PWO shake thoughts

need2eat

I see metion of people taking in dextrose and malodextrin along with protien powder as a post workout shake....I reckon the dextrose is used in hopes that insulin levels will rise.

Right now Im takin taking 46g protein via a shake and eating a medium to large potato.  I believe the potato, affects the glucose leve in the blood, so, does it offer a simillar effect or would it be more ideal, to consume the simple sugars mentioned earlier?

thanks

I would assume a potato would have a similar effect to other complex carbs. Don't fancy your shake though!
biggrin.gif
Post-w/o: I have a pint of milk, 3 scoops whey, and 1 or two bananas. Does the job.

I bought a load of malto-wotsit and dextrose but never use it now (actually I use the dextrose in friends' cups of tea and coffee if they take sugar). What the heck do I do with the bag of malto? Any suggestions?  

I found this statement:

If the athlete consumes a simple sugar fuel the body will only permit 6-8% of it in solution into circulating serum for fuel replacement.
Complex carbohydrate fuels are easily and more-rapidly absorbed in a 15-18% solution. More calories are absorbed faster, and are available for energy production, from complex carbohydrates than simple sugar.

Kinda gives the nod to eating the potato huh..haha...as dextrose is a simple sugar/carb....although, the malodextrin is complex....

so how does malodextrin compare to ... a potato?  
smile.gif

How much is malodextrin, as I know the dextrose is cheap, economically is it a better choice?

I dislike bananas, I'll stick to the potato.  
smile.gif

Are you sure you're not talking about dextrose and maltodextrin? That's the standard shake I use (along with whey protein) and then eat a complex carb meal about an hour later...with more protein, as meat.

blush.gif

Your right quadancer, I was thinking "trin" wrote "trose".  I made the correction(s).  
smile.gif

Actually, doing old searches, I did notice you mentioning this and then after I began to read other peoples thoughts, it kept coming up.

Why do you consume the malodextrin over say a potato?  Is it along the lines of why someone would consume powder/liquid protein vs say a piece of chicken?

thanks

My postworkout shake consists of
Skim milk - 2 cups
Banana - one
Whey - 2 scoops
P-57g
C-57g
F-4 or 5g

I chase it with dextrose koolaid or dextrose/maltodextrin koolaid.  Just 10 ounces, enough to bump my carbs up to 100g

Quick, easy, cheap, effective. Why do I use a shake postworkout instead of whole food - I'm hoping for quicker absorption.

The next meals probably should be whole food. I still use a shake for both of my postworkout meals before switching to whole food an hour or two later. I just don't feel like cooking immediately after I workout.

When I have a post workout shake, mine is usually a couple cups of whole milk or three, three or four scoops of whey, maybe a couple scoops of ice cream and sometimes I add a bit of olive oil to boost the calories. Sometimes I just go eat a bunch of meat and stuff instead.

Lets knock this one in the head right off the bat.

*  I cook my chicken 5-10 lbs at a time, couple days in advance, my being lazy and not wanting to cook isn't an issue.

*  I eat every couple hours, my post workout meal, just happens to be at the end of my workout and it just happens to be, I choose to drink a protein shake, along with a potato.  If the shake weren't there, Id eat some more damned old chicken or tuna but I bought the protein powder for the very purpose, more so to offset the chicken consumption but its nice to have something different to consume after exercising, not much fun lookin forward to more chicken.  
biggrin.gif

As it sits, I drink 46g of protein shake with a large potato.

Now if someone would like to offer up a reason why I should opt for a dextrose/maltodextrin cocktail over my trusty potato, lemme know...Ive searched and read up on this...just looking for real world input from people that have experimented, lemme know why you choose the "cocktail" over say a potato or banana, other than convenience.  
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Simple the potato does give a nice insulin response.

The dextrose/maltodextrin gives a better one. More insulin after a workout = more muscle.

However, if you are happy with the results what you're doing now is giving...stick with it, no need to change

Post workout I prefer a shake with skim milk, a banana & Whey just like vagrant but I don't chase it with dextrose or anything else.  Unfortunately I always have problems from the milk.  Even if I use Lactaid I end up with gas and cramps about 3 hours later...which really sucks because I love the shake!  So even though I would prefer the milk shake I typically just use white grape juice and whey and then eat some solid food an hour later.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with the milk problem?  It seems odd to me because I could eat a whole large double cheese pizza if I wanted to and wouldn't have any of the lactose problems I get the milk. Now I'm hungry thinking about pizza......
tounge.gif

<div>
(vagrant @ Oct. 30 2006,14:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">More insulin after a workout = more muscle.</div>
there is really absolutely no evidence that more is better.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Oct. 30 2006,02:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(vagrant @ Oct. 30 2006,14:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">More insulin after a workout = more muscle.</div>
there is really absolutely no evidence that more is better.</div>
OK.

However, since I started doing this - I gained 30lbs in only 2 months. Lowered my BF% at the same time. This is with a normal test level for a 37 year old man.

And yes, Arron, insulin is very anabolic. You are the scientist, please find the definition of anabolic and share it with us. I'm pretty sure that it means it promotes growth.

<div>
(vagrant @ Oct. 31 2006,06:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ Oct. 30 2006,02:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
there is really absolutely no evidence that more is better.</div>
OK.

However, since I started doing this - I gained 30lbs in only 2 months. Lowered my BF% at the same time. This is with a normal test level for a 37 year old man.</div>
So?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And yes, Arron, insulin is very anabolic. You are the scientist, please find the definition of anabolic and share it with us. I'm pretty sure that it means it promotes growth.</div>

On a base level, anabolism is creating larger molecules from smaller, with catabolism meaning the opposite. On a gross, whole body scale, anabolism means growing and catabolism means shrinking.

Insulin pretty much operates in a permissive role in protein synthesis. The level which this effect happens is around fasted levels.

see

Invited Review: Role of insulin in translational control of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle by amino acids or exercise.

* Kimball SR,
* Farrell PA,
* Jefferson LS.

Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA

Protein synthesis in skeletal muscle is modulated in response to a variety of stimuli. Two stimuli receiving a great deal of recent attention are increased amino acid availability and exercise. Both of these effectors stimulate protein synthesis in part through activation of translation initiation. However, the full response of translation initiation and protein synthesis to either effector is not observed in the absence of a minimal concentration of insulin. The combination of insulin and either increased amino acid availability or endurance exercise stimulates translation initiation and protein synthesis in part through activation of the ribosomal protein S6 protein kinase S6K1 as well as through enhanced association of eukaryotic initiation factor eIF4G with eIF4E, an event that promotes binding of mRNA to the ribosome. In contrast, insulin in combination with resistance exercise stimulates translation initiation and protein synthesis through enhanced activity of a guanine nucleotide exchange protein referred to as eIF2B. In both cases, the amount of insulin required for the effects is low, and a concentration of the hormone that approximates that observed in fasting animals is sufficient for maximal stimulation. This review summarizes the results of a number of recent studies that have helped to establish our present understanding of the interactions of insulin, amino acids, and exercise in the regulation of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle.

Some trials show an effect of insulin on protein synthesis (anabolism), others show no effect. Animal trials have looked at the dose response effect of insulin on protein synthesis, and showed what was mentioned above. Human work has not examined this.

The main effect of insulin on protein balance is via reducing intracelluar breakdown (reducing catabolism, not anabolic per se - however on a gross level is classified as anabolism).

see

Mechanism of insulin's anabolic effect on muscle: measurements of muscle protein synthesis and breakdown using aminoacyl-tRNA and other surrogate measures.

* Chow LS,
* Albright RC,
* Bigelow ML,
* Toffolo G,
* Cobelli C,
* Nair KS.

Division of Endocrinology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St. SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA.

Despite being an anabolic hormone in skeletal muscle, insulin's anticatabolic mechanism in humans remains controversial, with contradictory reports showing either stimulation of protein synthesis (PS) or inhibition of protein breakdown (PB) by insulin. Earlier measurements of muscle PS and PB in humans have relied on different surrogate measures of aminoacyl-tRNA and intracellular pools. We report that insulin's effect on muscle protein turnover using aminoacyl-tRNA as the precursor of PS and PB is calculated by mass balance of tracee amino acid (AA). We compared the results calculated from various surrogate measures. To determine the physiological role of insulin on muscle protein metabolism, we infused tracers of leucine and phenylalanine into 18 healthy subjects, and after 3 h, 10 subjects received a 4-h femoral arterial infusion of insulin (0.125 mUxkg(-1)xmin(-1)), while eight subjects continued with saline. Tracer-to-tracee ratios of leucine, phenylalanine, and ketoisocaproate were measured in the arterial and venous plasma, muscle tissue fluid, and AA-tRNA to calculate muscle PB and PS. Insulin infusion, unlike saline, significantly reduced the efflux of leucine and phenylalanine from muscle bed, based on various surrogate measures which agreed with those based on leucyl-tRNA (-28%), indicating a reduction in muscle PB (P &lt; 0.02) without any significant effect on muscle PS. In conclusion, using AA-tRNA as the precursor pool, it is demonstrated that, in healthy humans in the postabsorptive state, insulin does not stimulate muscle protein synthesis and confirmed that insulin achieves muscle protein anabolism by inhibition of muscle protein breakdown.

There is no evidence in humans examining what level of insulin is required to achieve the maximum level of breakdown.

so as I said the first time

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">there is really absolutely no evidence that more is better.</div>

Rennie has some unpublished results about insulin. The levels which maximally regulate muscle protein synthesis or breakdown are really low (when measuring AA-induced increases in plasma insulin concentrations and the effect to muscle protein turnover). After a meal, insulin levels are usually between 50 - 100 µU/mL.

Michael J. Rennie*,4, Julien Bohé, Ken Smith*, Henning Wackerhage** and Paul Greenhaff.Branched-Chain Amino Acids as Fuels and Anabolic Signals in Human Muscle, J. Nutr. 136:264S-268S, January 2006

Quote:

The role of insulin in control of muscle protein turnover

The relation between AA availability, insulin availability, and stimulation of muscle anabolism is still far from clear. In the studies alluded to above, we have evidence that AA-induced increases in plasma insulin concentrations to values above 10 µU/mL had little effect on MPS, but this does not rule out the permissive effect for insulin at concentrations between 0 and 10 µU/mL. In very recent studies, we have attempted to address this question by measuring MPS and breakdown using the arteriovenous tracer flux technique as well as by measuring MPS as the leucine incorporation into muscle. The results show unequivocally that, at insulin concentrations below 5 µU/mL, exogenous AAs stimulate MPS (27) but, surprisingly, given our previous results, do not stimulate phosphorylation of anabolic signaling proteins in the mTOR pathway. When insulin was administered to achieve concentrations of about 15, 30, and 100 µU/mL, there was no further increase in MPS measured by either of the two methods, but there was a marked depression of muscle protein breakdown that appeared to be maximal at 15 µU/mL (27). In addition, there appeared to be a strong dose response relation between the concentration of insulin and phosphorylation of mTOR and p70 S6 kinase (M. J. Rennie, P. L. Greenhaff, and H. Wackerhage, unpublished results). These results strongly suggest that, in the absence of insulin, AAs are able to signal their presence without involvement of p70 S6 kinase or mTOR, but that the effects of insulin and AAs must share a final common pathway because the effects are maximal in the presence of high physiological insulin concentrations. It is possible that AAs signal through other nutrient-sensing and signaling pathways involving eukaryotic initiation factor 2B and glycogen synthase kinase or hitherto unrecognized pathways involving protein kinase B.

27. Greenhaff PL, Peirce N, Simpson E, Hazell M, Babraj J, Waddell T, Smith K, Rennie M. Dose-response relationship during hyperaminoacidaemia between insulin and leg protein turnover in healthy young men studied by tracer amino acid exchange. J Physiol 2005;558P.

Back