protein when cutting

teethy

ive read loads of posts and stuff on nutrition but theres one thing still nagging me: protein should be approx 1g per lb of body weight, but does this alter if cutting cals or bulking?  if cutting, should some of the reduced cals come from protein or just fats / carbs?  im thinking that protein intake should be the same whether cutting or bulking and the extra / less cals should be from carbs.  is it this simple? grateful for any advice

i believe it is that simple as a general rule of thumb. But timing is also very important, you would want to focus much of your carb intake post workout for glycogen replenishment so u don't crazily burnout. THere's been a couple threads here on the UD 2.0 and ketogenic diets that seem to help people alot.

calories should be in deficit, but
protein should stay high to perserve FMM
carbs should be reduced to create the calorie deficit

and i think thats about it :)

pzhang

Fat can also be lowered to remove caloric intake. Basically all you have to do is cut the calories, keep your protein adequate. 1g/lb should be fine.

Low carbing to staying higher with the carbs during cutting, at same caloric level of course, has some differences though.

I honestly believe, and Bryan has said this once before, that low carbing does burn fat faster. It's not significant, but a little faster.

But you start looking smaller faster. Your muscles will not be holding as much glycogen and water, but you'll 'dry out' a bit, look more ripped, etc.

With having high carbs, the muscles are full (or fuller). I like doing this route. I used to be very pro low carb, until i said screw it i'm following HST's nutrition advice to the T. 1g/lb protein, ~25% cals from fats, rest carbs.

I did that while cutting last summer, and it went great. You don't see that fat cutting as fast as low carb (and also this is due to lack of water retention, not so much more fat being burned), but your muscles remain much more swole. I prefer the high carbs b/c i don't lose the gym energy, pumps, etc., and i don't get as small (until i refeed on carbs).

ahhh lance u are a lucky one. I can't seem to lose any fat just by lowering calories in general/normal carb intake. I guess it might just be the body type? but i can relate to feeling like crap on lower carb. teethy u really do feel like crap when u do low carbs, but i guess it depends on ur bodytype and how far you're willing to go for the rip. If you do decide to lower the carbs significantly and do feel like crap, try some caffeine before workout to give u the energy to finish. good luck

pzhang

[b said:
Quote[/b] (noobie @ May 14 2005,10:25)]ahhh lance u are a lucky one. I can't seem to lose any fat just by lowering calories in general/normal carb intake.
yes you can. Lower calories more. I think a big reason taht low carb works is because most people eat so many carbs that by cutting out carbs, they just aren't eating much.

Lower your calories (or increase cardio) enough, and you'll lose fat. Thermodynamics
crazy.gif

Whatever diet you stick to best buddy, that's the one to go with.

Some do better with low carbs because it stops their carb cravings. Some just can't function at all in life without the carbs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Whatever diet you stick to best buddy, that's the one to go with.

Some do better with low carbs because it stops their carb cravings. Some just can't function at all in life without the carbs.

amen to that

Back