Need Suggestions for In-between Meals ("snacks")

CantBulk

One of the opinions I heard loud-and-clear from several of you is that my diet contains too many “processed” foods and that the carbs I eat are of too high a GI value. One of the challenges I’ve had in trying to modify my diet for muscle growth is splitting the day into six or more meals to account for the higher caloric intake. Breakfast, lunch and dinner aren’t too hard to figure out. However, I tend to slide to “convenience foods” like protein power bars, for the in-between meals.

Can anyone offer some better choices (less processed with low GI) for the mid-morning, workout time and before bed meals? The more convenient the better so I don’t have to take time at work to prepare more food.

(One other side question. Someone said to “lay off” pastas, but I noticed even some of the recipes on this forum use them. Is whole-wheat pasta any better or just stay away from it totally?)

there are limitless combinations when u think shakes. :D
with shakes you basically have the most control over what you want and don't want in it. my kinda snack

I like yogurt, or various nuts like almonds. Sometimes cottage cheese. Yogurt is a good one though, in my opinion. Decent protein content and decent calorie content.

well besides yoghurt there is what we call "blanc battu" or "quark" you might call it fresh cheese...more protein, less carbs...

the one i use is:

48kcal for 100g
9g protein
3g carbs
0.2g fat

one of my in-between-meals is:

250g fresh cheese or yoghurt with high protein content
20 almonds
1 banana you can even mix everything together and make a muesli...nice fats, protein and the vitamins from the fruit

make a sarnie with granary bread and chic breast and low fat cheese spread

one of my 9 meals a day is

2 x slices soya n linseed bread
100g off the bone ham
20g pickle..

you could hard boil eggs and take them with you

Old fashioned oats with protein powder mixed in
canned tuna/salmon (quick and easy)
Veggies
natural peanut butter or almond butter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (devient @ Mar. 14 2005)] make a sarnie with granary bread
Does this translate to "sandwich with multi-grain bread?"
I thought sandwiches were a good solution, especially pre-workout, but I've been told my diet is too high in processed foods. I took that to mean all breads, pastas, etc had to go.

Be careful when picking up bread. A lot of bread is called 'multi-grain' but if you check out the nutritional facts, they actually suck hard. Whole wheat bread is typically pretty good though.

thats what i said.... make a sarnie with granary bread
laugh.gif

watch out for some breads, as they only pretend to be multi grain...ie. brown bread with grit in them
butbut.gif

you want to go for a bread thats pretty low in carbs and high in fibre
IMO breads with a high carb content just tend to be packed full of (processed) starch..
starch is just a fancy way of saying binded sugar molecules ( i think i read that somewhere)
per slice the bread i use ..
cals 110
pro 4.4
carbs 11.
fat 4.3......this is from the linseed so it good fat
fibre 3.5
salt 0.012

Whats the deal with drinking lots of milk (or milk-based) drinks (other than watching fat content).
There's a 1000kcal litre choc milk drink in the store near me. I have one alteast twice a week (cos it tastes nice)
laugh.gif

Back