Starting Program

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by Ndean80, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Ndean80

Ndean80 New Member

I have a few questions. First I know I need to figure out my maxes for each lift, What is the best way to go about that? secondly do I need to find out my 15 and 10, and so forth and so on?
    Please help.

2. Browner

Browner Well-Known Member

When I first found out mine, I spent quite a bit of time in the gym finding out he maxes for my lifts that I will be doing on my program. However here is a calculator that might help, it wont be as accurate as spending time working them out accurately but its a good starting point.

http://muslimbodybuilding.com/one-rep-max-calculator/

Good Luck

3. mark0101

mark0101 New Member

To get the most accurate numbers, you will have to go in and find them over 3 workouts this week. (E.g. Monday 15RM numbers, then your 10RM numbers wed, and your 5s on friday...then take 9-14 days off and then start your cycle). To find the numbers I recommend a general warm-up (e.g. 5 minutes on a rowing machine, skipping, etc., then some light stretching. Then to ramp up just start really light for 15-30 reps checking your form is perfect, wait a few minutes, adjust to what you think you can do, and test what you can actually do. For the 5RM's you will want to ramp up the weight slowly with a couple lighter sets first, but you should have a good guess of what it will be by then.

4. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

5. wungun

wungun Member

I think, for me, I didn't spend a whole lot of time figuring out my maxes...
    You probably have a pretty good idea already from your previous routines.
    If I feel I'm coming up short of my max, I'll just add more weight than I normally would for the next workout day. If I feel I've over did it, I'll repeat a weight on the next exercise day. Once you complete a full cycle, you'll have a good idea where you should be and where to go from there.
    It really helps to keep track! I use an app on my phone, and it lets me know when I set a "new record" for lifts. It's great!