Ridiculous loss of mass

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 30 2008,12:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wow, that was like a speech from a Rocky movie or something!
cool.gif

laugh.gif
</div>
I could nearly hear &quot;Eye of the Tiger&quot; playing in the background. Sure an' it brought a tear to my eye...

Man up, Bro!

I don't understand the point of your thread. You have two options give up or don't. If you can't get motivate yourself, then your might as well give up.

Lifting like anything in life has ups and downs.

personally i think i get what he is saying....... its just the frustration talking more then anything.

we all got into the lifting game thinking 6 months to a yr of hard work and eating and folks will be tripping over themselves to check out your physique. it doesnt really work out that way for most now does it. 10lbs of muscle comes with 10lbs of fat if your lucky! real hard work and real eating take time to develop and learn with a lot of pitfalls along the way that keep us from making the progress we think we can. there always seems to be that freind or guy in the gym that you constantly compare yourself to yet seems to have gained all his mass from sleeping and eating chips and donuts.

we all gain at diff. rates and it seems that most of the ones who work the hardest at it are the ones who gain the slowest. coming to grips with the fact that chances are you wont be truly &quot;big&quot; or that it will take many yrs......not months is tough. many bang away for yrs just to reach the point of looking like they lift.

unfair? maybe.....but just the way it is.....what are you going to do.
perhaps its not for you or perhaps not right now. who knows. if the desire is greater then the frustration and disappointment youll continue to work at it and learn to avoid the pitfalls and maximize your strengths.

good luck

btw. a lot of folks posting advice have been in the same boat your in now as well (myself included). as you read more (especially old stuff) youll come across plenty of posts about a 10-20lb gain in wgt or increase in bench etc. that was immed. projected out 6months for truely amazing results. if it all worked out for us we'd all be 250lbs at 12% benching 420 for reps. needless to say it hasnt for many reasons. dont give up your dreams and aspirations, just realize what it will take (time and effort) to achieve them.

I agree, a change in body composition, or as Lyle likes to call it, Body Recomposition takes some years to develop. It should be a goal for life, not something that can be done in just a few weeks or months.

Wow, suddenly this thread just exploded. First of all, a big thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Joe.Muscle: great, great and inspiring post. Thanks a lot. The first two years of weightlifting might have been a halfassed attempt on my behalf. That has changed. I have basically been a fascist to myself since I started HST in october (I do write down everything I eat, count every calorie and very, very rarely miss a workout etc). I have lost contact with many of my friends, neglected my studies, quit my political commitments, and (very recently) left my girlfriend, who I lived with up until now, just so I could focus on my training. It has given me results that are, in my eyes, fantastic, which I have also written several times. I guess that the reason this sudden setback got me feeling so hopeless is that it feels like I have sacrificed a lot of other important things in my life to get my training on the right track. But I guess that one lost cycle isn't the end of the world.

QuantumPositron: While I knew illnes will increase your metabolism, now that I think about it, I did have quite a high fever for about five days. That, in combination with eating under maintenance during that very time (threw up quite a lot and all that), is probably why I lost so much weight in so little time.

About flatness, I get that even on sundays, (workout mon-wed-fri), so that isn't new.

I got two major points into my head.
1. Stop feeling sorry for myself when things don't go according to plan, and keep on working hard. I'm not calling it quits. I'll never do. That's just not me.
2. Start a log, for me, and for those who wish to put my life under a magnifying glass. I'm taking my new maxes at the moment, and will start the log as soon as that is done.

Thanks again to everyone!

i really feel sympathy for you from what you've written. just remember: if theres a will, theres a way. I think that ur doing everything right in terms if training just dont neglect other things in ur life. I fear I'm making the same mistake

In any case, remember that muscle memory is your friend
wink.gif

<div>
(Minime @ Apr. 30 2008,5:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have lost contact with many of my friends, neglected my studies, quit my political commitments, and (very recently) left my girlfriend, who I lived with up until now, just so I could focus on my training.</div>
Sometimes I can't remember if I am old and senile or older and wiser but it sure sounds like something is way way out of kilter here to me. Perhaps you might consider swapping some of that gym time for some time on a shrink's couch. No trying to be a smart-*** here but sacrificing things that should be very important in one's life to look a bit better and then stressing over a couple of pounds to the point of thinking of throwing in the towel is not healthy in my opinion. This is a hobby man. Work it into your life...don't let it consume and ruin your life.  Take some advice from someone who has been working out for 50 years and get some help, please. Besides, you cannot possibly grow with the amount of cortisol raging through your body. Fix the head and then the body will respond. Best of luck!

<div>
(Old and Grey @ May 01 2008,1:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Harsh, perhaps. Concerned? Yes.</div>
And older and wiser too.
cool.gif

I have to think of it as a bit more than a hobby myself; in order to stay consistent. If it begins to replace important things, it needs to go on the hobby shelf until perspective returns.
Of course, age, fatigue and low test take care of that eventually.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 01 2008,7:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Of course, age, fatigue and low test take care of that eventually.</div>
That's why they invented Androgel!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(electric @ Apr. 30 2008,5:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In any case, remember that muscle memory is your friend
wink.gif
</div>
I am relying on muscle memory this year. It worked wonders in 2005, and I feel it will do the same at the end of 2008.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sometimes I can't remember if I am old and senile or older and wiser but it sure sounds like something is way way out of kilter here to me. Perhaps you might consider swapping some of that gym time for some time on a shrink's couch. No trying to be a smart-*** here but sacrificing things that should be very important in one's life to look a bit better and then stressing over a couple of pounds to the point of thinking of throwing in the towel is not healthy in my opinion. This is a hobby man. Work it into your life...don't let it consume and ruin your life. Take some advice from someone who has been working out for 50 years and get some help, please. Besides, you cannot possibly grow with the amount of cortisol raging through your body. Fix the head and then the body will respond. Best of luck! </div>

Stress = cortisol = lack of growth AND lack of fat loss as mentioned before

O&amp;G is right, training nor diet should consume your life. The time I spend lifting weights is about 2.5 hours per week thanks to my frequent full body workouts via HST.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wow, OG, your harsh. I'll comment on it later, gotta go to sleep now.</div>

He wasn't being harsh, but rather pragmatic and critical for your benefit.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ May 01 2008,10:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's why they invented Androgel!  </div>
The ultimate body recomposition plan...!
smile.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Apr. 30 2008,6:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Minime @ Apr. 30 2008,5:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have lost contact with many of my friends, neglected my studies, quit my political commitments, and (very recently) left my girlfriend, who I lived with up until now, just so I could focus on my training.</div>
Sometimes I can't remember if I am old and senile or older and wiser but it sure sounds like something is way way out of kilter here to me. Perhaps you might consider swapping some of that gym time for some time on a shrink's couch. No trying to be a smart-*** here but sacrificing things that should be very important in one's life to look a bit better and then stressing over a couple of pounds to the point of thinking of throwing in the towel is not healthy in my opinion. This is a hobby man. Work it into your life...don't let it consume and ruin your life. Take some advice from someone who has been working out for 50 years and get some help, please. Besides, you cannot possibly grow with the amount of cortisol raging through your body. Fix the head and then the body will respond. Best of luck!</div>
Minime, maybe you're like me suffering from Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

Welcome

I think the guys are right dude. You gotta stay focussed remember many of us here are quite a bit older and experienced and they have shown their concern and voiced their opinion.

Tough love, yeah, there will be some, but I'd say never...ever throw in the towel that's just not the way.

Have patience...after all when you said you were vomiting, and had a high fever, well then you should not be surprised that you have lost weight, unfortunatelly our bodies can throw away quicker than they can build but...most things in life are like that.

Think of ants...and bees...man they just never, ever give up! HST is a great way to train and to me is a recipe for life, simply because you train smarter...not just hard all the time with no end result!

keep up the work and maybe switch to a simplify and win routine, I'm surprised Lol didn't tell you that already, if you don't want to gain too much fat, stay on about 500 calories or so above BMR and work hard and smart when you get to the gym.

Don't waste time with too much isolation work, and at least put in the big five compounds: Squats/Deads/Bench/Military Press/Weighted chins, complement these with weighted dips, alternated or not and maybe some clean and presses also alternated, and you will surprise your self.

However...give it at least two full cycles before you show some sizeable gains, and oh yeah...eat like its your job!
cool.gif

All right. I just can't win, can I? First i'm not committed enough, then I need a shrink.
smile.gif

This is how I work: I know myself good enough to know that I need to be hard on myself to achieve something, at least until I get into the habit, which can take time. If it takes some extraordinary effort from me initially to get something sorted out and make it a natural part of my life, then I will do it - provided it actually works. If I find that two months work goes down the drain in just two weeks, of course I'll start doubting wether it's worth the sacrifice. But as I said, I'll have another go.

Also, for me it's not quite as simple as a desire to just &quot;look a little better&quot;. I already told that story in another thread.
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....t=14845

Dark.Master: Let's just say that there are plenty of other quite heavy reasons for me leaving her. That's a little bit too personal to be discussing on a public messageboard though.

Anyway, the whole point of me starting this thread was to find out how it could be possible that I lost all my gains in such a short period of time, not to start a therapy-session. Mission complete; it has now dawned on me that my short illness (coupled also with my bad genetics) is to blame.

You guys all take it easy!
/Minime

<div>
(Minime @ May 01 2008,11:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dark.Master: Let's just say that there are plenty of other quite heavy reasons for me leaving her.</div>
She was over-weight?  
rock.gif

Sorry.
smile.gif

Back