Raise Your Flags

colby2152

Hmm, I guess this is JV's territory, but I think it would be a cool idea to display a small flag of the country that a person is from under their post count / avatar.

Any takers?

The idea is cool, but I wouldn't be able to decide which flag to use. I was born in Germany, and I am German citizen. However, I don't speak German very well because I grew up in the US. I've been living in Brazil for over a decade now. Could I have three flags?
cool.gif

Que? Tan hablo espanol o sprechen ze deuschesprache?
laugh.gif

I think it would be neat myself, if there was like a little flag like the smileys size there.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 18 2008,19:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Que? Tan hablo espanol o sprechen ze deuschesprache?
laugh.gif

I think it would be neat myself, if there was like a little flag like the smileys size there.</div>
Hmm, I don't speak Spanish because in Brazil, people speak Portuguese. Und glücklicherweise kann ich wohl annehmen das mein Deutsch wohl besser ist als Deins.
laugh.gif

I dunno, your German looks pretty good to me...portugese? I coulda swore...maybe it's because of the music. It sounds Spanish to me.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 19 2008,08:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I dunno, your German looks pretty good to me...portugese? I coulda swore...maybe it's because of the music. It sounds Spanish to me.</div>
There's a joke here that says that Americans usually think people speak Spanish in Brazil and that the capital is Buenos Aires. That's because Brazil in the only country in South America where people speak Portuguese. Ah yes, and the capital is Brasília, not Buenos Aires. But you're right, if you understand Portuguese, then you understand Spanish as well.

Unlikely to happen unless ikonboard offers this as an option. It's codeable but might well be non-trivial depending on how easy to hack the ikonboard code is.

Can't say I'd mind!

XFatMan

Entao falas Portugues agora ou Alemao? De qualquer das maneiras no Brazil fala-se ums especie de Portugues, vamos chamar a isso um dialeto da Lingua original?

Quad

Can't quite be confused with Spanish as teh intonations are waaaay different but it does sound similar, and if you speak the one you can easily understand the other, maybe not speak it well but speak it nevertheless.

As for Poruguese yes, that is what they speak or I'd call it a dialect of it, as even the spelling is different in many words from the original language...its pretty cool though.

And the music...well...the best Party music in the world...samba...when it is well played, never mind Ricky Martin!
wink.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Jan. 21 2008,07:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">XFatMan

Entao falas Portugues agora ou Alemao? De qualquer das maneiras no Brazil fala-se ums especie de Portugues, vamos chamar a isso um dialeto da Lingua original?</div>
Caramba cara, seu Português não é nada mal. Onde aprendeu? Claro que agora tenho que falar o que você chamou de dialeto. Para falar verdade, o original do Portugal é tão ruim que até os brasileiros preferem Espanhol por que é mais fácil para entender.

Holy crapola! My Espan'ol actually let me understand about half of that! And no, it's not easier! Not for me! Anyway, I see what you mean, Fausto.
Why am I picturing you in a conga line with a bunch of guys?
rock.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Jan. 19 2008,13:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Unlikely to happen unless ikonboard offers this as an option. It's codeable but might well be non-trivial depending on how easy to hack the ikonboard code is.</div>
I figured as much, but at least others are on the bandwagon for this one!
tounge.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why am I picturing you in a conga line with a bunch of guys?</div>

Hell, I'd love to be there with a full Caipirinha and the congo drums ready to go, he...he...he!
laugh.gif
With enough Caipirinha you can make one hell of a samba party!

Caipirinha = White rum + freshly squeezed lemonade, hmmmm delicious, pitty I stopped drinking sometime back
sad.gif

Ei, cara eu vou mandar uma mensagem pessoal para si, podemos assim conversar um pouquinho, afinal de contas nao e todos os dias que posso conversar na minha lingua.

Funny enough...sometime back I sued to use the Portuguese flag as my avatar!
wink.gif

You sued who? I remember you had the Portuguese Avatar. That was when I rotated between the Scottish, German, American, and Pittsburgh flags as my avatar.

<div>
(Fausto @ Jan. 21 2008,10:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Caipirinha = White rum + freshly squeezed lemonade, hmmmm delicious, pitty I stopped drinking sometime back
sad.gif

Ei, cara eu vou mandar uma mensagem pessoal para si, podemos assim conversar um pouquinho, afinal de contas nao e todoso os dias que posso conversar na minha lingua.</div>
Caipirinha should actually be made with cachaça (pinga). But who cares as long as the mulatas dance the samba?

Fausto, where are you from originally?

Basically cachaça is white rum, how do you expect American people to know this? Hmmm...the mulatas...hmmm.
wink.gif

XFatMan

Check your PM and you'll see my origins.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Jan. 21 2008,06:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Can't quite be confused with Spanish as teh intonations are waaaay different but it does sound similar, and if you speak the one you can easily understand the other, maybe not speak it well but speak it nevertheless.</div>
I've always figured Portuguese is like Spanish with a German accent...

Um yeah.....I speak English....and only English. I always wish I would have learned another language but it's a bit late for that. I think I would have a hard time learning anything else now.

The flags sound like a cool idea if there is an add-on for it. But I wouldn't waste time coding something like that. I would rather they took the time to migrate to a better forum than spend time on that.
rock.gif

You could always replace your avatar with a flag if you wanted.
BTW, I started learning spanish when I was about 48 or so.
No excuses! Shuddap and study!
Now if I could only understand it as well as I can speak it!

Back