pre/post work out shakes

jwbond

I have always had a post workout shake consisting of:

40g whey
35g dextrose
5g glutamine
5g amino acids
w/ water

After reading the article on pre/post work out nutrition on this site I have added a pre workout shake of 20g whey with water.

I was wondering what others do, and if you were to make any changes...what and why?

Depending on the length of your workout and saturation of glycogen storage, I'd at least double or even triple the amount of dextrose (or some less GI-aggressive sugar) in your post-WO shake. Perhaps 40-60g of whey before your workout.

cheers,
Jules

yes they are both in whey, but not in that large of amounts. I figure it can't hurt to have it there.

What do you think about the dextrose, should I add more?

I usually also have about 30g of carbs 1.5-2 hours pre workout with 20-30g protein. Any thoughts on changing anything with the carbs there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What do you think about the dextrose, should I add more?

Yes, because there's something of a "free ride" with carbs after a workout. That is, if you eat excess carbs, you'll enjoy more glycogen supercompensation than at any other time in the day. The more metabolic stress you apply during the workouts (15s/burn sets, pulses, post-WO cardio, etc.), the more carbs you can and should take after your workout. Then, you would lower your carb intake for the rest of the day and emphasize protein intake. And taking some vinegar with the carbs seems to enhance this effect.

It's really better to overdo it than underdo it. Before HIT got popular, athletes just used to pig out on carbs after their workouts, and that was a pretty big reason why people could handle the large volume routines and still gain.

cheers,
Jules

whoops, viscious posted while I was posting...thanks for the info guys.

also I am cutting right now, should I cut out the dextrose until I bulk or do 40-60g dextrose to help creatine saturation even while cutting?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]also I am cutting right now, should I cut out the dextrose until I bulk or do 40-60g dextrose to help creatine saturation even while cutting?

For cutting, I'd probably do 70-90g of dextrose (plus vinegar) and possibly a short HIIT session after the workout. Then significantly drop carb intake for the rest of the day.

cheers,
Jules

Interesting...

Why the vinegar? What kind of vinegar? How much?

I have heard of HIT, but what is HIIT?

Thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated!

Ok, I found a thread on the vinegar and will be changing my shakes to the following:
pre: 40g whey w/ water
post: 40g whey, 5g creatine, 70g dextrose, 2 tablespoons of vinegar
I am suprised at the amount of simple carbs recommended for the post workout.  I always did 30g dextrose immediately post workout and about 50g complex an hour later.
I workout after work m,w,f around 5
wow.gif
0pm  I go to bed around 10:30-11
wow.gif
0pm so should I not be eating any complex carbs for dinner at 7:30?
I am starting to realize how little I actually know about nutrition.  I have been reading bb forums for years, but there is simply too much BS out there.   Can anyone post links on any good articles or good posts on how to design a good diet for cutting and for bulking?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwbond @ May 12 2005,7:51)]I have heard of HIT, but what is HIIT?
HIT=High Intensity Training
HIIT=High Intensity Interval Training- a form of cardio where you surpass your VO2max for brief periods, let your VO2max come back down, then up it again. The Higher VO2max periods should last for minutes or even seconds only.

jwbond, do you intend to mix the vinegar in with the shake? I've never tried it, but I would think that would ruin the taste of the entire shake. Whenever I use vinegar, I just take a shot and wash it down with something, plain old water works just fine. I think that's how most, if not all, people who use vinegar do it. But if you do end up mixing it in with your shake and it turns out not so bad, then let us know.

Also, here's something I've been wondering for a little while. They say that creatine is basic, or at least that it's not stable in an acidic environment. I've never worried too much about this, since the acid in your stomach has a pH of 2. But at the same time, I avoid taking creatine with anything acidic, and that includes vinegar. Am I justified in not taking creatine along with vinegar, or will it not make the least bit of a difference?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (savagebeast @ May 16 2005,6:57)]They say that creatine is basic, or at least that it's not stable in an acidic environment.  

I've never worried too much about this, since the acid in your stomach has a pH of 2.
I wouldn't either, there is nothing proving it.

There was one study done with caffeine, but it actually makes no sense either since a lot of studies showing beneficial use of creatine used tea and or coffee as the liquid.

whey in the post w/o shake? i usually use a slow protein immediately after w/o such as casein, and only use whey pre w/o.  is whey effective post w/o?  the more i read, the more confused i get!!!!!  i appreciate there's no clear cut answer, but any views would help
thanks    :confused:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (teethy @ May 17 2005,4:14)] the more i read, the more confused i get!!!!!  i appreciate there's no clear cut answer, but any views would help

savage, i just tried the vinegar yesterday for the first time and just drank two tablespoons chased by the protein shake. you can be sure that the vinagar would make the shake taste absolutely horrible, i wouldnt even try it!

dkm1987, can you direct me to any threads or articles on HIIT? I have been cutting for about 4 weeks now and I think I am starting to slow down. I have 2-3 weeks left and want to make the most of it. I started taking effedrine, caffeine, and r-ala again since i HATE cardio, but I think it is in my best interests to do some cardio atleast 3 times a week!
I have been reading about bb and diets for years now...you will always find different opinions, but more importantly new studies will change what is done w/ nutrition.
i think if you do a high protein meal 45-60 mins after your post wo shake you are fine using whey for post...someone please chime in if they disagree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (teethy @ May 17 2005,3:14)]whey in the post w/o shake? i usually use a slow protein immediately after w/o such as casein, and only use whey pre w/o.  is whey effective post w/o?  the more i read, the more confused i get!!!!!  i appreciate there's no clear cut answer, but any views would help
There is no need to be confused, it's rather simple.

1. Amino Acid Supplementaion has a better chance of getting to the muscle when there is increased blood flow to that muscle. So have amino acids present in your blood at the time of your workout. Whey or whatever.

2. Protein Balance is negative after working out, so in order to balance out the protein, you need to supplement again, since whey only lasts a couple of hours max, this can be done with whey again or a meal or a casseine based supplement, the main thing is get some protein in your blood. Casseine is more important if there will be some delay in getting your next meal.

3. To keep protein balance level or high you will need additional protein throughout the remainder of the day, this depends greatly on other foods eaten of course, so some clean proteins throught the day may help also.

Back