resting metabolic rate and women

Hi, how do you get your resting metabolic rate when counting calories?

So when a girl wants to diet to lose weight, does she have stay under her daily calorie intake or will she still lose weight by meeting her daily intake with out going over?

If she needs to stay under, is there a formula on how much to stay under your daily calorie intake to actually lose a good amount of weight. Im trying to help out a friend who is falling victom to the atkins diet fad. i want to help her lose weight for summer and still enjoy carbs so she doesnt blow up soon as she starts carbs up again.

last question, if i can get her in the gym should her daily calories go up some to make up for teh exersice? or keep it as a daily intake for a unactive person ?

oops lied, circut training or cardio to drop weight ?? wich will yeild best results 3 times a week?

Thanks alot
blush.gif

To lose weight, you need to have a caloric defecit. A good number is 500 calories under maintenance. At this rate, one will ideally lose 1 lb of fat per week. Obviously this isn't the case. If one doesn't exercise, their body will turn to muscle instead of fat stores to make up for those calories. If fat loss is the goal, then daily calorie intake should be at a level below maintenance, regardless of exercise.

wow.gif
5-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Body By Cookies And Cake @ Feb. 17 2004,11
wow.gif
5)]Hi, how do you get your resting metabolic rate when counting calories?
So when a girl wants to diet to lose weight, does she have stay under her daily calorie intake or will she still lose weight by meeting her daily intake with out going over?
If she needs to stay under, is there a formula on how much to stay under your daily calorie intake to actually lose a good amount of weight. Im trying to help out a friend who is falling victom to the atkins diet fad. i want to help her lose weight for summer and still enjoy carbs so she doesnt blow up soon as she starts carbs up again.
last question, if i can get her in the gym should her daily calories go up some to make up for teh exersice? or keep it as a daily intake for a unactive person ?
oops lied, circut training or cardio to drop weight ?? wich will yeild best results 3 times a week?
Thanks alot
blush.gif
calorie needs vary a lot for each person, so the best way to determin your maintnance need is to just find out how much it takes for you to stay at a body weight. then, as mentioned, drop 500/day to find out how many calories to take in to lose weight.

exercise will help as it burns calories, helps preserve lean mass (thereby forcing body to use fat) and reducing hunger. using both weights and cardio is the best for weight loss.

Back