Olympia 2006

Ronnie looks as impressive as usual. Some of the other guys need to learn how to drop water properly, some of them have blurry abs and a wet look in the back.

I can't believe Jay took it. He wasn't looking that dry this year, especially in the back.

Funny that, Tot. I didn't know Jay had won at the time and I was thinking how good Jay's back looked compared to Ronnie's! Ronnie has tons of mass but he looked smoother to me. However, Ronnie's legs are in a class of their own. He has so much mass there. They are all freaking awesome though.

I thought it was quite clever of Ronnie to hedge his bets and try to take the Ms. Olympia at the same time.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 01 2006,09:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ronnie looks as impressive as usual.  Some of the other guys need to learn how to drop water properly, some of them have blurry abs and a wet look in the back.

I can't believe Jay took it.  He wasn't looking that dry this year, especially in the back.</div>
I didn't see the O this year, but going by some of those prejudging pics he looked my more dry than he was in previous years. In the past you could see a smooth layer running down his back, especially in his glutes and hamstrings. This year he seemed dialed in, better than last year I think. I heard it was a two day event this year and some of the guys puffed up a bit on day two, so some pics might be misleading depending on when they were taken. From the prejudging pics though I think he deserved the win this year over Coleman. I think he deserved it last year too, but just by a hair. This year it seems clearer. If you check some of the back pics it seems to me at least Ronnie is holding more water. Cutler had him on the front too, check out their respective front lat and ab/thigh poses. I think Cutler had Coleman hands down on those.

Cutler is impressive, from the front or the back he is huge, but what really impressed me is how thick he is from the side!
wow.gif
Back, chest, arms, legs everything is extremely thick and I can see how he won mainly judging from how he compares from that angle. They all look like circus-freaks to me though..(alright maybe I am a little jealous!)
biggrin.gif

Omg Ronnie's winning streak's over! Oh well he had a good run. Is it just the photos or did Cutler go nuts on the fake tan?

After seeing some shots of the two next to each other here:

http://mr-olympia-2006.ronnie.cz/callouts/

It becomes clear why Jay toppled Ronnie. Jay looks better all around. Look at his delts! They are huge. Especially in the back double bi shot, his delts dwarf Ronnie's. Also, Jay's gut doesn't stick way out like Ronnie's.

I really hate the look of Ronnie's abs. The way they split in the middle... maybe it's just me, but I really don't like abs that do that.

Jay kills Ronnie in the Most Muscular, his traps just pop out, and shows off his superior delts too.

The other poses though you can see he's smaller in almost every area than Ron, and his right bicep is smaller than the left in the Front dbl biceps. Jay's lats look bigger than Ronnie's though.

But posing technique plays such a big part of judging, and apparently Jay posed better, Ron came out too arrogant and too smooth. Ron's definately bigger and more vascular though.

Ron and Jay have quite different looks to thier backs from their traps right down to their spinal erectors. Apart from being in better shape this year, Jay definitely looks wider.

Re Tot's comment about abs: Couldn't agree more. I remember when Rich Gaspari first appeared on the scene around 20 years ago. He had amazing symmetry and fantastic abs. I miss that look. Purely genetics of course. He came second to Lee Haney for several years but, sadly, he was never able to grow any taller which would have helped him look a little less blocky! Height definitely adds a little something. Also, his left arm was never as developed as his right, similar to Jay's but in reverse.

OMG! Jay's back is insane! Reminds me of the great Dorian Yates' back, just thick and massive, but with great definition...totally monstrous and the gigantic delts really get displayed along with back in the rear double-biceps pose.

Jay's best poses to show why he won in my opinion...rear double-biceps, and side triceps pose. The side-triceps pose was what I was talking about before about how Jay has the thickest build, from the side he looks like a comic-book monster more than a human! If I ever achieve even half of that thick look Cutler has from the side I will be satisfied.
wow.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 03 2006,00:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If I ever achieve even half of that thick look Cutler has from the side I will be satisfied.</div>
And if you achieve more than half of it you'll look like a freak
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Oct. 03 2006,00:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 03 2006,00:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If I ever achieve even half of that thick look Cutler has from the side I will be satisfied.</div>
And if you achieve more than half of it you'll look like a freak  
biggrin.gif
</div>
That is why I said I would be satisfied with half of his mass/look!
laugh.gif

Even then people will think I am huge, but at Jay's level it looks inhuman, still admirable though.
cool.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 03 2006,00:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That is why I said I would be satisfied with half of his mass/look!  
laugh.gif

Even then people will think I am huge, but at Jay's level it looks inhuman, still admirable though.
cool.gif
</div>
He does look more than a little monstrous in that pose. Pretty damn incredible what you can accomplish if you put your mind to it and don't mind needles.

I think the most telling 'pose' was the pic of ronnie relaxed after jay was announced the winner, granted he was upset, but everything (especally his pec's) seem to droop..... or is it just me??
2006olympia_mf421.jpg

Dexter Jackson has the best symmetry of them all imo. His arms are amazing, reminds me of Kevin Levrone. Looking at him next too Cutler, you can see Cutler has everyone in the lats department, and his quads looked pretty unbeatable, but Jackson has the best-looking physique overall. Then again I also thought Levrone and Wheeler had the best-looking physiques back when Yates was dominating. It just goes to show that more than anything else, pure, ripped mass wins today's bodybuilding contests more than shape, symmetry or aesthetics. It is all subjective anyway: different judges=different winners.

I think Victor Martinez had the best phsique, and the fact that the only 2 people who beat him are the two monsters shows you that I think pro BBing is starting to hard in a new direction, at least I hope it does. Imo Martinez's and Jackson's physique is the type of look that should win Mr. O: big, but proporional to bodyparts that can't be hypertrophied, like your head!

Oh, use that callout page tot posted, and you'll see why Martinez gets my vote over Jackson for best physique, and why he came 3rd...

http://mr-olympia-2006.ronnie.cz/callouts/

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Oct. 05 2006,18:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think Victor Martinez had the best phsique, and the fact that the only 2 people who beat him are the two monsters shows you that I think pro BBing is starting to hard in a new direction, at least I hope it does. Imo Martinez's and Jackson's physique is the type of look that should win Mr. O: big, but proporional to bodyparts that can't be hypertrophied, like your head!

Oh, use that callout page tot posted, and you'll see why Martinez gets my vote over Jackson for best physique, and why he came 3rd...

http://mr-olympia-2006.ronnie.cz/callouts/</div>
It is all subjective Peak...I compared jackson and martinez and I still like jackson better. But if I were the judge and symmetry and proportion were more important than mass, I would have Jackson #1 and martinez #2.

I think D. Jackson always looks fantastic. Martinez looked great as well. Personally though, I forgive a little shape for shear size. But that's just me. Big guts don't even bother me too much. ;)

And another thing looking at the big picture of Ronnie above, look at his traps! not even flexed and they look like they are bolted on.

Thats just weird.

Back