On Bended Knee

colby2152

How do you guys deal with knee pain if you have it.

I have corrected form on squats and deads. I take fish oil. I stretch properly. I still have discomfort in my right knee. The recent bout came up this morning, but I didn't even work out last night! It is easy for people to blame the exercise, but I don't think that is my problem as deads and squats help my knees and lower back pain.

Usually when my knees hurt I take some advil and put some ice. If that doesn't help I drop the weight on squats and deadlifts. If that still doesn't do the trick I stop them for a while until the inflammation goes away.

<div>
(electric @ Jul. 02 2008,12:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Usually when my knees hurt I take some advil and put some ice. If that doesn't help I drop the weight on squats and deadlifts. If that still doesn't do the trick I stop them for a while until the inflammation goes away.</div>
Maybe it's the hack squats. The constraint of the barbell forcing me to stop parallel is awkward. It's worth a shot, but, as I said, I do not feel lifting is to blame.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 02 2008,1:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maybe it's the hack squats.  The constraint of the barbell forcing me to stop parallel is awkward.  It's worth a shot, but, as I said, I do not feel lifting is to blame.</div>
Even if the lift is not to blame for it to begin with, if the tendons are inflamed the work made on the lift is not helping them get better.

<div>
(electric @ Jul. 02 2008,12:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 02 2008,1:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maybe it's the hack squats. The constraint of the barbell forcing me to stop parallel is awkward. It's worth a shot, but, as I said, I do not feel lifting is to blame.</div>
Even if the lift is not to blame for it to begin with, if the tendons are inflamed the work made on the lift is not helping them get better.</div>
Good point. I really do not want to stop dead lifting as I have been an ace on form as of late.

I've found Aspercreme to help quite a bit. Seems to help most joints for me (the ones that are getting old!!!)

Any knee pain I get is usually from a tight IT band, so stretching works for me. I have had muscle soreness close to the knee joint and maybe some minor tendonitis, but it tends to go away pretty quickly.

This is what I do:
Stretch after last exercise
Ice after workout
stretch all muscles surrounding the joint everyday at least once a day
massage joint everday at least once a day
After initial bout of inflammation has subsided, keep warm with a wrap all day and night.
50-60% 1RM rippetoe style squats to lactic acid threshold (specific to the knee joint)

If that doesnt reduce or make it go away I reduce total volume using the knee. If it persists then it just maybe time for a nice SD.

Sometimes new exercises can put unusual stress on the body forcing a small break for the body to catch up and adapt (ie squats -&gt; knees or power cleans -&gt; elbows/shoulders). Usually it only takes one break after which there will be no more problems. Cant imagine its a new exercise for you though.

I am merely curious... why hack squats?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am merely curious... why hack squats? </div>

No rack (right now).. I tried Front and Jefferson squats, but neither appealed to me and caused discomfort. It may be the movement I am locked into. I think holding off until the rack comes in. At that point I will then do back squats.

BGates, you have some good tips. I like the stretching and massaging, the latter I never tried. What is a Rippletoe style squat? Is that the Back Squat he preaches about in Starting Strength?

Yes the Rippetoe style is what he recommends in his starting strength book. The reason I mention those specifically is because they work the hamstrings along with the quads, glutes, adductors, and abductors as a primary mover. It a quick way to get lactic acid build up in all the muscles in the thigh.

50-60% of your backsquat should be easily cleanable and jerkable so that you can get it on your back.

Also I think you said you were getting into the oly lifts. If that is true then you have to work on your front squat. The bottom position is the position in which you rack the bar on the clean. The upright torso position is similar to the overhead squat that is necessary for the snatch too. Often times the &quot;knees forward&quot; position is hard on the patellar tendons of people new to the movement. Its just something you pretty much have to make sore then take a small break then get right back into it to toughen them up.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also I think you said you were getting into the oly lifts. If that is true then you have to work on your front squat. The bottom position is the position in which you rack the bar on the clean. The upright torso position is similar to the overhead squat that is necessary for the snatch too. Often times the &quot;knees forward&quot; position is hard on the patellar tendons of people new to the movement. Its just something you pretty much have to make sore then take a small break then get right back into it to toughen them up. </div>

Thanks bgates. Yeah, I won't progress to the Olympic lifts until I become very efficient with the main lifts such as the Back Squat.

Well, I think my knee issues were with my deadlift form. I wasn't driving my hips up as I pulled the bar for the part of the rep where the barbell is below my knee. Basically, I didn't drive my hips up until the bar passed my knee. This caused a lot of force to stop at my knees at the beginning of the movement giving me discomfort. I have fixed this so only some time will tell!

My leg exercises are on, at least, a 5 week SD. I will be evaluating my knee pain along with my deadlift form during this time.

Advil, fish oil and cold/hot treatment. Good luck with the recovery.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 02 2008,3:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How do you guys deal with knee pain if you have it.  

I have corrected form on squats and deads.  I take fish oil.  I stretch properly.  I still have discomfort in my right knee.  The recent bout came up this morning, but I didn't even work out last night!  It is easy for people to blame the exercise, but I don't think that is my problem as deads and squats help my knees and lower back pain.</div>
if you didnt workout and still had sore knees,it could be cartlidge/ligament trouble go see your doc,its just wear and tear trouble but if its cartlidge it needs cleaning out ligament is worse,both need ops on them.

<div>
(faz @ Jul. 31 2008,3:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 02 2008,3:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How do you guys deal with knee pain if you have it.  

I have corrected form on squats and deads.  I take fish oil.  I stretch properly.  I still have discomfort in my right knee.  The recent bout came up this morning, but I didn't even work out last night!  It is easy for people to blame the exercise, but I don't think that is my problem as deads and squats help my knees and lower back pain.</div>
if you didnt workout and still had sore knees,it could be cartlidge/ligament trouble go see your doc,its just wear and tear trouble but if its cartlidge it needs cleaning out ligament is worse,both need ops on them.</div>
My knees feel much better today, and I ran yesterday. I think I may have tweaked something, and that may have possibly happened from my incorrect deadlift form weeks ago. The pain has been lingering on and off, and it got aggravated yesterday when I was in my office trying out the deadlift stance and movement. I'll see how this 5 week SD goes. I do not expect there to be major issues here, but I'm wise enough to check my ego at the door and put off the heavy leg lifting.

Back