Preworkout, Postworkout Shakes

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Zack, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Zack

    Zack New Member

    I am shortly going to start a new HST cycle (currently doing the UD 2.0, and cutting like crazy).

    I weigh around 198 lbs pretty with a bodyfat % of around 8-9. I am usually at around 12-15% BF.

    Was considering the make up of the pre work out and post work out shakes. Here's the suggestion.

    30 grams maltodextrin
    30 grams whey protein(80%)
    3 grams creatine

    30 grams maltodextrin
    100 grams whey protein (80%)
    3 grams creatine

    One hour later:
    100 grams maltodextrin
    30 grams of caseine/whey blend
    5 grams flax oil



  2. Nemesis7884

    Nemesis7884 New Member

    why do you have such a high amount of protein post workout? I would rather do something like this:

    post workout:
    30g whey
    0.7-1g dextrose for 1 kg of bodywheight - therefore around 80g or so

    1-2 hours later (your next meal)
    the same as you splitt up your macronutritions...

    why do you take more protein post workout?
  3. Zack

    Zack New Member

    It is suggested in the HST FAQ to go high with protein, low with carbs, in the first postworkout shake. Then one hour later fill up with the main feed of carbs.

    At least that's how I interpreted it.

  4. Zack is refering to the same quote I posted in the Post Carb thread, but I don't remember it saying higher protein, only lowering carbs, but perhaps Zack saw something I overlooked.

  5. BoSox

    BoSox New Member

    yea I think 100 grams more of whey is too much, you'll just be burning through your whey supply in a hurry.
  6. Zack

    Zack New Member


    It's 80 grams of protein, since the powder is 80%, BTW.

    Still, I realise that either number, 100 or 80, isn't what we usually aim for.

    Considering lowering the initial protein serving to 60 EFFECTIVE grams of protein. Would mean around 75 grams of powder.

    Thanks for the help BTW. I appreciate the input.

  7. Juanxer

    Juanxer New Member

    About non-100% protein powders, how simple carbs-like is the carb part, usually?
  8. Cliner9er

    Cliner9er New Member

    What is "effective" protein?
  9. Zack

    Zack New Member

    Let's say you have 100 grams of protein powder and it is 80%.

    Then it is 80 effective grams of protein powder.

    A lot of people (noobies) use the weight of the powder when they measure how much protein they are getting.

    This is the real way of measuring it obviously.

  10. Aaron_F

    Aaron_F New Member


    thats a novel way of putting it

    100g of protien powder (well usually a powder made from other compounds, not really a 'protein powder' but more casein powder, whey powder and the likes)

    if it is 80% protien, thats all the protein in it, the other 20% aint ineffective protein, its ash, sugars, fat, flavourings etc...
  11. Zack

    Zack New Member

    Sorry for not being as clear as you.

    Thanks for making it more understandable.


Share This Page