Need help sleeping

That is a great idea Lol!!!!   I might give that a try!
biggrin.gif

So, no one has commented on using ZMA and GABA at the same time.....are there any potential prblems or can you use them both and get the benefits of both?

I used them both last night. 3g ZMA before workout in the afternoon, 3g before bed, with ZMA. Went to sleep at around 11. It's now 4:00 am and I can't sleep anymore; my old insomnia is on. I slept deeply for the most part, except getting up twice to pee. I may get another hour after surfing a bit, and changing my "channel".
I don't feel wasted or rested; just in between, a little edgy.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 31 2006,20:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, none of that fruitysmell elevatorfuneral music with affirmative brain foofoo  stuff is likely to make me check for holes in my eyelids, but my vote is ZMA still. 2 days on the GABA so far, nothing to report.

I'm not so tuff, I'm just gettin' Oooollllld!</div>
haha....

try it, it won't affect your manhood..haha..now if you start spending more time in the bathroom than your significant other...definitely stop.
biggrin.gif

I dunno,  I started out on a relaxation method that began with specific stretches, as you lay in bed, then slowly went to imagery, it worked like a charm.

Then after I finally got a handle on things, I was able to just use easy listening music, or crap I normally wouldn't opt to listen too..haha.

haha

I just ordered some Optimum Nutrition ZMA. I'll see how that works then maybe I'll try GABA after that.

It got better. I slept deep, dreamed the vivid magnesium dreams (sounds like a song, huh?) and only woke up twice to pee (a marked improvement). 7 hours this time.

There is another good way to get to sleep that works for me really well. Combined with the ZMA I sleep great. I dont mean to be lewd, but busting a nut just before trying to sleep is excellent for falling asleep quickly. Besides anecdotal, there have been studies to show that orgasms (for males anyway) produce hormones that promote sleep. Normally it takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to fall asleep, but with this technique I am out in less than 15min.

Oh yeah the ZMA dreams are fun
smile.gif
Sometimes they are so vivid that after you wake up it takes a moment or two to realize it was just a dream.

Give 5-htp a try ..............
And the dude that said we were junkies .
The next time you get a head ache just don't take anything .
In addition, try foods that Contain L-tryptophan and
L-tyrosine or just go buy you some . Many years back I used it and it made a big differance in my sleep .

Food combination and Mental Performance

&quot;Mental performance or relaxation can be controlled by choosing the right combination of foods. L-tyrosine and L-tryptophan are two amino acids which compete with one another to control brain functions. L-tyrosine is used by the brain to synthesize the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine, both of which are critical to clear, quick thinking; long-term memory; and feelings of alertness and stability. L-tryptophan is used by the brain to make the neurotransmitter serotonin, which is responsible for slowing down reaction time, imparting satiety after a meal and inducing sleep. L-tyrosine, found in protein-rich foods like meat, poultry, seafood, beans , tofu, and lentils, thus serves as a nutritional stimulant to the brain, whereas L-tryptophan, found in such foods as bananas, sunflowers seeds, and milk (and whose effects are augmented when consumed with carbohydrate-rich foods), slows mental functions.
If L-tyrosine reaches the brain before L-tryptophan, it will prime your brain to function at maximum performance levels all day (or all night, depending upon when you eat the meal or snack). But if L-tryptophan reaches the brain first, it will stimulate the production of serotonin, and your mental performance will ebb and your brain will begin to shut down, even in the middle of the day.

A program of mental fitness and control over your own levels of mental performance, memory, relaxation (and even depression) will facilitate the production of these amino acids and passage through the Blood Brain Barrier.&quot;

Sonny

Save a chicken !
Eat a cow !

Hey Dan !
WTF have you been up to lately?
Hope the sissy arms have got bigger  
laugh.gif

I keep my house (bedroom and baths only) heated at 18 degrees centigrade when we're home, but my skinny lil' wife (Chilly Willy's mother) went and bought an electric blanket last night, to add to our mountain of covers, sheets, quilts, blankets and assorted stuff.

With that sucker on LOWEST of 10 heat settings, I think I slept about 10% better! No fighting for covers, trying to shut air leaks off, or whatever else we do subconsciously when we sleep. It's just WARM everywhere!

<div>
(Sonny @ Nov. 06 2006,08:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Give 5-htp a try ..............
In addition, try foods that Contain L-tryptophan and
L-tyrosine or just go buy you some . Many years back I used it and it made a big differance in my sleep .

whereas L-tryptophan, found in such foods as bananas, sunflowers seeds, and milk (and whose effects are augmented when consumed with carbohydrate-rich foods), slows mental functions.</div>
If I recall correctly, turkey is the one meat that has it.
But I suppose that could be a myth due to the overeating on thanksgiving, pre-empting the football game and nap. I never got sleepy from a turkey sandwich.

What is 5-htp?
hey, I like your avatar.

Howdy quadancer

Yes ! You are right !
5-HTP is found in turkey ,cheese..ect..ect.

5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid. The body makes 5-HTP from tryptophan (an essential amino acid) and converts it to an important brain chemical known as serotonin. Tryptophan and 5-HTP dietary supplements help raise serotonin levels in the brain, which may have a positive effect on sleep, mood, anxiety, aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behavior, and pain sensation.

There has been some debate in recent years on the actual/true effect that 5-HTP has on depression, anxiety, panic disorder, sleep disorders and obesity.
But in my case it has done the trick for all the above!
smile.gif

Thanks for asking

Sonny

Save a Chicken !
Eat a Cow !

First dose of ZMA last night.

I took it and ended up having to take care of some stuff around the house that I had forgotten about and ended up staying up for 2 hours after I took it. So I wasn't able to go to bed 30-60 min. after taking it as recommended. I tossed and turned a little bit before I fell asleep and work up twice in the middle of the night to take a leak. Overall sleep was pretty much normal and I felt a little groggy after 6.5 hours of sleep. No crazy dreams.

We'll see how tonight goes.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Nov. 07 2006,06:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">DRINK MORE MILK!</div>
I wish I could! But I'm one of those lactose intolerant people.
sad.gif

So am I, but you can do yogurt.
It has been predigested
In addition, I use “Lactaid” which is low fat milk with the enzymes in it already.

Sonny

Save a Chicken!
Eat a Cow!

I have tried using the Lactaid pills when drinking skim milk and they didn't help much. I really wish they did though because shakes are much better with milk than water!

I didn’t seem to sleep any better last night. I went to bed about an hour after taking the ZMA and I tossed and turned for a good 45 min. to an hour before I fell asleep. But that is nothing out of the ordinary for me. I seemed to sleep pretty deep (maybe deeper than normal) but I'm still groggy after being up for a couple of hours.

I will probably continue to take the ZMA until they are gone whether they help me sleep or not simply because of the possible endogenous increase in Test production. I would love to find something that does actually increase endogenous Test levels. Over a year ago my blood tests showed I had low Test and my doctor put me on a Test compound cream. But I only used it for a few days before I decided to stop using it. The reason was that even though my doctor was willing to prescribe it for me I didn't feel he knew enough about what he was doing to properly help me in that area. Unfortunately there isn't anyone near me who knows squat about TRT or HRT in general. And I know that the low Test levels are affecting my overall wellbeing as well as my training. I figured my poor sleep was probably affecting my Test levels, which was what made me decide to try the ZMA.

Test creams are one of the methods used in TRT, but then you're being monitored as you go with some of the docs to watch your estradiol and test levels. An estrogen blocker is used when needed. What was your blood test count?

Yeah I know how it all works. I just didn't trust my doctor to keep everything in balance and figured I would end up in worse shape than I already am.

I'll have to dig up my lab results to see what they were for sure. But if I remember correctly my Bioavailable T level was at (I believe) 285 ng/dL which is extremely low for a 37 year old (36 at the time of the tests).

third night....still didn't sleep any better. Since I figured I would toss and turn for about an hour again I waited until right before I went to bed to take the ZMA. And I was right....I still tossed and turned for about an hour. I also had to get up 3 times to take a leak and my water intake was no different than any other night. Although I did fall back to sleep no problem when I went back to bed. And once again I was very groggy in the morning.

Maybe I need to take more.....or less than the recommended 3 caps?

Back