Rookie Question

RUSS:
"I believe that it's because many people stay in the garage, never knowing that in the right federation they could do better than they think."

Some of us don't base our worth on comparisons to others, man. Here's my olive branch:

Whether you admit that you were wrong or not, or apologize or not, what's done is done. You attacked me without cause, called me a liar, among other things, and even before now have displayed an attitude to me. Do you even care what someone like myself does base my worth on? I will tell you now. I base my worth on the fact that I help old ladies get into locked cars. I base my worth on the fact that I help people push their broken down vehicles out of the road. I base my worth on the fact that I come to places like this forum to help others if I can and to learn what I can from others. I do these things every day. I do them even though I have very little faith left in humanity. I do them without reward and I refuse any reward offered. In short, my TRUE 625 deadlift is nothing to me compared to what I can do to lift others up.
In short, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. And that goes for everyone.

scientific muscle:
"Who made you the Hst forum police? You are not a moderator and you are insulting constantly in your posts.
I hope a mod gives you a warning. There is no flaming here at HST otherwise I would tell you what I think of you...
Too bad because you seem to be smart."

Defending myself from the attacks of others does not require me to be the forum police. I am only insulting to those who insult me. Don't like it? Don't dish it out. There is no flaming here at HST? I disagree. You regulars seem to think that you can flame people at will. Just because people leave, rather than giving you your own medicine, doesn't mean that there is no flaming here. Feel free to tell me what you think of me--but have the spine to do it to may face, that's why I gave my address. And feel free to bring your pals. I am smart, not that it makes much difference here.
Do yourself a favor and read all of this BS before you judge me.

Here you go

APA GEORGIA MENS RECORDS

Weight Class
Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift
Total

220 lb.
500 J.Walker
515 Todd Humphries
670 P.Hall
1270 J.Walker

now thats APA georgia  where john lives with a 625 that leaves only what 645 between bench and squat (322 each) to have won total . C'mon whats so confusing to this guy? You can lead a horse to water...
smile.gif

Hey Mud duck, see what happens if you go and ask a rookie question!
biggrin.gif

Some of these boys need to go and lift some iron.

RUSS:
"... someone who deads 6 something can be expexted to do good enuff in the other two that he too could be "titled" - unless of course the other two really sucked, which didnt fit into the persona being projected that I was trying to help."

If I read that correctly...
I should compete?  The truth is that I don't know much about the sport itself.  I never said I did.  I have read articles from Westside and so on, but everyone here has done the same.  I had no idea that a 625 dead was anywhere near what others lift in competition--in any federation or any weight class.  If I had known that and what I know now, I might have lied and said it was lower just to prevent this fiasco.  The other lifts don't suck, but as I said, the dead is my best lift, unless you count junk like hammer curls--and I know you don't.  Neither do I.
To be honest again, you are correct in stating that some have no idea what they could do.  Powerlifting today is very confusing.  The equipment, the rules, the different federations...  I admire anyone who can keep up with it all, because I don't even own a belt, much less a shirt, chains, boxes, bands...

Anyway, I'm too old and indifferent to be so negative as I have been here.  I hope that we can all be more positive and supportive in the future.  If not, I'm out.  No skin off my back.

And believe it or not, I actually have as many questions as I have answers.  But it's hard to stick your neck out and ask crazy junk when you are fairly sure that you're going to get chopped.  You know?

I do see your point now, RUSS.

Please keep the personal attacks out of the discussions.

There is no problem with anyone disagreeing with anyone else but keep to the topic at hand, PLEASE
cool.gif

I think it safe to say that I received MUCH MORE than I was bargaining for with this simple question. Although I have read through some of the links and articles, I have not read through all of them...if my specific question was answered within those links, then I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

One thing I would hope people think about: There are many people who visit this and other boards to get answers to their questions. One of the quickest ways to reach your personal goals is to lean on the experience of those who have already been there. A board such as this allows the free exchange of those experiences, to the betterment on all. The type of language and personal attack that took place on this thread is not conducive to this type of environment, and will only lead people away from this board.

If this is the type of camaraderie and mutual support that I can expect from this board, then perhaps I should cut my losses now and set out on my own.

Poor ol' Mud-Duck - he only asked a simple question and got the whole "ad hominem saga"

Stick with it MD, do some serious lurking/searching & I think you'll find it's not always as bad as this; in fact it usually is a whole lot nicer  
wink.gif

As to the two headbutters: S.U.M.O. (shut-Up & Move On)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I know and I can't believe I allowed myself to get roped into responding on his level - most sincere apologies to all on the board.</div>

Russ, its beyond belief, for a minute there I though I was in the wrong forum WTH?
rock.gif

John, although I am not the forum police and I am small as hell, I'd say the conduct is not the norm in this forum and is highly frowned upon.

MudDuck

Never mind the head butters, actually John gave you a perfect answer, straight after your question, the apologies should come from these two dudes, IMO.
sad.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jun. 06 2007,18:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(John Steel @ Jun. 06 2007,17:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">stevejones:
&quot;That chart has me pretty confused.  Why are the records in NASA so much lower than those in the USAPL ?   The best any 275 lb man can do in NASA is 600 lbs ?  Heck, the most weight anyone on that page has pulled is 672 lbs in the SHW division, and the 198lb class record is the same as the 242lb class record ? lol   Sheesh, I need to start competing in nasa pronto.  All these other divisions are too hard.&quot;

Yet more PROOF of my point.  625 is NOT A RECORD at 210 or below, even though you, RUSS, apparently chose the LOWEST federation to use as an example to call me a liar.  What a piece of s**t.  Hahahahaha.

By the way, your facade of superiority is hilarious.  Especially since you have yet to post any stats or photos yourself and you continue to be rude and insulting, all the while claiming that I am immature--in addition to admitting that you have no intention of backing up that mouth.  Too fn funny.
It's easy to claim that you're such a stellar being when you take no risks at all.  I posted my stats, my photo and my routine--knowing all the while that some weakling like you would run his mouth in judgment--and I did it immediately, not in DAYS.  You are a pitiful excuse for a human being and a disgrace to these boards.</div>
Who made you the Hst forum police?  You are not a moderator and you are insulting constantly in your posts.

I hope a mod gives you a warning.  There is no flaming here at HST otherwise I would tell you what I think of you...
Too bad because you seem to be smart.</div>
You must be jocking. Or overly indulgent when it comes to giving praise.

Mud Duck, did you get the answer to your question? Your thread kinda turned into something other than educational - and I'm sure you just needed some info.

Sorry man! I hope in the end this doesn't sour you to the Forum - I've learned so much from these guys, and have seen very little combative banter, other than the kind that induces new ideas to be born.

Good luck with your program!

Ok, ok. All the bickering really needs to stop. If you can't post without attacking each other, please wait until you can before writing anything more.

This isn't about who started it or who is just being difficult with everybody, its about keeping a good vibe here on the HST forum. Sharing and learning can't take place in a hostile environment.
sad.gif

I hope you all understand.

-bryan

<div>
(trump @ Jun. 06 2007,02:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Strategic Deconditioning (SD), aka sitting on the sofa for 2 weeks.

You dont need to lift your maxes after you've SDed. The lower weight will be productive. Thats why you'll SD after every full cycle (ie 6 to 8 weeks).

After you find your maxes to setup your first cycle, you'll SD before you actually start as well.

I'm just about to start a new cycle after not lifting for a long time. Yep, I'm super keen to start, but I'm still doing a little bit of SD.</div>
Ok so I havent read that big argument that derailed this thread.  But the OP asked why he didnt need to go to failure. For me the simple answer is &quot;SD&quot;. And also, at the end of a cycle you will be hitting failure, or pretty darn close to it anyways (but only because you've been progressing the load and you're gunna reach your limit at some point. So hitting failure is really a side effect of progressive loading and not a goal per se).

Back