Shake Suggestion

Franko

I'm trying to find a good shake that I can use to add about 500 - 700 calories a day. I definitely need to add more calories and the thought of adding more food is driving me crazy. I tend to eat pretty clean so Ive got to eat a lot to get the calories i need.

So any suggestions on brand, or type of shake...what do you think about those gainer shakes?

Thanks everyone

From what I can tell, the standard thinking is this, make a combination of the following until you meet your calories and taste:

protein powder
bananas
peanut butter
EFA's
oats
milk

you could also play around with dextrose and maltodextrin, as well, I reckon..

If you insist on eating clean, then weight gainer shakes are pretty much not acceptable for you. Just look at the ingedients.

Personally, I would either add a meal with some protein and fats, since fats have a ton of calories, or just get a plain old whey+milk shake. You can add some olive oil to the shake if you want the extra calories. Don't worry, olive oil is clean, so you won't violate the holy tenets of clean eating. Also, it is very calorie dense, so it's easy to bump the calories of your shake way up just by adding a quarter cup of olive oil.

Doesn't that much oil upset your stomach?

Also, Im looking for something quick that I can have at work.  Anyone know of any decent meal replacement shakes.

Tot, I know most of the things I've looked at are terrible which is why I came here looking for a better solution, perhaps there isnt one...

It doesn't bother me, but if it does bother you, you could just put less oil in there. I use whole milk, which adds more fats as well, upping the calorie amount even further. I can easily make a shake containing over 1000 calories with tons of protein. Great for bulking when it's hard to get the food in.

the body utilizes olive oil quite well, depositing little as fat. One rule of thumb is pure virgin olive oil. I can't remember why, but I think it's because the vigin stuff had more omega 3's. It can make a shake taste a bit weird when using a lot of it, but not so much when you pop a banana, some nut butter and such as you yourself listed.

Every time I tried store bought gainer shakes, I just got fat immediately.

Back