Question about cutting

Joe.Muscle

Ok guys need a little imput here.

I learned a lot last year from HST site. I learned that basically I can eat whatever I want as long as I burn more calories than I take in (during a cut).

Well last year I got down from 187 to 174 and I was about 8% body fat.

I feel I cut to much last year and lost too much muscle.

Right now I am at about 188 again however I look better and you can still see the abs a little bit.

I am going to continue to bulk until end of March then I will start cutting for Summer.

Here is my question.

If possible I don’t want to lose as much weight this cut around. I would like to drop some pounds but keep more muscle if possible.

I was thinking of eating a little cleaner during the cut which would naturally give me a little more protein. Also I was going to drink way more water and drop the carbs drastically for one month.

My thinking was that my doing this I could look better at a higher bodyweight by holding less water and depleting carbs?
rock.gif

Am I thinking right on this?

My workout will be a HST full body routine 4 times a week. ( which I am debating on maybe just doing upper / lower split instead
rock.gif
?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Ya I think just cut slower and eat more protein, as well as regular heavy weights, should maintain more muscle over the course of the cut. How much calorie deficit did you go last time? Try reducing it a bit.

174 at 8% isnt bad (depending on your hgt.). what % are you at 188? how does that compare to last yrs 187? what are you hoping to be at the end of march (wgt and %)?

coming from 8% i wouldnt think you would be terribly fat already or even by the end of march (unless you were seriously overeating). is being real lean (under 10%) a big goal? if not, i would think you could continue to bulk thru the summer (as long as your bf% didnt get too hi) and be that much further ahead for next yr (or the future).

personally i felt hamstrung for yrs b/c my occupation was very cardio intensive from may thru oct. so the summer was a "cutting" time for me whether i wanted it to be or not. only after i "retired" from that career did i begin to reap the benefits of being able to bulk for longer than 4-6 months. now ones bf % and size is a personal issue so im not trying to say you need/should be bigger but coming from 8% i would guess you have a lot more "room" than most to continue bulking into the summer without being too fat.

now as far as some of your diet plans...... i think the added water and lowered carbs is a good idea for dropping fat and retaining muscle but i would probably try to go with a "plan diet" rather then 1 month drastic drop. something like U.D. 2.0 comes well recommended (ive liked what ive read but have not tried it yet), its low carb (4 out of 7 days), relatively brief at 6-8 weeks, and designed to do what your looking for, cut fat and retain muscle. personally i find following someones plan easier then trying to apply what i know (when cutting) but since youve gotten down to 8% you should have a good feel for what works.

good luck

Back