new equipment technology

Discussion in 'Commercial Equipment' started by Bryan Haycock, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Bryan Haycock

Bryan Haycock Administrator Staff Member

This is ideal for inducing growth. If you ever get a chance to use this equipment, please report back to us.

http://www.yoyotechnology.com/

"YoYo Technology AB (Inc.) has developed a revolutionary patented strength training system using flywheel(s) - which replaces weight plates and other resistance training devices relying on gravity. YoYo's resistance is provided by spinning flywheels, very much like a child's yoyo, hence the name "YoYo", with the strap being wound and unwound around the axle of a fixed flywheel. A concentric (positive) muscle action overcomes the inertia of the flywheel setting it spinning on low friction bearings, while a subsequent eccentric (negative) muscle action is used to overcome the inertial force of the spinning flywheel."

-bryan

2. dkm1987

dkm1987 New Member

3. Ruthenian

Ruthenian New Member

I'm not really interested in a machine right now, but I can't help but be a little curious about this stuff.  I see nothing in the Spiraflex (system behind Bowflex Revolution) information pertaining to eccentrics and the minimal descriptions provided indicate it uses elastic polymers, not a flywheel.  However, I couldn't find much detail during a quick internet search.

Might be worth a visit to a local retailer this weekend to just try it out.

4. need2eat

need2eat New Member

Interesting.

5. dkm1987

dkm1987 New Member

<div>
    (Ruthenian @ Jan. 08 2007,15:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm not really interested in a machine right now, but I can't help but be a little curious about this stuff.  I see nothing in the Spiraflex (system behind Bowflex Revolution) information pertaining to eccentrics and the minimal descriptions provided indicate it uses elastic polymers, not a flywheel.  However, I couldn't find much detail during a quick internet search.

Might be worth a visit to a local retailer this weekend to just try it out.</div>
    Wasn't sure. I'm very familar with Tesch's work and his ergometer and knew the Yo-Yo system that Bryan pointed out was based on it but wasn't sure about the Boxflex and didn't take a lot of time investigating it. Good to know [​IMG]

6. Peak_Power

Peak_Power New Member

7. quadancer

quadancer New Member

I've done hydraulic resistance machines, rubber band junk, soloflex, and air resistance.
    AIN'T NUTHIN' FEELS LIKE STEEL!!!
    YOU GOTTA CLANK WHEN YA CRANK!!!

AAAAARRRGHHH! think I'll go eat somethin'...

8. scientific muscle

scientific muscle New Member

LOL quad! I agree! [​IMG]

Well, the technical way to say it would be &quot;Nothing beats Gravity!&quot; since free-weights are nothing but basic tools for us to resist gravity with our muscles.....just what they were designed to do!

9. Ruthenian

Ruthenian New Member

Dudes! I'm with you.  However, natural curiosity does occassionally compel me to try and see how this sort of thing works.  

Besides all the arguments about natural plain of motion, etc., my beef with machines is that they are not standardized -- if you go out of town to another gym, who knows how the weight on that contraption compares to the one you have been using.  However, as long as gravity keeps working, 150 lbs of weight is always 150 lbs of weight -- at least on this planet   [​IMG].

10. stevejones

stevejones Member

lol, I'm with Quad

I've got to see or read about other guys who are at least as big as I am using it before I'll try it.   That's the only reason I'm finally getting an incline hammer strength machine.  Read too many good things about them

11. quadancer

quadancer New Member

The idea reminds me of that toy we used to make when we were little kids...you'd take a disc and put a couple small holes in the center, put a loop of string thru them and wind it up...and you'd pull the loop ends with the disc in the middle and it would spin one direction, then the other. Has to be something like that principle, only you'd resist it spinning once past the &quot;center&quot; point.

I can't imagine how that thing amused us for very long...

12. Bryan Haycock

Bryan Haycock Administrator Staff Member

Bowflex is using a spring mechanism. The yo-yo uses inertia and momentum of a heavy &quot;iron&quot; flywheel. The resistance is very different as is the speed of movement curve.

13. Joe.Muscle

Joe.Muscle Active Member

<div>
    (stevejones @ Jan. 08 2007,22:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">  That's the only reason I'm finally getting an incline hammer strength machine.  Read too many good things about them</div>
    You are going to love the machine.

Its great for increasing the load and being safe.

Which is why I love it!

Bryan is a big fan of hammerstrength I believe.

14. stevejones

stevejones Member

<div>
    (Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 28 2007,14:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
    (stevejones @ Jan. 08 2007,22:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">  That's the only reason I'm finally getting an incline hammer strength machine.  Read too many good things about them</div>
    You are going to love the machine.

Its great for increasing the load and being safe.

Which is why I love it!

Bryan is a big fan of hammerstrength I believe.</div>
    Already have it, and you're right, I love it. I'm a &quot;front delt pusher&quot; when it comes to presses, and I have to work extra hard to stick my chest out and focus so my pecs do the work. I've always been very partial to free weights, but it's much easier to stick those pecs out on this machine than a regular incline bench.

15. Fausto

Fausto HST Expert

Interesting principle, sounds like it could work.

However, I'd still be rather skeptical and I am sure it willnot be cheaply available either.

I'll stick with Peak here, give the pile of iron on the [​IMG] floor anyday!

16. quadancer

quadancer New Member

17. stevejones

stevejones Member

18. CDB

CDB New Member

I feel the same way. And not without reason, so much of training is psychological. I just love my weights, and the sound they make when I'm loading and unloading the bar. The sight they make when I'm putting up a good amount, etc.