Rest-pause Instead Of Normal Sets...

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by _Simon_, Jun 21, 2018.

1. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Just curious...

In the context of a HST cycle, I remember Borge said that it would be best to do myoreps when coming up to the end of a rep range, the last one or two sessions of 15RM and 10RM.

But would it be a good idea to do myoreps, or even just a rest-pause setup during the submax rampups (early parts of the rep range)? They don't necessarily have to be myoreps, but semi-rest/pause or cluster them just to get those sets to be a little more stimulating?

So not necessarily doing as many reps as possible in that first set, but sticking with the rep target on the first set, and clustering the rest with short rests between. And that way, by the last session or two of the rep range you can do more myoreps style as you're coming up to your RM.

Eg first session of 15s: 15reps (not to failure) +5+5+5

Last session of 15s: 15reps (to failure or close to) +5+5+5

So it wouldn't be myoreps per se around the start, but just clustering the reps a little closer (shorter rests) to get them a bit more effective so to speak.

Or is this just making it harder than it needs to be, and to just focus on the main aim of load progression?

I'm however now thinking maybe it's better to keep the 15s as 15 rep longer tension sets rather than doing little groups of reps...

Just some ponderings, don't know whether any validity :)

2. mickc1965

mickc1965 Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't do myo reps during sub max sets, cannot see the benefits when you are nowhere near failure, cluster sets I feel would be beneficial if you are getting to 2 or 3 reps from failure

3. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

I just treat myo-rep sets as "lots of work/stress/fatigue, little bit of time", so for me if I don't see myself developing that volume over the course of the next couple workouts or using as a final push within a block then I wouldn't see it as specifically beneficial unless you need to free up more time, in which case clustering may be similarly effective. Then again maybe I'm not using it right.

4. mickc1965

mickc1965 Well-Known Member

I used to think that but I did too many exercises per body part per workout and ended up burning out quite quickly, currently just doing one exercise per body part, with the activation set followed by 5 myo rep sets twice per week (basically doing Pull, Legs, Push, Pull, Legs, Push, Day off somewhere during the week) and this seems to suit me quite well at the moment, with all that is going on in my life at the moment 20-25 minutes per day is all I can give.

5. Blade

Blade Super Moderator Staff Member

As mentioned in the other thread, I actually tend to think a rest-pause/Myo-reps approach should be used exclusively (depending on the exercise, of course) for the 15s and 10s, as it checks all the boxes for muscle growth at those loads by inducing more metabolic stress, higher average MU recruitment and perturbation of the internal environment of the cell, satellite cell activity and potentially ribosome biogenesis. I will use dropsets for the first week or two of 5s, and finish off with a couple of weeks of regular 5s (and even some cluster training) with 2-4min rest periods to "deload" from the metabolic stress component.

6. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

I completely agree with Blade except I use ranges of 20, 15 and 10 as heavy weights are more likely to cause injury at my age.

7. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Awesome, appreciate the feedback guys.

Yeah I guess I just meant in terms of utilising rest-pause earlier on and then obviously as you come closer to your RM you'd essentially be doing myoreps. Then the reps drop and you're back doing rest-pause or clustering. It's moreso clustering, but you're at a slightly higher activation than you'd be at for normal sets, due to shorter rests.

I guess this is only in considering a 3x week frequency. So that you ramp up the intensity gradually (by that I mean coming closer to failure) so you're not going too close to failure too much of the time. Just thinking it may be a way of keeping the sets more stimulating than standard sets, but not so draining as intensity increases over time then drops again etc...

Just random thoughts really, myoreps may just well be a better solution, I just need to learn how to implement them without smashing myself ;D