Protein and Calories , newb Q

Louno

I want to gain alot of muscular mass,
Im 22 , weight 145 , 5'9 tall .
Im pretty slim except for my belly i have a small belly and since im very slim it shows a bit more .
So i understand that to gain mass u need calories and protein , im not into much of that powders and special drinks and stuff... is there a way i can get alot of protein without the calories , so i can gain muscular mass and lose fat by eating less calories...
Milk, subway, eggs, cream cheese, ... i just decided i want to get in shape so i know nothing about fitness yet... thanks for ure help guys

Sure you can get a lot of protein without the powders. Why would you want to though? Protein powders are cheaper per gram of protein than protein foods, and they are easier to prepare. If you do 3 protein drinks mixed with skim milk per day, you have 90 grams of protein right there. If you do a pre and post workout protein drink mixed with carbs there is around 40 to 50 grams. You can go the food route, but that is a lot more work. Plus, if you talking pre and post workout protein, the powders assimulate faster. This means amino acids are getting shuttled into you muscle cells at critcal times.

thanks for the answer,
do i need to take these drink like imediately before/after ?
does it really make a difference ?

Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time ?
Do i need to change my eating habits ?
How much protein do i need ?
arent carbs bad ? there like sugar no ?

If you use a fast digesting protien(whey) with a high gluecose drink before your workout, it should be taken within 15 minutes of workout as this type of drink absorbs really fast. If you eat oatmeal with milk or another slower digesting protien, than on hour before should be fine. A protein/carb solution or combo should definatley be taken in right after your workout. At this time you muscle cells are in a hyper absorbant state. You want to take advantage of this and lock nutrients into your cells.

Back