SS: Novice Routine

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jun. 28 2008,1:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Interesting website...

I was encouraged by your posts to begin a PSMF once again. This past month has been zombie hell for me: I've only had two workouts since May 23, and haven't been tracking my nutrients since then. Your posts have helped me get back on track. Thank you!</div>
Thanks for letting me know that TR!

I never would have thought that my ramblings would have encouraged anybody, especially since I am so inconsistent myself. No BS, it really makes me happy that I was able to positively influence you and help you out.

FF,

Yeah, I have watched that video a few times already.
Remember Rip's fundamental philosophy, which is to build functional strength for sports, not training for the sake of it and not trying to lift as much weight as possible. If you keep that in mind, it is not surprising at all.

I hope someday I get strong enough that I have to worry about whether or not to incorporate power lifting techniques and training methods. I think I will be stuck in Ripland for quite a long, long time.

<div>
(nipponbiki @ Jun. 28 2008,5:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">FF,

Yeah, I have watched that video a few times already.
Remember Rip's fundamental philosophy, which is to build functional strength for sports, not training for the sake of it and not trying to lift as much weight as possible. If you keep that in mind, it is not surprising at all.

I hope someday I get strong enough that I have to worry about whether or not to incorporate power lifting techniques and training methods. I think I will be stuck in Ripland for quite a long, long time.</div>
I figured you had. It's a nice and short video. I heard him say in the vid the inent was 'trying to get stronger rather than lifting as much as possible' - not a direct quote.

in all honesty, I really don't have any idea how to bench. I'm trying to use a powerlifting style, but every time things get &quot;hard&quot;...my elbows flare.

<div>
(nipponbiki @ Jun. 28 2008,6:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I never would have thought that my ramblings would have encouraged anybody, especially since I am so inconsistent myself. No BS, it really makes me happy that I was able to positively influence you and help you out.</div>
Yup, I find that posting on this website is at least as good as having a training partner (and I don't have to take turns in the power rack...
wink.gif
).

Played tennis on Monday for the first time in 14 or so years.

What can I say, I fell wrong after a jump and really messed up my right foot. Could not walk for a few days, still cannot raise my toes. No broken bones, but don't know when I can do squats, deads, or standing presses again.

I will do just an upper body routine for a few weeks I guess. Bench press and weighted chins/dips is about all I can do I guess.

Using running shoes to play tennis is partially to blame, but I suppose the blame belongs on me for jumping right into it trying to play as if I never stopped and I am still a teenager. Playing right after watching that unbelievable Wimbledon final probably didn't help either! Haha, man, I am really like a kid sometimes. Never had such a serious injury before. This sucks.

I can totally understand you being inspired to go out and run around the court like a madman after that final. Best one for years and years. In the end I was really happy that Nadal got it.

That sucks about your foot. I rolled over on my right foot carrying a chair downstairs earlier this year (missed a step) and it took about 8 weeks for the swelling to go down and the pain to go. It's fine again now. As long as you are sure nothing is broken, you'll just have to be patient.

Yeah, I had X-rays taken to make sure.

The pain was so bad the first day and I literally could not walk, I was really getting worried that I did some serious damage. But it is getting noticeably better bit by bit everyday, so I guess it can't be that bad.

Bench Press: 1 x 3 @ 88.5 kg, 1 x 4 @ 98.5 kg, 1 x 5 @ 93.5 kg

Weighted Chinups: 1 x 5 @ BW, 1 x 5 @ BW+10 kg, 1 x 5 @ BW+15 kg

This is my first workout since I injured my foot. I also caught a nasty summer cold, so I pretty much have not been doing anything—no lifting, no dieting, no site updating. My foot is getting better, but I still am not ready for squats or deadlifts. I will not be taking videos of these workouts as they will mostly be just bench press and weighted dips/chins. Today’s workout was also the first in 3 weeks, so it was more of a light workout just to see where I am. Terribly sore though.

*Workout performed Sunday night*

Weighted Dips: 1 X 10 @ BW, 1 X 5 @ BW+20 kg, 1 X 5 @ BW+30 kg, 1 X 5 @ BW+35 kg

Standing Press: 1 X 5 @ 40 kg, 1 X 5 @ 56.5 kg

Weighted Chinups: 2 X 5 @ 15 kg

Today I did weighted dips, which I have not in over a year. I forgot how much I like this exercise. After doing the dips, I just could not help myself and did some standing presses. Although I was able to do the last set at 56.5 kg, it was definitely a little too much too soon. Two straight sets of bodyweight + 15 kg for chinups was pretty hard actually.

Without doing squats, deads, or both in the same workout, it really feels like I am not doing anything. It does however allow me to focus on form for just these exercises as I always focus so much on squats normally.

Good stuff NB. So your forearm is ok with presses and chin-ups? Dips don't seem to bother mine too much but presses and chin-ups are now just too uncomfortable. It would seem that complete rest is all I can try now other than have some sort of steroid injection into the area and I'm not keen on that idea.

I quite agree about not feeling like you've done much if you leave out squats and/or deads. I've been adding in some type of short (around 5 min) CF workout to really get my heart rate up after the heavy HST stuff is done. Then I definitely feel like I've had a workout!

Hey Lol,

Terribly sorry to hear about your situation. I for one am not really capable of complete rest unless I have the flu! Haha. So good luck with that. You sound like me in that even when you know better, you still push yourself.

My forearm is OK, I don't think I have ever had a problem with it so far. What was bothering me before was in my upper arm somewhere just above the elbow under the bicep. It seems to have gotten better, but we will find out over the next few weeks.

Right now, I am still in shock at how much strength I lost after the PSMF diet and not working out for a few weeks. I am getting back into tennis and was planning to take a lesson once a week, but I found a tennis school that has a cool program where you can attend as many lessons as you want for the first two months, so I will take advantage of that and go at least 5 times a week. So I don't think I will getting into Crossfit just yet and I also am having a little trouble figuring out how (when) to train and do this tennis thing at the same time. But I got new shoes, new Babolat racket like Nadal, and other little things, and I am ready to give this thing a serious go. Want to get into leagues and stuff as soon as possible.

By the way, I also wanted a Concept2 but they are too expensive here. I ended up getting a Tunturi, which is also highly rated and much cheaper, at least here in Japan. Anyway, that was over 2 years ago.

You are right about resting! So, what I'll be doing is focussing on anything I can do that doesn't seem to aggravate my situation. That means squats and deads. So it's not all bad!
biggrin.gif

Hey, all the best with your tennis. Even if you can only manage one full-body heavy training session a week for the next two months, that should see you maintaining your strength levels pretty well (just as long as you get enough calories for all the extra activity).

I'm going to hold out for a C2 rower as I want to compete with some other folks and need to know we are comparing apples with apples. Expensive, yes, but it's about the cost of one year's family gym membership which I don't have to spend. It should last a few good years too.

Back