Sample Routine

I'll be doing warmups for everything.. 50% or less of the working weight..

the workout days are M-W-F
Would anyone thing there would be a problem doing accessory work on Tueday & thursday... Tri's, bi's, abs, Calfs, traps???

I'm not talking about an hour in the gym, one exercise per muscle with one working set.. about 10 sets total.. or would it just be best to do them on M-W-F after the compounds? I figure I can easily be out of the gym within 45-1hour withthe 5 compounds.. I prefer do to accessory work on Tue&Thur.. but again.. I want to do what works best withthe program..

Also, thanks for all the help.. very helpful friendly board! I do have to admit.. I'm use to doing massive chest and back workouts and it's going to be very difficult to do this program but I've heard nothing but good things about it for a long time....

Reasure me.. I'm no beginner.... will I really see some growth doing this program for 8 weeks with proper diet?

I would take the extra 15 minutes or so and do the accessories directly after compounds , so that recovery is complete and optimal on rest days.
Will you grow? HST is basically some universal principals that almost any effective program is already using , either in part or in whole (although the "monicker" SD is unique to HST - other systems use different terms and state different "reasons" for this). The truth is, original HST is a very straight forwards dual factor program that various users found to be optimal through trial and error when "synthesized" with a "hard gainer" (stuart McRoberts) aspect - resulting in the "simplify and win" version which creates a SUSTAINABLE program. This is really the "uniqueness" of HST , other programs have been found to be more optimal in some aspects but ultimately HST is going to do the most, for the most number of people ,for the longest period of time. IMHO.
Although there can at times be some almost religious fervor and the occassional touch of rigidity - I think you'll find that most members are open minded , knowledgeable about the basic tenents of other systems and enjoy the ongoing pursuit of "perfecting" HST to thier own personal tastes. I've never heard any claim they didn't grow on HST without acknowledging some form of mistake on thier part (usually diet related).

I'm curious what your training has been like for the past 6 months? What program(s) , frequency,volume ects. Knowing this would enable higher quality responses I think as oppossed to more general overviews.
smile.gif

Here's a little info
Height 5'10
Weight: 195
Bf: 12%
Diet, way under control... lean bulk, around 4000-4200 cals daily... and it aint easy...  
smile.gif
40/40/20..40/35/25... I've been told that since I'm 44 it may be wise to up my fat% due to age and testosterone levels.. ?  Not sure if it matters but I feel great.. plenty of energy so I prefer to keep low fat.. personal preference.. I do play with the protein / carb ratio... but nothing drastic..

Goal.. to put on another 10-15lbs of lean muscle...
time Frame.. I'm patient..  
rock.gif

From May-July I was doing a 5 one muscle per day routine.. was cutting most of the time on this routine and didn't really have much in the way of strength gains worth bragging about.. dropped some pounds so overall, the routine accomplished what I wanted.. mainted muscle may have put on a little.... or maybe it just looks as if I have from the weight loss.. Faily pleased with the way I look but as alwasy... wouldn't mind being bigger.. hince.. why I landed on this forum..

5 day I was doing may-july
Monday:chest
Tuesday Back
Wed: legs
Thursday: shoulders
Friday: Arms

currently doing this....
for the past 5-6 weeks I've been doing an unusual 4-day full body / upper-lower split to accomodate my schedule..Mondays and Wednesdays.. Full body, Fridays Lower body and Saturdays, Upper body.

Mondays: 2X10---light
Wed: 2X10---moderate
Friday: 5X5----moderate-heavy
Saturdsay 5X5---moderate to heavy
I've gradually increased the weight each week but haven't been taking anything to failure...

so far, I feel as if the current routine has been far better than the 5day...more recoup time.. lifting better and overall fell stronger.. It's been years since I've done a full body and actually forgot how great they are..
I've been keeping compounds at a minimum of 80%

In short.. not a beginner.. training on and off for 30 years.. Just started back early this year from an 18 month layoff due to an old shoulder injury.. upright rows..
mad.gif
 Left side of the body had some pretty bad atrophy but it's coming along and I've actually progressed farther than I thought I would have considering it was almost 18 months.. should be at 100% by next may... currently, the left side is about 10% weaker.. but I'm working db's on bench, rows and basically anythiing I can to get the left side up to par..

Lost a lot of muscle mass over the 18 months of not doing anything.. I wouldn't even carry a bag of groceries with my left arm.. for fear of irritating the left shoulder..

Hope this info helps...

Just from what you've outlined (age , goals recent training history) I think HST will fit you very well , some similarities to your previous 6 weeks -but you may find HST just a bit more optimized. You've got:

Squats: M&F
Deads: Wed only
Flat Bench: M-F
Incline bench: Wed only
Hang Clean Press: M-W-F
DB Rows: M-W-F
Pullups: M-W-F

I'm going with a 12/8/4 rep scheme
1X12
2X8
3X4

It looks good , I think the trick to HST when begining is to stick to the plan - the first w/o's of 12 are going to seem so easy it's very tempting to "tweak on the fly" and want to do more. Remember that the second week of each rep range is pretty much 90% RM for that rep range and above - what makes this possible 3x/wk is the fatigue management built into the basic program of "easy" markedly submax loads the first week of each range. When you go to calculate loads you may find some zigzag . This too is good - some decide to eliminate zigzag for a linear approach but this is less optimal for fatigue accumulation management IMHO.

The main thing to keep in mind is that - as HIT has made its "thing" intensity , and weider ect. made thier thing volume , HST's "thing" is frequency (with of course progressing loads) so what may seem like compromise on some parameters is actually balanced in the respect that it enables that frequency . I think you'll have no trouble adding some quality mass.
smile.gif

thnak Russ, I appreciate everyone having patients and taking the time to answer my questions in such detail.. Great Board..

Back