One arm bigger than the other

Bren86

Hi my right arm is slightly bigger than my left. From my forarm to around the bicep/tricep area. I have always trained both arms so I just wonder why ones got slightly bigger. Same with my pectoral aswell. I'm sure my right is bigger than my left. I dunno I may just be getting paranoid.

I have the same problem regarding arms. My right is almost 3/4's of an inch larger than my left. It's a bit discouraging, but there isn't a whole lot you can do. I blame it on genetics. I've tried a cycle where I only did direct arm work for my left arm and it made no difference at all.
I have noticed, however, that as my arms grow larger, the disparity between my arms is growing smaller. There was a time when they were a full inch different from each other, so maybe that will happen for you as well.

You could try doing direct arm work only on your left arm. It might work for you. Try doing negatives on curls only for the left maybe?

I believe this can be corrected over time by using d/bells, other opinions I have heard was using your under grown hand or arm to do everything you normally do with your normal hand, brush teeth/open taps, pick up things etc.

On theother hand IMO, there is no one truly symmetrical, everyone always has one arm slightly bigger than the other, but as Tot says this difference reduces as you get bigger, I had the very same problem, a noticeable difference but that too is getting reduced.

One other thing you may notice, even the shape of the biceps are different, I can confirm that.

At the end of the day Bren, do not worry too much, and just follow the HST as closely as you can, that will soon correct itself.
thumbs-up.gif

Cheers for your replies guys. I'll try not let it bother me. I was thinking of just doing a direct arm routine but for both arms and using hst principals but I'll wait till I put afeiw more lb's on first overall on my body.

I have some dumbells at home. I was thinking of doing another 2 or 3 sets in the evenings for my biceps on gym days to help them grow. Or will it not help them grow. I know ones bigger than the other anyway but I wouldnt mind them both alittle bit bigger as I do have access to dumbells at home. I'll do it like I do at the gym like finding my rep maxes etc with my dumbles.

Heavy weighted underhand close grip chins = bigger arms

Leave arm work for the last two weeks, then do incline bench dumbell curls, and one set of skullcrushers for the arms. This is extra as an additional type of "walking stick" to your already heavy routine.

Funny thing: my right arm is bigger than my left arm, but my left arm looks bigger than my right arm because the shape of the biceps muscle is different when my arm is flexed (just as Fausto observed). I am hoping that as my right arm grows, it will have more of a peak and look more like my left arm.

Of course, it may be that my right arm is bigger due to larger triceps on that arm and may be nothing to do with my biceps at all.
rock.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Feb. 17 2006,00:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Heavy weighted underhand close grip chins = bigger arms

Leave arm work for the last two weeks, then do incline bench dumbell curls, and one set of skullcrushers for the arms. This is extra as an additional type of &quot;walking stick&quot; to your already heavy routine.</div>
What advice is this F? First off, as posted in a thread about chins, close grip underhand chins were suggested to do to eliminate arms from the exersise!
And waiting until the last two weeks to do arms? Are you nuts? What's supposed to happen to them in the meantime? I'd say they'd follow the route of your jewels in a cold swimming pool!

That's funny - underhanded chins eliminate arms? Doesn't make much sense considering it puts more emphasis on your biceps during the movement. That's why you can move more load in this instance, because the arms are in a more favorable position. If anything, wide grip, overhanded chins are the movement that would eliminate arms (and also limit the load you can use substantially) Or have you never tried doing them either that way?

If you are doing the right compounds, you won't need very much arm work at all for them to grow. For instance, chins, as already mentioned, hit the arms well, as do deadlifts, bench, bentover rows and military press, unless you are doing some weird version of each lift where you use legs somehow instead of arms to push and pull the weight bar.
In fact, I am of the opinion that you don't need to do direct arm work at all, except if you want to focus on arms during a cycle. The only arm work I do is as metabolic work during the 5s and post-5s.
But I don't have 21 inch arms, so what do I know?

I must have been half asleep when I posted that. But I still believe that my arms went from 13 somethings to 16-1/2&quot; by arm-specific movements rather than the companion type exersizes such as rows, etc. I have mostly triceps well developed since I have no pain doing them, but biceps are lagging due to &quot;golfers elbows&quot; (medial epicondilitis) so I can't work them as hard...but guess what??? HST is helping them HEAL!!!! I feel better than in a long time, so there's hope for those 17-1/2's...
And after reading the posts in here on lat development, I'm adding in narrow grip supinated chins as my MAIN movement...with added weights of course. I can eat a little humble pie now and then.

I really believe that of course all kind of chins or pull ups have to stress the biceps... if we analyze the joints involved in W&amp;N chin ups or pull ups both the elbow and the shoulder joints are into action, and if we go to a muscle anatomy book the only way that can happen is by the biceps and back muscles (and perhaps some chest too) contracting.... hmmm... I need to check out if the forearm muscle originates in the upper arm bone side of the elbow (I don't remember now), if so then it is also involved..... well, I think Dr. Pierre is the best to tell us about it.... but I really feel it everywhere, even in my eyelids,
biggrin.gif

I found that one of my arms is bigger that the other because my spine is slightly curved to one side. That happened back in the day when I was trying to do heavy squats. Since the spine is crooked, one side of the body has to compensate more for summetry sake. If you ever had any minor back problems, this might help explain it. Or perhaps you might never knwo your spine is curved to one side or the other if you are pretty limber and have good flexibility. For me when I started stretching, my back pain went away but my left arm is still bigger

Well, the squats, deads and other back exersizes will help you &quot;get&quot; straight. It's important to build up weak musculature caused by favoritism of the body.
Once arms grow, people will say &quot;wish I had your arms&quot;.
They don't say &quot;wish I had your arm.&quot;
wink.gif

Apply HST principles to your arms as well as everything else.  Never neglect the major compound movements, but also DO NOT neglect direct arm work if you want bigger arms.  They should always be done at the end of a workout so if you get tired out, the majors will still have been completed...IMO.  I think you will tend to find that guys with lagging arms rely only on compounds for their arm growth.  Conversely, guys who only concentrate on arms are still weak and small regardless of endless curls...The right combination is necessary for the arm to be worked properly.  My arms are approaching 17&quot; flexed cold at about 190 lbs applying these principles, which is big for me.

I don't think you should ever focus on only 1 arm.  Remember, you are trying to build size and strength.  This could cause an imbalance even if one arm is presently bigger.  DB work is the best alternative to help a lagging side catch up.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have noticed, however, that as my arms grow larger, the disparity between my arms is growing smaller. There was a time when they were a full inch different from each other, so maybe that will happen for you as well.</div>

Percentages lower despite the difference being the same.

<div>
(Bren86 @ Feb. 15 2006,6:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hi my right arm is slightly bigger than my left. From my forarm to around the bicep/tricep area. I have always trained both arms so I just wonder why ones got slightly bigger. Same with my pectoral aswell. I'm sure my right is bigger than my left.</div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Funny thing: my right arm is bigger than my left arm</div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have the same problem regarding arms.  My right is almost 3/4's of an inch larger than my left. </div>

You might try masturbating with your other hand...
laugh.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ May 15 2008,10:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You might try masturbating with your other hand...
laugh.gif
</div>
Do you want him to go blind!!!!!

Back