Sleep

Lance

I'm really sick of this. Even if i go to bed early, i'll lay there for about an hour, mind rambling, and then eventually get up and do stuff until i'm tired. This usually consist of being on the computer, as of now.

Alot of times i'll actually research sleeping, and one of the tips was if you havn't fallen asleep within a half hour of going to bed, get up and out of bed. Come back when you're tired. It stinks though, i try to get on a good sleeping schedule, and i end up just wasting my time in bed. I'm starting to think the only way to get on a schedule is forced sleep deprivation. For instance, i don't go to bed tonight = i'll fall asleep early tommorow. =)

Does anyone else have these, i hate to say it, insomnia issues? Is there anything that can help?

I'm not talking pills either, i want to do this naturally not rely on anything. I read on a bodybuilding site once about eating higher GI foods before bed? Maybe it's meaning the blood sugar drop? I shall await for others to chime in now, thanks.

I have the same problem. Sleep often eludes me until the late hours of the night, but the problem is that I have to wake up early regardless, so I get 6 hours of sleep a night on average. Sometimes I take pills to get to sleep but they only work for a little while. Once in a while, I've tried doing 15s of squats, and that usually wipes me out enough that I can fall asleep, but not always.

I was thinking food might help because of this reason alone from experience. Whenever i can't fall asleep, if i end up having a late night bad food binge, i'm exhausted afterwards. Can't wait to hit the sack.

That's the main reason i want to get to bed early, it makes my eating goals SO much easier. It's late at night that i get really hungry. Besides that though, there are so many benefits of a good night's sleep. Overall well being and better functioning, more productive, etc.

when do you wake up ? when do you go to sleep ?
why is this in diet and nutrition ? who are we ? how did we get here ?

just wake up early one day, and drag it until your desired hour to go to sleep.
let's say you usually wake up at 7am and go to sleep at 1am
wake up at 5am, you'll be plenty tired by 11pm, and wake up at 7am. voila ( SP ?@!) .

tip: sex before bed will make you awfully tired.

i didn't know where to put this forum wise, i figured the diet thread just b/c i mentioned high gi carbs before bed, lol

it was my plug into a rightful forum, shameless

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh yeah, for the record, i do drink PLENTY of coffee.

well..... just a guess here, but given that the half-life of caffeine can vary wildly from person to person (from 3 to as much as 48 hours, or even longer), I'd say your coffee intake is a possible source of the problem. Even if you drink decaf, you could still have caffeinism (what an ugly word), as most decafs still contain some caffeine. Of course, I'm writing this as I'm enjoying my morning extra-large, fully caffeinated French roast *with* an extra shot of espresso, but I gotta tell ya- if I drank one of these suckers after say, 2pm, I'd be up all night.

Anyway, Lance, try cutting back on the coffee after mid-afternoon- it might help!

Jake

I'll give that a shot. No more coffee (or caffeine in general, although i only get it from coffee) after noon. I'll see how that goes.

Ive actually heard a couple of solutions - taking a hot shower before bed is one suggested tip (something to do with altering body temp) and also Ive heard that taking ZMAs helps people sleep. Whats actually worked for me is sleeping in pajama pants and a thin t shirt (sounds odd but it actually works for me) instead of just boxers. The last 2 nights I laid in bed for more than an hour so I feel your pain man hope this helps some.

I read somewhere that flexing all of the muscles in your body for a few seconds and then relaxing is supposed to help you fall asleep. I've never really tried it, though.

I've also heard that it helps if you use your bed ONLY for sleeping. Don't lie on it during the day, don't sit on it, etc. Your mind should associate your bed with sleeping and nothing else.

A regular sleep cycle might help too.

But personally, I find that nothing puts me to sleep quite like doing the reading I'm assigned in my writing class.
tounge.gif

6x full body HST has cured any sleep problems I have had of late
tounge.gif

I'll go with Jake here and say that the coffee isn't doing your sleep patterns any favours.

Have you tried exhausting yourself - i.e. going to bed as late as possible, then waking up at say 7:30 or whenever the next day (minimal sleep) and then during the coming day, NOT taking any coffee or other stimulant. This is what I do everytime my bio-clock goes whack. Physical exhaustion with the mental tiredness factor to boot is the best cure I know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (savagebeast @ Feb. 18 2005,3:01)] But personally, I find that nothing puts me to sleep quite like doing the reading I'm assigned in my writing class.  
tounge.gif
bingo. I challenge anyone to read Milton and not fall asleep

[b said:
Quote[/b] (savagebeast @ Feb. 18 2005,3:01)]I've also heard that it helps if you use your bed ONLY for sleeping.
I guess that might work for single folks...

All the suggestions listed i've tried. A few times that i seriously tried going to bed at a set time, and failed, i got frustrated, and went on the computer looking up sleep stuff.

Hopefully when i start working again it will be no problem. When i'm working all day, then lift, then get home, i tend to fall asleep much easier and earlier. Obvious

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Or Proust...

Hey now, I like Proust! Milton is completely mistaught at the high school level. It should be read out loud and dramatically.

If you have a restless mind in the evening, one way to go to close your eyes and describe out loud what you're seeing. After about 15-20 minutes, it'll clear out your head and you'll quickly fall asleep.

Should be noted that teenagers tend to be nocturnal by nature. It's part of who you are.

Or . . . you can try entrainment. I do that a lot.

cheers,
Jules

Yeh, we teenagers (or "young adults", now that I'm just out of that phase) tend to be creatures of the night . . . .it does have it's good side though ;)

Back