise.

thanks for the inputs!...

one more question, when I do the 1x15's, do I also do them to a point about 2 reps before failure?

Back