Need help on reps!! Please

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by Hunterworks, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Hunterworks

Hunterworks New Member

After posting this in the training log section I decided that was wrong section.

I guess I need someone to spell it out for me. I am confused about the following:

# of sets???
    Dropping the 15 reps after first cycle?

The way I thought this was to be done was 2 sets first week of each 15, 10,5 rep weeks and 1 set on the second week

Example

2x15, 1x15,2x10, 1x10,2x5, 1x5 for a complete six week cycle.

I simply can't find the definite answer spelled out on sets and reps.

Also reading you can drop the 15 rep two week cycle after the first cycle??? So you only do the 10's and 5's after first cycle?

I can say I do see a change in my body after just the first 6 week cycle.

To further my confusion is reading a single set is ok if it is maximum effort, how can you do maximum effort if you take your say 15 rep max and back it out six times, that first day would not be maximum effort cause it is way lighter and way easier.

I know I am asking alot but I do believe in this and simply want to do it right.

Thanks in advance

Todd

2. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

A lot of this is addressed in the FAQ. If you have time, I'd recommend going through that section thoroughly with a notepad and pen and take notes.

That being said, regarding your question... If you are a beginner or have low work tolerance, then do 1 set of 15s, 2 sets of 10s and 2-3 sets of 5s. If your joints and tendons don't bother you, you can skip the 15s. Especially if you are a beginner, you can extend your cycle by staying in the 5s and setting PRs week after week.

If you are advanced (big, and very strong) then you should probably up the volume to 2x15, 3x10 and 5x5, adjusting as necessary. Also stronger advanced lifters should not skip the 15s, as the heavier loads they use can cause joint problems and the 15s can be therapeutic as well as hypertrophic.

3. Hunterworks

Hunterworks New Member

I think I can live with 1, 2 and 2

I have no plans to be a bodybuilder persay, just some bigger. I'm 44 years old 6' and 225lbs.

Unless someone gives me a very good reason to do anything different, next cycle I will go 8 weeks, 15, 10,5 and 5

What had me thinking was I am on second cycle and went up some in weights and this time two sets of 15 was tough!!!!

I'll stick with the 15's as I am getting older and my joints need the reps

Does this sound like a good plan?

4. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

Yes, that sounds perfect. You should have great results with that.

5. Hunterworks

Hunterworks New Member

Thanks for the help, since I am just one week into second cycle I am going to go ahead and apply these new principles to my routine.

I suppose the most important part of this whole idea is changing the amount of weight each exercise so your muscles are getting a ever increases load so they can adapt and overcome.

For such a long time I did three sets of same weight times ten and rarely got to add weight, sure my body changed some but in just one cycle of HST I can see a difference.

I also find it much easier to stick to it when I take my workout on paper in a excel document. I like the structure of it, go by it strictly and will not miss a workout cause I have a system approach now.

Guess I am saying I really like HST!!!