Simplify and Win!

Great thread. Definitely should be a sticky.

Fausto, you answered all my questions in your one post and the sample workouts are a great guide.

I am getting back into HST after more than a year of slacking off, your post gave me a quick and thorough guide of what I need to keep in mind.

Great work!

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 11 2006,04:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">3 - Confusing the muscle to make it grow is not a HST theory or parctice and is a retarded way of viewing muscle physiology
biggrin.gif
</div>

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you however, if you vary intensity every two week block...then stop exercise completely and repeat.

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck...then it must be a .....
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck...then it must be a ..... </div>

Yeah, that is still not confusing the muscle, but a technique, O &amp; G uses a similar technique.

Our pohysiology is too complicated to get &quot;confused&quot; that is why I say it is a retarded way of putting things, nothin in our body gets &quot;confused&quot;, IMO, our Maker thought things out just right!

So as you say it must be a duck!
laugh.gif

Here is my next cycle routine:

(basic 5x5 workout.)

Frequency: A,rest,B,rest,A,rest,B,rest,etc.

A)Squat, BB Row, Dips, Press.
B)Deadlift, Chin-ups, Bench, Laterals.

Everything is a basic compound, the laterals are to hit more side and rear delts and strengthen the external rotators somewhat.

This routine is very simple, yet comprehensive...hitting every muscle in the body.

My vote for a &quot;Simplify and Win&quot; program is very similar:

A/B
Squats/Deadlifts
Inc Bench/Dips
Military Press/Upright Rows
Chin Ups/Bent Over Rows

Nothing wrong with Lat Raises but you can lift heavier weight with Uprow (newbies who read this search for my &quot;upright row: revisited&quot; thread)

Newbies should also note there is a difference between Chest Dips and Tricep Dips, check out www.exrx.net for videos. We are recommending Chest Dips (wider grip) for lower chest.

I am doing bent arm, 'cheat' laterals..almost a hybrid between strict DB laterals and DB upright rows, a few sets of these and the delts are 'toast'!
smile.gif

Sci

Am I reading correctly A rest B rest?

Superset cycle A then hit cycle B?

Or do you mean rest = day off?
laugh.gif

I am sure its the day off thing else, it is a program for supermen specially in teh 5 x 5 format!
rock.gif

I am sure I interpreted wrong but to clear things up, lest the newbies get confused!
wink.gif

<div>
(stevejones @ Sep. 12 2006,20:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">12's,10's,8's,then 5's to make one 8 week cycle, then 1 week SD, repeat

M,W,F
Legs:
Squats-m,w
leg press-f
leg curls--m,w,f

Back:
Deadlifts-f
Bent Over Rows--m,w
Pullups--m,w,f

Chest
30 degree incline bench-m,w,f
dumbbell flies-m,w,f

Arms:
Tri Pushdowns--m,w
Skullcrushers---f

Shoulders/traps:
barbell shrugs--m,w,f
shoulder press--m,w,f
dumbbell lat raises--m,w,f

Rotator cuffs:
cuban press--m,w,f

Only 1 working set on all exercises (after light to medium warm ups)</div>
Is this your own routine or what you're suggesting for people?

Either way, good stuff. I came to similar methodology in terms of incorporating deadlifts into the cycle, though I'd prefer front squats to leg press.

However, while front squats do represent reduced loading to the back, if you're very strong, even more reduced loading ala leg press might be easier to handle in terms of recoverability.

Here is my current routine...which is extremely simple but comprehensive.

Squats
BB Rows
Chest Dips
Underhand Chins
Seated Press

I am hitting all the muscles in the body with only five exercises, for a more detailed description go here: Sci's &quot;BIG FIVE.&quot;
SIMPLIFY AND WIN!
cool.gif

<div>
(Keystone @ Nov. 17 2006,22:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I do the A and B.

A:

Deads
Flat Bench
Chins
Dips

B:

Squats
Incline Bench
Row
Dips

Keystone</div>
I'm getting ready to do the 5x5 program in a couple days, (need to study - fast!) and except for changing the flat bench for flyes, your setup is what I'll most likely be using.
As far as this routine goes, I AM a newbie, beginner, noob, novice, wannabe. I'm SO used to doing 13 exersizes for a workout, or close to it.

I'm allready thinking of one tweak: one shock set for arms every workout at the end...just to keep their size up if nothing else. I'm probably talking ahead of myself, but arms have been my pride and trademark.

After reading the work of Arthur Jones I realized that less is really more, as long as you are hitting the weights with enough intensity. Failure isn't always necessary but you should hit it from time to time.

I'm doing 6 compounds and then 1 bi, 1 tri for 20 reps using as many sets as I need with the weight I'm working at. My strength, and muscle size I believe, has gone up even though I've lost weight over the past 3 months.

This being compared to the 12-15 exercises I was doing hitting every possible muscle available and eventually plateauing for 6 months. It wasn't till I started doing less that I started seeing gains again.

<div>
(Sun-Tzu @ Dec. 10 2006,15:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It wasn't till I started doing less that I started seeing gains again.</div>
Imagine That!!!
cool.gif

<div>
(stevejones @ Sep. 12 2006,20:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">12's,10's,8's,then 5's to make one 8 week cycle, then 1 week SD, repeat

M,W,F
Legs:
Squats-m,w
leg press-f
leg curls--m,w,f

Back:
Deadlifts-f
Bent Over Rows--m,w
Pullups--m,w,f

Chest
30 degree incline bench-m,w,f
dumbbell flies-m,w,f

Arms:
Tri Pushdowns--m,w
Skullcrushers---f

Shoulders/traps:
barbell shrugs--m,w,f
shoulder press--m,w,f
dumbbell lat raises--m,w,f

Rotator cuffs:
cuban press--m,w,f

Only 1 working set on all exercises (after light to medium warm ups)</div>
Very interesting. You are doing ONE work set for each 'micro cycle'?

My first HST cycle was exactly that..............one work set for 15's, 10's and 5's and I grew (tape measure doesn't lie) and added 4+ lbs of lean bodyweight. It seems to me the intensity stays the same over the 6 weeks because of the added weight, as opposed to saying &quot;I need to hit 15 reps per exercise per workout&quot;.

Is this what you are saying?

My New Simpify and Win Routine (now simpler and with more win):

ATG Squats
Chest Dips
Pull Ups (wide pronated grip)
Bent Over Row
Shoulder Press (any variation: military, BTN, seated)
Abs

No alternations, just a simple routine full of heavy compounds to hit every major muscle group.

Steve: I was so impressed with that routine I saved it in my workout options folder titled as &quot;Steve Jones HST&quot;. Kudos man! Good all-around setup, hits all the bases.

Oh yeah Peak, yours looks good too, don't cry.
sad.gif

I've taken note of this thread, and I'll be showing it off in my 9th Cycle thread that I'll start in the logs section when it is made.

Yeah

Glad this was bumped up again!

I have been using a very simple routine,very similar to Peak Power's:

A/B
Squats/Deadlifts
Inc Bench/Dips
Chin Ups/Bent Over Rows
Military Press/Seated DB press

It is really justthe order that is different and even though I have slowed down to 2 x week it is still working.

Less is more, in the simplify and win way!
cool.gif

Back