Planning Next Bulk. Thoughts?

leonardopm

Hi,

As said in the training log topic I just ended my cut and I'm currently SDing (and eating at maintenance). Meanwhile I'm planning my next bulk.

I made good gains the first bulk and I pretend to keep the Vanilla scheme but I'd like to emphasize more my arms, upper back and shoulders. I notice they didn't grow as the other muscles and my lifts are weak using these groups. My chest, for instance, grew much more and my bench is actually quite close my DL load.

My baseline routine from last bulk is:

Regular DL 2 x 10 (3 x 5)
Pull-ups / pull downs 2 x 10 (3 x 5)
Dumbbell row 1 x 10 (2 x 5)
Bench press 2 x 10 (3 x 5)
Calf raise 3 x 10 (5 x 5)
OHP 1 x 10 (2 x 5)

To accomplish the results above I planned these changes:

1. Add 1 more set to OHP
2. Change order between OHP and bench press
3. Add 1 more set on dumbbell row
4. Change pull-ups for chins (better engagement of biceps?)
5. Add 1 set of CGBP at the end of work
6. Change regular DL for Sumo DL (does it engage better the traps??)
7. Adopt a smaller load progression for bench press (5% per cycle instead regular 10%)

Thoughts and comments about these changes? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

- Do not change to sumo. Sumo is leg (quad) dominant by comparison. If you're looking at improving your upper back, then the best deadlift is conventional. Ideally, I would say Rack Pulls are superior for upper back development. Set them one-inch below the knee. Block Pulls are fine also though Rack Pulls better for your goals. Watch this video, ignore the commentary on page;

http://nattyornot.com/rack-pulls-thicker-back/

- Change pulls to chins. Rack Pulls will do more for them than these though in my experience (isometrics work).

- Don't add more rows, you won't need them and fatigue management and recovery should be your primary consideration.

- Add in BB shrugs

- Arms are 2/3s triceps, 1/3s biceps, so add in that second set of OHP.

Routine A:

Deadlift: 2x10 / 3x5
Front squat: 2x10 / 3x5
Chins: 2x10 / 3x5
Bench: 2x10 / 3x5
Rows: 1x 10 / 1x5
OHP: 2x10 / 3x5
BB Shrugs: 2x10 / 2x5

Routine B:

Rack Pull: 2x10 / 3x5
Leg press: 2x10 / 3x5
Chins: 2x10 / 2x5
Bench: 2x10 / 3x5
OHP: 2x10 / 3x5
BB Shrugs: 2x10 / 3x5

Skip calf raises. If you're pulling three times a week then you won't need them at all.

Maintain incrementation as;

Last workout of block; 100% of xRM, then work backwards in 5% decrements

2 weeks of 10
2 weeks of 5
4 weeks of extending/increasing 5RM

For shoulders, my medial head is the most underdeveloped. I had added OHP hoping that would fix it, but by experience and some research I found that OHP (while being a compound lift that hits all sorts of extra muscles) primarily targets your anterior shoulder. So I was going to give lateral raises a shot.

Thank you all for the input.

Jester, rack pulls seem to be a good choice but my gym doesn't have a power rack and I can't look for another one at the moment. There is a Smith machine so I could try and see if it works.

I used to squat on this Smith but i stopped as it was killing my knees. Is it viable to do front squats on a Smith?

I'm not sure if I understood the incrementation with the backwards progression, could you elaborate please?

About changing order between OHP and bench it may seem useless but my intention is to obtain better form on OHP since I feel very tired to do it correctly at the end of workout. I think is easier to do benches with good form even tired than doing OHP. makes sense?

Adpowah,

Lateral raises are a good choice but I'll wait a few months to add them because I'm still weak to have a good progression on this lift. It's in my future plans.

For shoulders, my medial head is the most underdeveloped. I had added OHP hoping that would fix it, but by experience and some research I found that OHP (while being a compound lift that hits all sorts of extra muscles) primarily targets your anterior shoulder. So I was going to give lateral raises a shot.

BTN press is fantastic for medial delts. I advise a fairly wide grip to prevent the triceps from dominating. Do them Push Press style; you'll get more strain on the eccentric. And this will sound weird, but again, Rack Pulls.

Thank you all for the input.

Jester, rack pulls seem to be a good choice but my gym doesn't have a power rack and I can't look for another one at the moment. There is a Smith machine so I could try and see if it works.

I used to squat on this Smith but i stopped as it was killing my knees. Is it viable to do front squats on a Smith?

I'm not sure if I understood the incrementation with the backwards progression, could you elaborate please?

About changing order between OHP and bench it may seem useless but my intention is to obtain better form on OHP since I feel very tired to do it correctly at the end of workout. I think is easier to do benches with good form even tired than doing OHP. makes sense?

Incrementation; I'm saying you just figure it out by plotting your last workout in a block as 100%, second last at 95%, third last at 90% etc. (assuming three w/o's per week). 5% incrementation between sessions is ideal IMO. 10% if it's a lift you only do every other session.

I would absolutely do bench before OHP. And I would make OHP into BTN, per above.

Rack Pulls on a Smith Machine are a no-no. Can you do deadlifts from blocks/other weight plates? A power rack is not necessary to pull from higher than the floor. If you can't do Rack Pulls, then I would do Lying Supported Rows, Pendlay Rows, T-Bar Rows, Cable Rows, Bodybuilding 'Barbell Rows' - that's my order of preference. Landmine Rows are excellent but very difficult to make work in some gyms.

Adpowah,

Lateral raises are a good choice but I'll wait a few months to add them because I'm still weak to have a good progression on this lift. It's in my future plans.

Lateral Raises have limited use due to their progression limitations. They can also be very rough on the shoulder joint for some people.

Jester,

I thought you were talking other thing about progression. Surely I adopt a 5% progression per SESSION, as prescribed on Vanilla HST. My doubt is if I should change progression per CYCLE, concerning bench. In other words, after getting my new 5RM on a cycle how much should I increment it for set the goal on next HST cycle?

Jester,

I thought you were talking other thing about progression. Surely I adopt a 5% progression per SESSION, as prescribed on Vanilla HST. My doubt is if I should change progression per CYCLE, concerning bench. In other words, after getting my new 5RM on a cycle how much should I increment it for set the goal on next HST cycle?

You should re-test it at the end of each cycle. What are your strength numbers? If you don't know precisely, knowing your absolute strength will help us make a more educated guess.

@adpowah - BTN = Behind The Neck

YouTube Dmikitri Klokov - he does a snatch-width BTN press, probably slightly wider than necessary but that's the idea. Jason Blaha has covered it in his earlier JFTV vids too.

5RMs:

Bench press - 86kg
OHP - 42kg
Pull-ups - BW + 8kg
Dumbbell row - 30kg
Deadlift - 94kg
Squat - don't know, quit doing a few months ago

I made 5 bulking cycles this year and progressed my lifts between cycles from 5 to 10% depending on level of proficiency in each lift.

BTN are really cool but I have a chronic tendinitis and can't do them.

Hmm, I will give it a try but I am taking a break from low bar back squats because it's really hard on my wussy shoulders. Thank you for the suggestion.

5RMs:

Bench press - 86kg
OHP - 42kg
Pull-ups - BW + 8kg
Dumbbell row - 30kg
Deadlift - 94kg
Squat - don't know, quit doing a few months ago

I made 5 bulking cycles this year and progressed my lifts between cycles from 5 to 10% depending on level of proficiency in each lift.

BTN are really cool but I have a chronic tendinitis and can't do them.

Lat raises it is. I would stick to 7-8RM range. Try to increase volume rather than load perhaps. Shrugs will help too, same principle at rack pulls; static tension.

Hmm, I will give it a try but I am taking a break from low bar back squats because it's really hard on my wussy shoulders. Thank you for the suggestion.

With BTN, ou can always use a ROM and grip width to suit your comfort. This is important to note - better to find a position that suits you than try it once and throw it away. Also be sure to warm up the shoulders first with lighter loads. If you were doing say 5 reps at 60kg, then do a warm of 8-10 reps at 30kg and a few more reps at 45kg.

I will probably do DUP/HST. I train with my wife so I try and keep my program pretty approachable. I am still mulling it over but my next big goal is 455 deadlift and probably a 255 bench.

With BTN, ou can always use a ROM and grip width to suit your comfort. This is important to note - better to find a position that suits you than try it once and throw it away. Also be sure to warm up the shoulders first with lighter loads. If you were doing say 5 reps at 60kg, then do a warm of 8-10 reps at 30kg and a few more reps at 45kg.
Thanks for the BTN suggestion. I thought it would be super uncomfortable but I like it a lot. I haven't gone above 50lbs but I've just been doing high reps and my medial delts are already making some progress. The medial delts for me have always been super undeveloped so I am excited to see the changes so quickly. Thanks again.

Back