Soy absorbability

vinosavic

I've read in somewhere (magazine, internet... ) some time ago that protein from soy doesn't get absorbed by the body. It'll leave how it came in. Is there any truth to this ?

protein is protein then.
dozingoff.gif

There are differences in proteins, and generally, animal sources have better amino ratios and/or digestibility than plant sources.

But the protein from a good plant source -- like soy -- is completely absorbable. That's part of the reason that soy protein is on the short list of "good protein sources" for supplementation.

I seriously doubt it.

It there is any validity to it, it is probably related to whole soy, not soy protein isolate, which is pretty much just protein (the stuff you find in powders.)

Also, the general rule for claims about soy on the net:
They're overblown BS. This goes for claims of preventing all diseases as well as claims of feminization, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vinosavic @ July 08 2003,3:15)]My bro tells me he read somewhere (online) that soy inhibits creatine transport.
Wow,

is there anything soy doesnt do? :)

well, I guess this would be something that it doesnt do. Unless you have a link, I will say BS

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It there is any validity to it, it is probably related to whole soy, not soy protein isolate, which is pretty much just protein (the stuff you find in powders.)

I eat around 50-60 gms of cooked defattened Soya flakes in my lunch, which provides me around 25-30 gms of very cheap protein. I am pretty comfortable with the taste etc, although at times they give me gas problem :mad:
Is there any reason I should not be having soya flakes and be going for costlier soya protein isolate :confused:

Bein asian and livin in an asian country exposes me to tons of soy dishes that's why i was hopin that somebody might know an article or study that could refute those ever abundant wild stories about soy. :)

There is no real evidence about any of the 'stories' that you hear about soy. Sure T-Mag may post a lot of stuff, but notice its a large amount of foreign language journals (can they really read all those languages?)
Fertility research is still lacking, the research on infants (who get the highest dose/weight out of anyone who eat soy)
is also lacking, but what is available is not really showing anything.

If anything, soy protein seems to be good. I am planning to try it -- lately I have not been taking enough, so I am planning to use soy.

I won't cite any pubmed study abstracts here unless someone asks for one, but from what I have seen, one can summarize the benefits as follows:

(1) SPI decreases estrogen in males
(2) It does NOT decrease the level of testerone in one's body
(3) It is more or as anabolic as casein
(4) It is slow digesting, like casein.
(5) It is more lipolytic than casein (per calorie).
(6) It is anti-carcinogenic (as WPI is).

Some of these properties have been attributed to phytoestrogen, and some to isoflavone.

I am actually having a difficulty coming with an abstract that shows I am right. It seems that there just isn't a good study on this issue of whether soy is fast & slow acting protein.

Depends

Soy isolate will be a slowish protein, but soy hydrolysate will be a fast protien, much like any protein hydrolysate.

Other than that, I dont think there has been a trial comparing soy like there has been with casein and whey

Back