primer and driver for cardio

sean

Recently, I read a message from Bryan about how you should have Primer and Driver or whatever protein drink when doing cardio just like you do when you lift weights.

Well, I do pretty easy cardio i guess. It's HIIT with 30 sec 11 mph and 30 6 1/2 mph but I only do it for 3 minutes (plus I add warm ups and stuff and get it to about 10 minutes all together).

Anyway, I don't won't to lose muscle while doing this, of course. But, since I am not doing 40 minute sessions of cardio, should I still use primer and driver? Or should I alter the amount I take of them?

Also, if i did use primer and driver, should I still drink driver with some skim milk. Presently, I eat an hour before cardio. I have an apple, a slice of turkey, and some milk as well as an extremely slight amount of peanut butter (about a quarter of a teaspoon). Right now, I'm thinking of having a fourth of primer for preworkout and a fourth of driver with skim milk for postworkout. I would only eat an apple and a slight bit of peanut butter that hour beforehand.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks,

Sean

I wish this forum would get more traffic/attention. Jules (Vicious) kept it up but he hasn't been here for a week or two. Anyway, thanks for the response Mindwraith.

Sean

Sean,

I would just eat "normal food" on cardio day and
save Driver, Primer and your $$ for workout days.

Are you doing cardio to loose weight / fat ??

Mikeh

Mikeh - It was suggested earlier by Blade to take a protein supplement before and after cardio. I do cardio 3 days a week and have been taking a whey protein supplement along with my daily serving of creatine (5g) after and I’m still seeing positive results. Seem to be keeping the fat off and adding muscleJ If your goal is simply to loose fat, I wouldn’t eat anything before or after for about an hour. Hope this helps!

One of the theories was that you take the protein before, to allow the body to use this instead of burning muscle. But in theory this could work the same way as carbs (eating protein will increase their oxidation, reducing fat oxidation same as carbs)
Not that really what you burn during the session makes much of a difference in the long run. (40minute session is only 2.8% of the day, so burning 25% more fat for 2.8% of hte day isnt going ot make shag all of a difference. overall daily balance is the biggest most important factor overall)

thanks guys

I decided that I'll go along with my original plan but try to not have driver (and milk) until about 30 minutes after my cardio.

Sean

Sean,

You should treat all training as catabolic stimulus. Have some protein before and some immediately after training regardless of cardio or resistance. You may want to have carbs PWO or wait for your next meal depending on your goals. Weight loss is still calories in vs. calories out. ;)

Back