Protien supplements - sweet taste in mouth!

I

imported_guyben

I've started a new HST cycle just now, and this time thought I'd give Cytogainer from Cytosport a try.
I'm not advertising them or anything, but simply put, their portien shake is the easiest I have ever tried. A few sips and you get 55g of protien. Anyway, everytime I drink a shake (~55g protien, 600 calories, lots of carbohydrates in the form of maltodextrin) I get this annoying sickly sweet aftertaste for HOURS. And I mean hours. Even 8-9 hours.
From what I know and what I read on the net there are two options as to why I'm getting this taste.
The first, and the more simple one - artifical sweetners used in the protein powder. I know Aspartame can cause this, but can it cause it for such a long time, and resist several teeth brushing, and a few meals ??
The second option is Ketosis. I've read that too much protein can cause Ketosis which can cause for severe so called 'sweet' taste. But this should only happen if the carbohydrates intake is low and this shake is loaded with carbohydrates.
It's nothing I can't live with, but I'd still like to get to the bottom of this.
By the way - read somehwere that this taste can be one of the symptoms of undiscovered diabetis. Anyone know anything about this ?
Thanks in advance
Guy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote (guyben @ Sep. 17 2004,3:24)
lots of carbohydrates in the form of maltodextrin)
Awnser your own question?
Aaron,
Well, I'm not sure what you mean.
Ketosis is probably not the reason because I'm having a lot of carbohydrates. But I've never heard of anyone having such a strong aftertaste from a sweetner...(and for such a long time)
Maybe there's a whole other explanation that I'm missing.

if there is a lot of maltodextrin, I highly doubt there will be any other sweetners in it. Malto is quite sweet, rather sweet and that is highly like the source of the problem

Back