Power Cut - Cycle #9

No creatine yet, but I was in the zone.
cool.gif
I feel that I will need to lift with more emotion while my strength isn't all there. I am flat out sick of the 15's though. I may limit the 15's to one week in future cycles.

As far as the C&P is concerned, I am sticking with 5 reps for the entire cycle adding weight ever so slowly. Today, I lifted 75 lbs in 3 sets with relative ease.

I also did shoulder horns with 20 lb DB's at the end of my workout. Did 10 reps each for both arms. My right shoulder is a bit weaker than my left.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Mar. 21 2007,13:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Leige, should I just cluster the reps or work with 5 rep sets?</div>
Clustering is good because you won't fatigue as fast. What's important is to not let your form break down.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Clustering is good because you won't fatigue as fast. What's important is to not let your form break down.</div>

I hear you. I have been doing that with squats too.

I invented my own form for the C&amp;P's. I took out the spring action and widening of the stance of ther jerking motion. I just deadlift the bar off the floor, but pull it up to my chin with my elbows downward like the real C&amp;P. I then press it with a wide stance using my quads for support and balance.

The clean is an explosive pull from floor to shoulders. The bar is actually pulled up so fast, it is thrown up and caught. The whole body is involved.

Clean.gif

I'll need to reset form next week. With the press at the end, it has turned into one giant standing military press.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 30 2007,01:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The clean is an explosive pull from floor to shoulders.  The bar is actually pulled up so fast, it is thrown up and caught.  The whole body is involved.</div>
Even if you watch Oly lifters using really heavy weights, they still manage to leave the ground with their whole body after the explosive pull off the floor and just before they drop down to catch the bar in the low front squat position. Truly awesome. Check out Chakarov doing a spot of training and watch his feet:

Chakarov

Just started 10's...
cool.gif

Lower back soreness is going away. I stretched a bit more before and during my deadlifts with these weights...

reps x lbs
10 x 45
10 x 135
10 x 185
7 x 185 (some soreness)
7 x 135
10 x 45

The rest of the workout (rows, bench, calfs, arnold press) went great!

I am taking hyperextensions out of my warmup routine due to lower back soreness. It's a bit too much frequency. This was discussed in a side thread - sore lower back

Four week creatine supplementation will start soon. I am on a budget, and I have 24 days worth (I'll skip the creatine on a Sunday) of creatine servings. When should I take the creatine?

A) 2 weeks of 10's, first 2 weeks of 5's
B) last week of 10's, first 3 weeks of 5's
C) last 4 weeks of cycle - the 5's

I have six weeks left in the cycles, this week and next week are 10's, and then I have the 5's. I am leaning with B/C.

If you're going to do creatine, I vote for the last 4 weeks when you're lifting you're heaviest. You'll get an immediate weight gain of about 5 pounds (water weight), and that should help you keep it in high gear when you need it the most
smile.gif

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Apr. 02 2007,20:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you're going to do creatine, I vote for the last 4 weeks when you're lifting you're heaviest. You'll get an immediate weight gain of about 5 pounds (water weight), and that should help you keep it in high gear when you need it the most
smile.gif
</div>
I was thinking the same thing as well, but the reason why I wanted to take creatine closer to the middle of my cycle was because of this thought proceess. If I take the creatine now, then my strength should be boosted slightly while on it. In effect, my strength will still be up after I am done taking the stuff.

<div>
(abarlament @ Apr. 03 2007,17:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good thought process. What kind of creatine are you using? I hope not the high priced crap.</div>
GNC Creatine Monohydrate

I'll mix it with gatorade so it has the glucose pathway to the muscles.

Side note: didn't lift today since it was such a nice day... ran and played Ultimate.
laugh.gif

In effect, my strength will still be up after I am done taking the stuff.[/quote}

hmmmm.....that's debateable. I dunno how long you get the benefit after you stop taking it. Maybe start the loading phase the week b/4 your 5's...unless you're sure the strength will carry through the 5's without it, but I'm pretty sure you'll lose the benefit within a week of stopping it.

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 19 2007,09:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And hey...starting to think of that old song...&quot;this boy's gonna make it, this boy's gonna get there!&quot;</div>
This has been bugging me since I read it yesterday... I finally remembered enough details to Google it and find it was the first single by the South African band Sweatband (featuring Wendy Oldfield) in 1986.

If you're interested, you can find out more and even listen to the song here.

Sorry, that's very off-topic.

It turns out that I was sick for two weeks with a bacterial infection in my stomach. Medicine has cleared that up and I feel fine. I plan on going back to the gym come Thursday. I am going to restart my 10's, but should I start creatine yet? The dehydration after being sick and dehyrdrated for that long may not be a good thing.

as long as you can drink an abundance of water when you start the creatine (as recommended) you should be fine. i imagine the days leading up to thursday will give you plenty of time to reverse any dehydration.

having said all that, whenever i am recovering from something like the flu (any vomiting that lasts at least a day) i always need to ease back into my normal eating sched/plans. i just dont have the appetite and it seems overeating as well as rich or unusual foods are quick to make me queasy. of course, everyone is diff. so if this hasent been a concern in the past (bouncing back from illness) i doubt it would be one now.

good luck, glad to hear your better.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Apr. 17 2007,14:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It turns out that I was sick for two weeks with a bacterial infection in my stomach.  Medicine has cleared that up and I feel fine.  I plan on going back to the gym come Thursday.  I am going to restart my 10's, but should I start creatine yet?  The dehydration after being sick and dehyrdrated for that long may not be a good thing.</div>
Sorry to hear that, colby....I get that bug myself a couple times a year, and it's not much fun.

My doc gave me this advice when I came back from a stomach bug, and I'll pass it on to you...your muscles/tendons/ligaments will have residual weakness coming off the sickness. The virus actually attacks these structures, so during your first couple of workouts, don't go heavy at all...your risk for injury will be much greater. I'd start with a full week of 15s, first.

Back