One last step: diet. NEED HELP!

namemattersnot

Re,

I am starting this week with the HST program. One last thing remaining is the diet.

I weight 74kg (163 pounds). To help me out with the protein intake, I bought Volumass 35 that contains 35g of protein, 45g carbohydrates, 3g of fat and 350 calories/30 from fat.

Having looked at the sample diet described on this web site, I have few questions:

1) 6 eggs in the morning and 6 eggs in the evening = 12 egg whites and 2 yolks?

2) I don't have a problem reaching my daily protein value but what would you people recommend to eat to get CARBS and FATS?

3) For fats, I have tuna fish available here. Is this a good choice? It also has protein..

4) What should I drink? Juice, water, tea or.. I will have to force myself to give up a habit of drinking 500ml-1l of beer a day.

5) To gain weight fast, do I have to take just 500 calories more? Would it be harmful to take 1000 more?

I would really appreciate a prompt reply, for I am starting on Tuesday-Wednesday.

Thank you in advance!

Mark.

1). Sure, why not? Personally, I'd elect to eat all of the yolks too. Don't worry about the dietary cholesterol, it has only a very minor effect on serum cholesterol levels. (Contrary to what we've all been lead to believe)

2). This is highly individual. Generally fat is kept somewhere in the range of 25%-35% of total calories. Carbs maybe 40%. This is purely a starting point though, and contrary to popular belief isn't as important as many people seem to think.

3.) Not something I eat simply because of a taste preference, but I always imagined tuna to be a fairly lean protein source. I think you'll have to find additional sources of healthy fats- perhaps nuts of some type (or my favorite, red meat).

4.) Get used to water. I think juice is a fairly useless waste of calories for the most part. Tea is probably fine. Beer is great! (Okay, perhaps not so great if you're really worried about bodycomp. Try to keep in moderation.)

5.) 1000 calories above maintenance might or might not be too much. The more calories above maintenance, the more muscle you're likely to gain, but also the more fat you'll be likely to gain. You'll have to figure out for yourself how much fat gain you're willing to accept.

Good luck!

Thank for the reply!
>3.) Not something I eat simply because of a taste >preference, but I always imagined tuna to be a fairly lean >protein source. I think you'll have to find additional sources >of healthy fats- perhaps nuts of some type (or my favorite, >red meat).

but i can't have more meat, it will give me more protein. protein is only 600 or so calories.. i need to find 2000 more.

>Sure, why not? Personally, I'd elect to eat all of the yolks >too. Don't worry about the dietary cholesterol, it has only a >very minor effect on serum cholesterol levels. (Contrary to >hat we've all been lead to believe)

12 eggs a day? it's a suicide my 6th sense dictates. 2 is a lot (w/ yolk) but for a guy of my weight it will definitely be an overdose.

>This is highly individual. Generally fat is kept somewhere in >the range of 25%-35% of total calories. Carbs maybe 40%. >his is purely a starting point though, and contrary to popular >belief isn't as important as many people seem to think.

But what would you recommend to eat to get the fat? There is fat in meat but not enough to give me a daily value.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but i can't have more meat, it will give me more protein. protein is only 600 or so calories.. i need to find 2000 more.

You'd be surprised at the fat content of some cuts of meat. But if you'd rather get your fat straight, start adding olive oil to your protein shakes - that'll pack in the calories quicker than anything else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]12 eggs a day? it's a suicide my 6th sense dictates. 2 is a lot (w/ yolk) but for a guy of my weight it will definitely be an overdose.

Your body fills its cholesterol need (and it is a need) in two ways; through dietary cholesterol (what you eat), and through endogenous cholesterol production (the cholesterol it can produce on its own). The body has a way to downregulate endogenous cholesterol when dietary cholesterol intake rises. Eliminating cholesterol from your diet will just require your body to ramp up endogenous production.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But what would you recommend to eat to get the fat? There is fat in meat but not enough to give me a daily value.

Again, all depends on the cut of meat. Additionally, nuts, avocados, and fatty fish are all excellent sources of fat. (I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few more)

Back