Sticking points - How to beat them?

I am bumping this thread up a little just to keep the interest and may even become a little like a mosquitoe in the middle of summer, but...darn I want a solution...and more proposals
laugh.gif

So far...Iam getting addicted to these ATG squats stuff...and besides QUAD's and the other guys ideas...which are good I am going to try them out.

Last night again I managed 4 rep with 90 Kg, 10 Kgs better than I used to be able to do. One thing, I don't know how many of you guys feel the same...I prefer to ramp up the weights bit by bit, may 10 to 15 kg at a time with the big exercises, and that way I get the confidence to be able to lift my targets...should I not do this?
rock.gif

I need to rope Liege into this he may have some more insights for all of us.

I find that with my heavier sets I benefit from starting out light and then pyramiding up to my heaviest sets. So, if I'm squatting with 315lbs I will do 1x10@135, 1x5@225, 1x3@275, 1x2-3@295, 3x5@315.

If I don't do the smaller increments first I find it harder to do the last heavy sets. I feel more mentally prepared for the heavy loads and my joints feel better if I do them.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If I don't do the smaller increments first I find it harder to do the last heavy sets. I feel more mentally prepared for the heavy loads and my joints feel better if I do them.</div>

So...we on the same boat, then!
biggrin.gif

I find the same, only I end up not doing the whole 3 sets then, only sometimes if I feel up to it!

<div>
(Fausto @ Aug. 08 2006,15:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If I don't do the smaller increments first I find it harder to do the last heavy sets. I feel more mentally prepared for the heavy loads and my joints feel better if I do them.</div>

So...we on the same boat, then!
biggrin.gif

I find the same, only I end up not doing the whole 3 sets then, only sometimes if I feel up to it!</div>
if your hitting a plateu and thats the only way around it then go for it..some people feel more comfortable pyramiding up
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I find the same, only I end up not doing the whole 3 sets then, only sometimes if I feel up to it! </div>
Yeah, once I am near my 5RM load I might just do 2 work sets or do 3 but not worry about getting 5 reps on the second and third sets.

A few ways I have done squats and deads and had good results.

When using an HST rep cycle, I don't stop at 15, 10 or 5. If my 10RM in squats is 405, and my first workout in the cycle is 350, I won't stop at 10, but continue to let's say 14, but never failure. I always hit a heavier 10rm this way. It's brutal with deadlifts, so I always start heavier and use smaller increments through the 15's.

I hate pyramids and think they waste energy (my warm-ups are 135x4, 225x2, 315x1). After doing a 3x5 and 4 weeks of 5x5 (3x5 with deads) I think doing more top sets is the way to go. If I can't make 5x5, then I'll still hit my 25 reps, I'll just do more sets, even if I have to do 385x5,5,4,4,3,3,1.

My best gains in strength have always been when gaining bodyweight, though I'm sure that's true for most of us. Even when it was fat, that's why I didn't care, as long as there was more weight on that bar who cares.

I do believe a strong deadlift will carry-over to the squat. Fausto, what are you pulling?

Also, 20 rep squats are pretty hard to beat for strength. Done properly, and not to failure, a rep or 2 short, you should be able to do them 2x a week and add 5 pounds a workout for 6-8 weeks.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Aug. 07 2006,06:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Until then, I'd tend to vote for partials.  With benches, not squats, I once did make dramatic jumps in my max by using partials.  </div>
Just from a purely anecdotal setting, benches achieve far better results form partials than the likes of squatting. Especially when one is not wearing a squat suit.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I do believe a strong deadlift will carry-over to the squat. Fausto, what are you pulling?</div>

Liege, not doing full deads this cycle, but my best was a brutal 120 Kg x 5, it was brutal to say teh least, I hate deads but I Know they are the best, will put them in for my next cycle.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Especially when one is not wearing a squat suit. </div>

Don't wear one of those but a elastic brace which helps nicely, sometimes when going for PR's I'll top it up with a lifting belt, the pressure on the back is enourmous and scares the s..t out of me!
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys and Liege...you definiell got me adicted to ATG and other power lifts, not so clued up about clean, snatches and th elike but I think I must learn them ands start them up, any clues?
rock.gif

This link has videos of olympic lifts: http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

There are better ones, I just can't find them right now, I'll post them when I find them. It helps to get with someone who knows the lifts. Start light and get the proper form down.

I have never used a belt when lifting. I think if the pressure on your back is so bad when you squat you may need to check your form.

<div>
(liegelord @ Aug. 10 2006,20:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think if the pressure on your back is so bad when you squat you may need to check your form.</div>
Excpet when the belt is used to increase IAP and increase stability during the lift.

Personally, I think the pressure is a normal thing (compression of the vertebrae) as it does not affect me afterwards.

I also use the belt to help the lift as per Aaaron's quote <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Except when the belt is used to increase IAP and increase stability during the lift.</div>

I also add that the use of a belt is a very personal thing, does not really have always the source issue of lack of form (darn I should know how to lift
biggrin.gif
), with the lighter lifts or up to a certain weight in the warmup I don't use it so as to work the lower back some and get it stronger!

Hey...this is not going bad at all, yesterday went up to 100 Kg ATG, my eldest kid helped me (hardly - just kept his hands on my belt) through the sticking point!

It seems to me that it is more of a mind thing (scared of getting stuck in the hole)
biggrin.gif

I've become convinced to start doing ATG squats myself. I work out at home, but no worries about needing one of my sons to spot me.

I have a power rack and just set the stop bars a bit below the lowest point that the bar goes to. If I get stuck I can always bottom out then lower the bar a few more inches to get out from under.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have a power rack and just set the stop bars a bit below the lowest point that the bar goes to. If I get stuck I can always bottom out then lower the bar a few more inches to get out from under. </div>

You such a lucky son of a gun
laugh.gif
That is what i wanted all along, but could not find one at all for sale to public, (South Africa tends to be a bit behind with some things).

A safety cage or power cage is the right &quot;animal&quot; to have at home! Then you can go as &quot;ape&quot; as you like and if it gets too much, just let go!
biggrin.gif

Back