New routine for holidays

Fausto

HST Expert
Hey guys

Here's my take, during the holidays I am planning to hit the weight room twice a day. It is a matter of discipline as it is right outside my kitchen door so...I was thinking.

I am intending to do 2x/day, 3x/week so as not to burn the crap out of meself
tounge.gif

The thing is, what do I do
rock.gif
Upper body/Lower body split or push/pull, which one do you guys thing will do the best for one's efforts?

I am incline to thing Upper/Lower so as to hit things nicely.

Exercises:

Legs - squat + leg extension alt. deadlift + leg curl
Chest - Dips + Peckdeck/bench + Flys
Back - Chins/Pendlay + Low cable rows
Shoulders - Military press/Lat. raises + Bent over raises
Biceps - Incline D/B curls/Scott curls
Triceps - French curls/Pushdowns

One other thing, for some exercises I quite enjoy pyramid training till the burn is intense, just to get vascularity and an immense pump, any "contras"
biggrin.gif

Fausto,

I did 2x/day 3x/week (plus iso's on TR adopting your idea), but I didn't do a push/pull or upper/lower body split. Instead, I mirrored my AM and PM workouts like this:

AM
Deadlifts
Dips
Chins
Military press
Incline DB Curls
Calf Raises
Hyperextensions

PM
Squats
Bench Press
Lat Pulldowns
Shoulder Press
Calf Raises
Pulley Crunches

I remember hearing something about Squats & Deadlifts being bad for you when done in the morning. If there is something to that, then maybe try a lower (AM) upper (PM) split keeping it simple. Use isolations only for specialization - see incline DB curls and DON'T forget your calfs or abs (core strength)!

why not work the larger muscles in the AM when you have more energy and the smaller muscles in the PM.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

My vote:

Its only 3 weeks...so have some fun and get away from standard HST style.

My vote is:

Day 1

AM Workout

A1 Back Squat (narrow stance)
A2 Bentover Rows or Seated Cable Rows (palms down grip)
B1 DB Military Press
B2 Lunges
C1 Standing Calf Raises (feet straight ahead)
C2 Incline Bench Press (narrow grip)
Sets: 4
Reps: 6
Rest: 60s between pairings
Load: 8RM

PM Workout

A1 Back Squat (wide stance)
A2 Bentover Rows or Seated Cable Rows (palms up grip)
B1 BB Military Press
B2 Split Squats
C1 Standing Calf Raises (feet angled out)
C2 Incline Bench Press (wide grip)
Sets: 3
Reps: 12
Rest: 75s between each pairing
Load: 14RM

Day 2

A1 Deadlifts (narrow stance)
A2 Dips or Decline DB Bench Press (palms facing each other)
B1 Chin-ups or Pulldowns (palms up grip)
B2 DB Triceps Extensions
C1 Seated Calf Raise or Donkey Calf Raise (feet angled out)
C2 Reverse Crunch
Sets: 5

Day 3

Off from weight training. No more than 20 minutes of medium intensity cardio (if desired).

Day 4

A1 Front Squat or BB Hack Squat
A2 Upright Rows
B1 DB Side Raise
B2 Leg Curls
C1 Bench Press
C2 Barbell Curls
Rest: 70s between each pairing

Day 5

AM Workout

A1 Deadlifts (narrow stance)
A2 Dips or Decline DB Bench Press (palms facing each other)
B1 Chin-ups or Pulldowns (palms up grip)
B2 DB Triceps Extensions
C1 Seated Calf Raise or Donkey Calf Raise (feet angled out)
C2 Reverse Crunch

PM Workout

A1 Deadlifts (sumo stance)
A2 DB Bench Press
B1 Pull-ups or Pulldowns (palms down grip)
B2 BB Skull Crushers
C1 Seated Calf Raise or Donkey Calf Raise (feet straight ahead)
C2 Swiss Ball Crunches
Sets: 3
Rest: 75s between pairings

Have some fun then get back to basics!

I see you Joe, may try this out, But I really wanted to simplify things a bit...remember it is holidays...to keep going...takes a special kinda mindset...which I possess.

But I'll adopt your idea with some mods...wont do it as complete as that...thanks mate, appreciate the effort!
wink.gif

Colby - same as above, I really want something rather simple to start the day, but yet effective.

Anyone else?
rock.gif

What about every other day? I'm feeling french today.

Day 1

le mil press
le squat
le dips
le tris?

Day 2

le row
le chin
le bis?

There is a une rationale behind this, its based le conv dans le max-stim where grandpere Dan suggested that maybe loading the muscle more frequently than every 48 hours is detrimental. So you'd be able to put a lot of energy into the big lifts while training at optimum frequency
cool.gif

lol so maybe your french is better that mine.

It is deliberate that the programme doesnt include deadlifts on day 2, as this would be loading the legs every 24 but you could certainly swap deads with squats.
biggrin.gif

style dont know about that.
grandpere Dan suggested that maybe loading the muscle more frequently than every 48 hours is detrimental

i have been doing fullbody every day 6x for 4wks now and i have been on a slight calorie defecit.
i have lost weight around my waist but gained 3lbs
rock.gif

its an A<B<C routine
2 chest exercises2 back 1 shoulder 2 legs 1 bis 1 tris each workout
mostly compound with some machine type compounds.

style i am not dissaggreing with dan,i also thought that seing as protein synthesis lasts for 48hrs what would be the point of doing another session inbetween.
plus i have only been doing it for 4wks i am planing on a 11wk or 12wk cycle.
i just cant understand how i have gained and i am only on my 2nd wk of 10s.

i think there is a lot more to muscle growth than we actually think we know.

or maybe some people are more suited to training often and some to training less often
rock.gif

<div>
(faz @ Dec. 15 2006,10:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">or maybe some people are more suited to training often and some to training less often
rock.gif
</div>
I believe this is the key here. And everyone needs to find out what works best for them.

Buy I think most people here already know that.
smile.gif

Well...I persoanlly don't think training full body everyday is a good option for muscle growth.

However I think its a great option for cutting, if the volume is low.

I like this idea b/c I hate cardio.

As a matter fact, if I had plenty of time and I don't but if I did, my cutting cycle this summer would be a 6 day upper lower split with upperbody three days and lower body and abs three days.

I think it would be fun and would lean you down, without having to do cardio at all.

joe i am actually doing cardio aswell
biggrin.gif

leg-press
b-o-row
dips
pulldowns
incline-bench
rear-laterals
curls
tri-presses
cardio 20mins
this would be A)routine.
alltogether 1hr maybe 1hr 10mins
as i pointed out before i have gained weight and i am eating less than i was doing on a 3 day a wk routine.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Dec. 15 2006,11:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As a matter fact, if I had plenty of time and I don't but if I did, my cutting cycle this summer would be a 6 day upper lower split with upperbody three days and lower body and abs three days.</div>
Joe, I have done that in the past and had great results.  And like faz I put on some LBM as well.  That type of schedule is just too time consuming for me now otherwise I would still use that type of schedule.

I have also had great results working out 4 days per week utilizing some different rep ranges.  Working the whole body with higher reps (8-15) on Monday &amp; Tuesday, and then working the lower body on Thrusday and Upper body on Friday.  The Thursday &amp; Friday workouts were using my 8-10 rep max weight doing culsters of 4 reps with 10 seconds rest between culsters for a total of 6 clusters.  Then rest about one min. and repeat 3 more times for a total of 4 culster sets. This is brutal but very effective.

[edited for typos]

Bulldog,

I believe Michael Novak most successful HST routine was an upper / lower 6 day split with high volume.

Last summer for my cut I did a 4 day a week full body that looked like this: Mon, Wed, Sat , Sunday and I did 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps with Bench, Rows, leg press and shoulder press. I had good results, but I cut too much and stay lean in the stomach but flat all over. I guess that was lack of enough carbs???

This summer I think I am going to do 4 day split to cut.

But its going to be Upper / lower

So it will be 5 sets of 10 reps bench and rows with 3 sets of shoulder presses for upper

and 6 sets of leg press with light weight 2 minute Tabata at the end followed by ab work?

Maybe I wont overtrain?

''or maybe some people are more suited to training often and some to training less often ''

Yeh definitely I think each to his own to a certain extent, I'm working each muscle group every 3 days and its going well. Great results btw, 3 pounds while cutting on an experienced trainee like yourself is awesome.

''Well...I persoanlly don't think training full body everyday is a good option for muscle growth.''

I agree that its not optimum, but faz begs to differ
biggrin.gif
For me personally, the ideal would be working out every day, but working each muscle group every 48.

--------------

Back